It’s no secret that the United States is one of the most expensive nations to pursue higher education. However, don’t let that put you off, as there are hundreds of opportunities to get funding for your studies.
In this article, we have listed the International Scholarships to Study in the USA.
As an international student, you will not be eligible for funds earmarked specifically for United States citizens. However, as US universities give priority to internationalization, the number of international scholarships to study in the United States has grown. There are also some American universities that offer blind admission to the needs of international students.
Below is a selection of American Scholarships for International Students. , some funded by the US government, some funded by private organizations, and some funded by specific institutions. Good luck with your applications!
How to have fun getting a scholarship to study in the USA
The first step to take when it comes to obtaining a scholarship to study in the US is to make inquiries to your school. Find out if your school offers scholarships, and if they do, find out once you’re eligible to apply.
Keep in mind that no matter where you live or go to school, your first step when looking for scholarships should be your school’s financial aid office.
Can an international student get a full scholarship in the US?
Of course. As an international student, you can get a fully funded scholarship in the US that can cover all of your education expenses. In fact, in the US, almost all universities have scholarship programs, most of which are open to applications from international students.
For example, Columbia University in New York awarded the highest average amount of aid, giving nearly 300 international students an average of $71,069.
It’s just that most colleges will wait for you to submit your SAT or ACT test scores before you can apply for any of their scholarships. Once you can get it, you can apply for it.
According to the Fulbright Commission, more than 600 American universities offer scholarships worth $20,000 or more to international students.
GPA requirement for a scholarship
If you are an international student, you must have a high GPA before you can qualify for a scholarship. Although the GPA score varies from college to college, you should have a GPA of 3.5 to 3.7 on a 4.0 scale. This is what most scholarship providers are looking for. Or they may assess your particular class rank (for example, the top 5% or 10% of your class). Others look at ACT or SAT scores.
Now let’s take a look at some scholarships available for international students in the USA. These scholarships are classified based on:
- Government-Funded US Scholarships for International Students
- US non-government scholarships for international students.
- USA Scholarships for Asian Students
- Scholarships for female students
- Scholarships for Graduate Students
- American scholarships for students from developing countries
Government Funded US Scholarships for International Students
Fulbright Program for Foreign Students
Perhaps the most popular of the government-funded US scholarships for international students, Fulbright offers scholarships for graduate students, young professionals, and artists to study in the United States for a year or more. Open to international students in all fields except medicine.
Hubert Humphrey Scholarship Program
This is a non-degree scholarship program for experienced international professionals who wish to pursue 10 months of academic study in the US. Although funding does not support degrees, students can study and develop their knowledge at academic institutions across the country.
US non-government scholarships for international students.
- Abbey Road Summer Scholarships – Offering US$1,000 worth of US scholarships for language and art students, as well as US$500 scholarships for “summer enrichment” at in-state institutions.
- The Next Gen Scholarship Fund: scholarships to study in the US for non-residents and international students. Applicants must have at least a 3.0 GPA (grade point average) and be enrolled in a program at an accredited university within Washington DC, Maryland, or Virginia. Value of 1,000 US dollars.
- Tortuga Backpacks Study Abroad Scholarship – Awarded twice a year to passionate international students to study in the US. Valued at $1,000.
- David P. Shapiro Annual Leukemia Scholarships: Two annual scholarships, worth US$1,000 each, are open to current or prospective students in the US diagnosed with leukemia.
For Asian students:
- East-West Center Scholarships and Scholarships – Scholarships to study in the United States within selected institutions, aimed at international students from the Asia-Pacific region.
- Japan-US Friendship Commission – An initiative led by Japan and the United States, the commission offers scholarship programs to Japanese students who wish to study in the United States (and vice versa).
For the students:
- AAUW International Scholarships – Scholarships offered by the American Association of University Women for international students to study in the United States.
- MIT-Zaragoza Women in Logistics and SCM Scholarship: American scholarships for female students of any age, ethnicity, or nationality, to study at MIT’s Zaragoza Logistics Center.
Scholarships For Graduate Students:
- Rotary Peace Scholarships – Scholarships to study in the US awarded to master’s students studying at one of Rotary’s “Peace Centers” (such as Duke University or the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill).
For students from developing countries:
- Aga Khan International Foundation Scholarship Program – Scholarships for international postgraduate students from African countries.
- Mandela Washington Scholarship for Young African Leaders – Scholarships for African students between the ages of 25 and 35 from sub-Saharan African countries to study in the US and gain leadership and entrepreneurial skills.
- MasterCard Foundation Scholarships – Scholarships for African students to study in the United States and Africa.
University-specific scholarships for international students.
- American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship – Undergraduate scholarships to study in the United States at American University in Washington DC. For international students who show leadership potential.
- Brandeis University Wien International Scholarship Program – Funding opportunity for high-achieving students interested in contributing to the student community.
- Clark University Global Scholars Program – Scholarships of no less than $10,000 and a guaranteed taxable stipend of $2,500 for a paid internship are available to first-year international applicants.
- Emory University Need-Based Scholarship Program – Funding opportunities for international students at Emory University. Students must demonstrate financial need.
- Harvard University Scholarships – Harvard offers a variety of (very competitive) international scholarships for students from all over the world.
- Illinois State University International Awards – The State of Illinois offers tuition waivers, merit awards, and graduate assistantships for incoming international students.
- Iowa State University International Merit Scholarships – Merit- based scholarship program for high-achieving international students.
- Michigan State University International Scholarships – Various grants and scholarships for international students to study in the US at MSU.
- New York University Wagner International Scholarships – American scholarships to study at New York University Wagner Graduate School of Public Service.
- University of Arkansas International Scholarships – Funding opportunities for international students from different backgrounds and nationalities.
- University of Iowa Scholarships for International Freshmen – Various scholarships for international students starting their freshman year in the fall.
- The University of Minnesota International Excellence Scholarships – Two scholarships of varying amounts awarded to full-time international students at UM.
- University of Oregon International Scholarships – American scholarships to study at the University of Oregon, intended for international students from around the world.
- University of Wisconsin Superior Non-Resident Tuition Waiver Program – Tuition waiver for international students who demonstrate financial need at the University of Wisconsin.
International scholarships for Brazilian students
These are some of the international scholarships for Brazilians who want to study in the United States:
- Central Washington University, USA – International Awards: This is a partially funded undergraduate and postgraduate scholarship to study programs in all subjects.
- International Merit and Need-Based Awards in the USA, 2023: This scholarship is open at Chapman University as a Partially Funded Undergraduate Scholarship to study All Subject Programs.
- UCLA Jorge Paulo Lemann Scholarship and Scholarship – Partial Postgraduate Scholarships for Brazilian Students at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).