Information, they say, is power. That’s why your favorite platform kiiky.com is here. As a student who wants to study in the US, UK, or any other English-speaking country, the IELTS exam remains one of the non-negotiable requirements.
What if we reveal to you a way to study without an IELTS student visa? As we said, information is power.
Our update today will reveal a full rundown of how to get a student visa without IELTS. We will also include everything you need to know about IELTS and the countries you can study without IELTS. With the help of our research and industry experts, we’ve made an easy and detailed update on everything you need to know.
What is IELTS?
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is a language proficiency test and one of the most widely used and recognized forms of English in education and migration around the world.
IELTS training is an internationally recognized system for assessing English language proficiency in four areas for non-native speakers who want to study or work in an English-speaking environment:
- Active listening
IELTS preparation has become one of the most trusted types of assessment in English since its establishment in 1989 and has been approved by more than 8,000 universities, businesses and immigration organizations worldwide.
IELTS testing techniques are designed to assess a candidate’s ability to use English in a variety of circumstances.
It is mostly used by international students who intend to study in countries like Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the United States. However, some universities in these countries may admit students without an IELTS student visa.
Can I study abroad without IELTS?
Can I study abroad without the IELTS student visa? Yes, it is possible to study abroad without IELTS.
A good number of universities in European countries that make IELTS compulsory waive the IELTS criteria. Some of them are in the most searched countries like the UK, USA, Canada, etc.
Without an IELTS student visa, you can comfortably apply for admission to study at these schools, which we will list in this article.
Is it mandatory to study abroad with IELTS or TOEFL?
Every day we receive numerous questions from our readers, the most common of which is: “Can we study abroad without IELTS or TOEFL?” As a result, the answer is YES.
You get a student visa without IELTS. Everyone fantasizes about studying abroad, especially with a fully funded scholarship.
There are many European universities that do not require students to take the IELTS/TOEFL test.
Many students think that all universities require IELTS and TOEFL. So don’t bother; it is not happening in every university or country on the planet.
Can I get a study visa without IELTS?
Yes, you can apply for a student visa without the IELTS test. The UK and US may have certain criteria that you will need to meet, but Canada, on the other hand, does not issue study visas per se, but rather study permits which are always included with a temporary resident visa.
They are different requirements for different countries. Just keep in mind that you can get a student visa without IELTS.
Below we have provided a detailed look at where you can study on an IELTS student visa.
Is it possible to study in Canada without IELTS?
The first and most basic step is to research the university’s international student admission requirements! While some elite universities prefer IELTS, many others, including the TOEFL and the new Duolingo English Test, will accept other forms of English language assessment in addition to IELTS or TOEFL.
Also, you can study in Canada without an IELTS student visa if you have already spent four years or more in an English medium school, even in universities that require it.
Some universities, including Concordia University, Brock University, and Memorial University, allow students who have not taken the IELTS or TOEFL tests; however, applicants must meet certain criteria established by the school.
Is it possible to study in the UK without IELTS?
Yes, you can study in the UK without taking IELTS if you apply to universities that provide alternative requirements for overseas students, such as proof of a GPA of at least 60% in secondary school English, a BA in English, or a pre-session language course.
You will need to show the immigration authorities a document from the university stating that you are eligible for a student visa without the IELTS test.
The following are the main prerequisites for obtaining a UK study visa without taking the IELTS test:
- A document signed by your university stating that you are eligible to apply for a UK study visa without having taken the IELTS test.
- An acceptance letter from a university in the UK.
- Applicants can also take the Secure English Language Test (SELT), which is required by the government.
Is it possible to study in the United States without IELTS?
Yes, you can get a student visa without IELTS in the United States. IELTS is not a federal requirement for students studying in the United States.
This means that your institution (or university, since we are in the United States) determines your required English language certification.
That concludes the first step. Just check what English language assessment they require and who may be excluded from having to take any English language certificates before contemplating any university.
For example, if you have attended an English-language middle school, many schools may allow you to study without the IELTS student visa (or comparable assessment), and many will use a Conditional Admissions Program (CAP).
A CAP is a university-specific program that allows qualified international students to enroll on the condition that they attend the university’s own English language program or another Intensive English Language Program (IELP).
Is it possible to study in Australia without IELTS?
To answer this question directly, the answer is a resounding yes, but only under certain circumstances.
Students seeking admission to Australia’s top universities can apply without IELTS scores only if they studied in countries whose diplomas are recognized by the Australian Education System.
And you are probably wondering how. The following is a list of prerequisites proposed by some of the best universities in Australia, which accept applications even if the candidate meets a condition:
- Applicants who completed their upper secondary education in one of the recognized nations and whose primary language of instruction is English.
