The Shui Kuen and Allen Chin Scholarship was established by the children of Shui Kuen and Allen Chin to honor the values of their parents. Scholarships for undergraduate students who are working or have worked, or (who have a parent formerly or currently employed, in) an Asian-owned or Asian cuisine restaurant and are involved in community advocacy and social justice work.
This scholarship was also established to help those that may have lost a loved one and to help the recipient to realize their dreams can come true.
Eligibility & Requirements
- Incoming first-year students at two- or four-year schools qualify if they or their parents work at an Asian-owned or Asian cuisine restaurant.
- Academic achievement. Potential to succeed, including time management skills & challenging goals.
- Applicants must show personal strengths, including overcoming hardships & understanding restaurant worker environment.
- Community advocacy and social justice work on behalf of Asian American, immigrant, gay and lesbian, and/or other progressive causes.
- Any field major is accepted.
- A minimum GPA 3.0.
- Citizenship status is not required for this scholarship.
How to Apply
Applicants will need to have and submit:
- Application form
- Official Transcript
- FAFSA – Finical Aid
- Recommendation letter (2) – Two letters of recommendation, at least one of which is from a current teacher or professor. Letters should be on official school or organization letterhead. Please include the students first and last name.
- SAT scores (freshman only)
- There are a number of essays that will need to be answered.
- The applicant should put their current field study or at least mention their current study.
The home office is in San Francisco, California, United States. If the applicants do not fill out and turn in every bit of the required documents they will not be considered for the scholarship.
The scholarship awards $1,000 to two students annually.This scholarship is to help undergraduate and graduate students achieve their educational goals. This reward can not be applied for again for renewed after being accepted as the recipient.
Deadline & Annual
The scholarship deadline is March 12, 2022, which means the 2021 application window has passed. Applicants will have to wait until the year 2022 before the open window is allowing application again. This is an annual scholarship that has a deadline every March 12th.