When it comes to studying abroad and in a different country like Laos, it can be a taxing moment when it comes down to researching what available scholarships there are to pursue. From government grants, to university entrance scholarships that are handed out upon sending in the submission admissions application.
We will break down what scholarships and fellowships are available in each country, along with the title of those scholarships. This way it can be much easier during a student’s research when they decide to look up the full details of that scholarship to see if they are an eligible match.
Along with scholarships, we will place any internships or work-study programs that may be readily available for international students.
Below is a list of scholarships available to both domestic citizens of Laos and international students interested in studying in the country.
Scholarships in Laos
- National University of Laos Scholarships
- Souphanouvong University Scholarships
- Savannakhet University Scholarships
- Lao-Korean College Scholarships
- University of Health Sciences Laos Scholarships
- Elizabeth Greenshields Foundation Grant
- KYTESOL ESL/LEP Student Scholarship Opportunity
- Frederick and Demi Seguritan Scholarship
- Pearson PTE Academic Scholarship
- The David L. Boren Scholarship
- BeArt Presets Academic Scholarships
- Education and Exchange Programs – U.S. Embassy in Laos
- ASEAN Scholarships for Lao PDR
- Australia Awards Laos
- The Center for Lao Studies Scholarship Summer Program
- The Freeman Awards for Study in Asia Foudnation
- The Asian Art and Religion Fellowships
- The Humanities Fellowship Program – Laos Studies
- The Mekong Region Fellowship Program
- The Henry Luce Foundation
- Blakemore Freeman Fellowship for Advanced Asian Language Study.
- The Political and Economic Development in Southeast Asia scholarship program
- The Freeman-ASIA Award Program
- The Association of Teachers of Japanese Bridging Project Scholarships
Student Visa in Laos
Yes, international students will need to acquire a student visa before arriving in Laos. As standard procedure it is easier on the student to acquire a student visa before arriving so there is no problems with crossing the border into the country. At times, it can be difficult for student upon arrival if they do not have all of their paperwork stating which university they are attending in Laos, or what they intend to study. Along with not having a student visa to all the student to stay the full academic term.
Learn the Local Language
This is one of the bigger points for any country. Each country releases a huge amount of ‘language scholarships’ that is dedicated to the students who are currently learning the local language and who intend to pursue a higher education in the cultural history of Laos.
Each country will have a language proficiency exam to place ethe student in classes where they are familiar with the language. This is a regular occurrence to ensure that the student does not immediately fall behind in their coursework because simply they do not understand the language.
Most universities will place international students into free language programs so the students can begin basic level exercises to help them to learn the local or official language of the country.