- Students from India who apply can get an IELTS waiver as long as they can show their AISSCE certificate issued by CBSE.
- State Board students with a grade of 65 percent or above from West Bengal, Karnataka, Maharashtra, and Gujarat.
- It also exempted students who had completed an undergraduate or postgraduate program at a recognized university or institution where English was the medium of instruction from submitting IELTS scores.
- Students who have completed a minimum of one year of full or part-time post-secondary study at a recognized institution may also be excused.
- Students who have demonstrated English language skills in a paid or part-time professional context for at least three years are also eligible.
Is it possible to study in Europe without IELTS?
Many students who want to study abroad prefer European universities and colleges. The good news is that many of them do not need IELTS or TOEFL scores.
Before you can apply for a student visa without IELTS in Europe, you will need to assess yourself through the process below.
- Make a list of the courses and universities in Europe to which you want to apply.
- Browse all the colleges on your list and determine which one is the best fit for your career.
- You may be required to give a personal interview if your profile has been shortlisted.
- If you pass your video interview, you will receive an acceptance letter from the university to which you applied.
- The later stage is to pay the tuition fees.
Which countries give study visas without IELTS for immigrants?
Without an IELTS score, you can get a visa and migrate to selected countries.
Most Asian, South American, Southern European, and African countries do not require IELTS for immigration because they are unlikely to want foreigners in their countries.
However, if your first language is English, you do not need to take this test.
Studying in India without IELTS
An increasing number of students are choosing to study in India due to the technical growth of the country.
The University of Delhi, the University of Mumbai, the University of Calcutta, and the Banaras Hindu University as well as IIT institutions are among the thousands of universities where you can study without an IELTS student visa.
Studying in Canada without IELTS
Many Canadian universities do not require candidates to have an IELTS score.
This is mainly for students who come from countries where English is spoken as a first language.
In addition, students without an IELTS student visa must go through a rigorous admission process in Canada.
For example, you cannot provide proof of language proficiency if you attended school or lived in an area where English is the primary language of instruction for the past four years.
Studying in Australia without IELTS
If you are applying for an Australian Government Scholarship, application to Australian Universities is free. You can search for Australian universities that offer admission without an IELTS student visa or TOEFL results.
With a world-class education and a host of job and future options. In Australia, you will receive a world-class education.
The University of Queensland, Swinburne University of Technology, University of Adelaide, University of New South Wales, Macquarie University, and others are among them.
Studying in Germany without IELTS
Students applying to study in Germany rarely need to take IELTS or TOEFL if they have a degree in English or their native language.
Also, some universities only require a letter of English language proficiency from the student’s university.
However, at Freie Universität Berlin, for example, various programs have different language requirements.
You must have passed a language test to enroll in a program like English Philology. Other than that, several universities in Germany accept students without an IELTS student visa.
Study in Malaysia without IELTS
Malaysia is the 11th most popular study destination in Asia, second only to Singapore, and one of the few nations to offer international student visas without IELTS.
The University of Malaya, the University of Sans Malaysia, and others are reputed government universities. Many major universities, such as Monash and Swinburne (Australia), Nottingham and Lancaster Campus (UK), and others, have campuses there. You can study at these universities without having to take the IELTS test.
IELTS is not required to attend undergraduate or postgraduate courses or work.
Study in Norway without IELTS
Only students from South Africa and other African nations are exempt from providing their IELTS score at the University of Oslo. Students from Africa and other nations that do not speak English as a first language can also apply.
International students, on the other hand, need to check the prerequisites for their courses at their preferred university before applying. You may get lucky and find certain courses that do not require the TOEFL or IELTS.
Which country is better to study in without IELTS?
Canada, Australia, the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Turkey, Germany, Korea, Italy, and some European countries are the most popular destinations for international students.
Among the list, Canada remains the best for studying without an IELTS student visa.
Friendly immigration policy, affordable tuition fees, high-ranking institutions, student work permits, and the booming economy, among many other factors, have made Canada the best country to study without IELTS.
List of universities without IELTS requirements for 2023
There are many universities where you can study without the usual IELTS requirements. We have summarized it by country to make it easier to understand.
International students perceive Canada as the best destination to study. Some universities do not require the IELTS or TOEFL test:
- The University of Winnipeg is located in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- Regina Memorial University in Regina, Saskatchewan.
- Concordia University in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- Brock University, a private university in Brockville,
- Carleton University is a public university in Ottawa, Canada.
Universities without IELTS requirements in Australia
- The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia (If you have a previous degree that is in English)
- The University of Adelaide, South Australia (Accept the Certificate of Competence only before classes start)
- Macquarie University, University of New South Wales (Accept the Certificate of Competence only before classes start)
- The Swinburne University of Technology is a university in Melbourne, Australia.
