The MEXT scholarship program offered by the government of Japan to start in 2022 is open to foreign students whose country of residence maintains diplomatic relations with the Asian country. The scholarship will allow you to obtain a bachelor’s degree in the area of humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences. The duration of the scholarship is different for each country.
MEXT scholarships are a great opportunity to study for free in Japan and experience its enriched culture. Cover tuition, accommodation, and travel expenses with many more benefits.
Institutions where the studies will be carried out:
Universities of Japan.
Levels and areas of studies:
- Social Sciences.
- Natural Sciences.
Who can participate ?:
Hispanic and Latin American students whose native country maintains diplomatic relations with Japan: Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, and Venezuela.
Value of the scholarship:
- The total amount of the scholarship allocation is 117,000 Yen per month, you can add 2,000 or 3,000 Yen monthly to those scholarship recipients who carry out research in specially designated regions.
- Education Fees: Fees for the entrance examination, matriculation, and tuition at universities will be paid by MEXT scholarships.
- Travel Expenses: MEXT scholarships will cover all travel expenses, including airline tickets to and from Japan.
- Accommodation: Full accommodation expenses are covered by MEXT scholarships.
Conditions that participants must meet:
To obtain the scholarship, certain requirements must be met:
- Students of foreign nationality from nations that maintain diplomatic relations with the Republic of Japan. If the applicant possesses Japanese nationality as dual citizenship and his application was made in a country of residence other than Japan, he will have to renounce Japanese nationality.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age at the time of admission to the university.
- Applicants must meet any of the following conditions: Applicants who have completed 12 years of education in countries other than Japan. Or applicants who have completed their studies in a school equivalent to a Japanese upper secondary school in countries other than Japan. Or applicants who have successfully passed an academic qualification exam equivalent to the completion of 12 years of schooling in countries other than Japan.
- Demonstrate interest in learning the Japanese language and be willing to deepen your understanding and culture of the Asian country, once you begin your first year of academic study in Japanese.
- Present medical certification that demonstrates your optimal physical and mental state.
- Obtain the student visa which must be processed at the Japanese diplomatic mission located in the applicant’s country of origin, enter Japan with the student’s residence status.
Documents required to apply for MEXT scholarships in Japan:
- Motivation letter listing the key points on why you are applying for MEXT scholarships.
- Statement of purpose outlining the study schedule in Japan.
- Transcripts of all school years of the school/university attended.
- Certificate (s) of graduation from the school/university you attended.
- Letter of recommendation from a classroom teacher or principal of the last school you attended.
- Copy of the medical certificate.
- Curriculum vitae
Instructions to apply:
- The applicant must complete the online application form on the website.
- Provide all required documents in the application form.
- Japanese diplomatic missions will carry out the first selection of candidates by examining the submitted application documents, written academic examinations, and interviews.
- Applicants who have passed the First Assessment will be recommended for MEXT Scholarships. MEXT Scholarships will then carry out the Second Selection of recommended applicants and decide the scholarship recipients.
Until May 28, 2022