This scholarships is about the preference given to those whose journey parallels Dr. Hsiao’s who struggled to obtain his education in the midst of financial uncertainty as a young graduate student from China. He devoted his career to academia as a professor in the field of economics. He also was committed to giving back to those in need, including lecturing in China upon his retirement to educate the post-Mao era of economists who are now leading the country.
The mission of the Asian Pacific Fund is to strengthen the Asian and Pacific Islander community in the Bay Area by increasing philanthropy and supporting the organizations that serve their most vulnerable community members. Ten scholarships are given to help undergraduate and graduate students achieve their education goals.
Eligibility & Requirements
- This scholarship is open to graduate students in social science or economics programs.
- Applicants must demonstrate financial need, with preference given to those researching topics that benefit Asian communities in need.
- Ethnic heritage: preference for Asian heritage though not required
- Residency: US citizen, resident or foreign national
- Applicants must be pursuing a graduate degree in the social sciences, economics preferred but not required.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0.
- This is awarded to a graduate student attending US-based college or university and pursuing a graduate degree in economics.
- Students of Chinese descent are given preference for this scholarship.
- Students pursuing a career in academia (teaching or research) are also given a higher preference.
How to Apply
For the application, a form will be needed. Along with the answers to essays, letters of recommendation, and a transcript.
- Letter of recommendation from two of the applicants counselors/teachers/professors.
- If chosen, finalists must show their FAFSA student aid report.
- There are a number of essays that will need to be answered and thought-out thoroughly.
This scholarship awards $1,000 to one student annually. The reward will go to tuition fees.
Deadline & Annual
The scholarship application for the 2021 deadline has already passed. The next deadline is May 17, 2022. This is an annual scholarship that has a deadline on every May 17th of each year.
This scholarships is not renewable to the same student who wins.