- Bond Institution (This university offers many alternative tests instead of the IELTS and TOEFL exams)
- The University of South Australia, Adelaide, South Australia.
- The University of South Queensland in Queensland, Australia.
Universities without IELTS requirements in France
You can study without an IELTS student visa at any of the French universities below. If you are lucky to get scholarships, entrance to universities will be much easier.
- ESGCI, Paris
- ESLSCA Business School
- IESA International
- INSEEC Business School
- ISC Paris
- NEOMA Business School
- Paris Business School
- Skema Business School
- Toulouse Business School
- American Business School, Paris
- EBS Paris
- EPITA Graduate School of Computer Science
- ESAIP School of Engineering
- ESC Rennes Business School, France.
Universities without IELTS requirements in the USA
International students without an IELTS student visa can apply to any of the following universities in the US.
- University of Iowa
- University of Arkansas
- California State University
- University of Dayton
- University of Delaware
- Drexel University
- University of New Orleans
- University of Colorado
- State University of New York
Universities without IELTS requirements in the UK
The UK is home to many of the world’s top-ranked universities. You might be interested to know that contrary to what you may have heard, you can get a student visa without IELTS in the UK. Below are the universities that offer admission without an IELTS student visa.
- Northumbrian University.
- Bolton University
- Northampton University
- Robert Gordon University
- Plymouth University
- Sheffield Hallam University.
- Warwick University.
- The University of Basel.
- Birmingham City University.
- The University of Bristol.
- Audencia Nantes School of Administration.
- Riga Technical University.
- The University of Geneva.
- South Bank University of London.
- The University of Portsmouth.
- Greenwich University.
- The University of Central Lancashire.
- Aston University, Birmingham.
- Swansea University.
Universities without IELTS requirements in Norway
International students can study at any Norwegian university without an IELTS student visa. You only need to meet a few threshold English requirements, as detailed below.
- If they taught previous education at an English Medium institution, there is no need to provide language proficiency such as TOEFL or IELTS.
- Applicants who have completed their previous education at an English Language Educational Institution are not required to take the IELTS test.
- Students must present an official certificate printed on stamped letterhead paper as proof that their previous education was conducted in English.
- University of Tromsø (ITU)
- University of Stavanger (UI)
- The Svalbard University Center.
- University of Oslo (UIO)
- University of Agder (UIA)
- Stord/Haugesund University College
- Østfold University College
- Oslo and Akershus University School of Applied Sciences
- Oslo School of Architecture and Design
- Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
- Norwegian School of Veterinary Sciences
- Molde University College – Specialized University in Logistics
- Norwegian School of Sport Science
- MF Norwegian School of Theology
- University of Lillehammer
- Hedmark University of Applied Sciences
What is the alternative to IELTS?
Pathway programs are an alternative to English language proficiency tests. This orientation program is a preparation course that helps foreign students develop the skills, information, and certifications necessary to enroll in a bachelor’s or master’s degree program. Programs typically last one academic year and do not result in a diploma.
International students who wish to study abroad can enroll in a pathway program that allows them to take English as a Second Language (ESL) classes while earning credits toward their degree.
Many universities in countries such as Germany, the United States, and Australia offer pathway programs for students who wish to follow a course at the university of their choice.
IELTS, the world’s most popular English language proficiency test, is not a challenge in itself. Test your listening, reading, writing and speaking skills in less than 3 hours.
In IELTS, there is no pass or fail score. They report their test results in half-band increments from 1.0 to 9.0, with 1.0 being the lowest and 9.0 being the highest.
You will be given an overall band score and individual band scores for each of the four test sections: listening, reading, writing, and speaking.
There are several universities in the United States that do not require IELTS or TOEFL. While some of them need a BA in English, interviews in English, or provide English courses to students from non-English speaking countries, others do not.
The IELTS test requires a minimum age of 16 to take it. The IELTS test is open to anyone over the age of 16, regardless of nationality or background.
If the school requires IELTS scores for admission, an exception may be granted.
We have highlighted some nations where you can get a student visa without having to take the IELTS test.
However, it is crucial to note that some universities and regions in these nations require students to have an IELT score.
So before applying for an international student visa, double-check the admission requirements and eligibility criteria.
2 thoughts on “How to Study Without IELTS Student Visa in 2023”
This is very good idea to upgrade our education. So I completed my 12 grade (commerce) since 2008. I have been working in Bank of Bhutan Limited from 2009 till date and I am looking a scholarship in bachelor’s degree in business field.
I want to apply to for this scholarship