Medical schools in the United States place a greater emphasis on practical learning rather than theoretical learning in their MBBS courses. As a result, students who pursue the MD program in the US can expect to gain valuable experience, knowledge, and skills during their studies.
Choosing to study MBBS in the USA can be a highly beneficial decision for anyone aspiring to become a successful medical professional, regardless of where they wish to practice medicine in the world.
Table of Contents.
- MBBS in the USA
- educational prerequisites
- Why should students study medicine in the United States?
- Professional opportunities
- Medical Doctor (MD)
- Best Universities in the United States that Offer MD Courses
- Harvard University M.D. Program
- Washington University-MD Program
- Yale University MD Program
- Yale University International Financial Aid for International Students
- Duke University School of Medicine-MD Program
- Finding help for international students
- John Hopkins University MD Program
- Albert Einstein Yeshiva University School of Medicine MD Program
- The University of Minnesota, MD Program
- Emory University School of Medicine, MD Program
- Geisel School of Medicine, Dartmouth College, MD-PhD Program
- All the benefits of studying MBBS in the United States
- Duration of the MBBS course in the USA
- About the MCAT exam
- Medical education in the United States. Accredited
- Curriculum to Study MBBS in the USA:
- Eligibility Criteria for MBBS Admission in the United States
- MBBS in the United States after 12th
MBBS in America
The medical education system in the United States is quite different from those in other parts of the world, such as European countries like Russia, Ukraine, and Georgia, or Asian countries like China and the Philippines. However, after completing their medical degree in the US, students are considered qualified doctors.
In the US, the medical degree is referred to as an MD (Doctor of Medicine) rather than an MBBS. The language of instruction for medical courses is English. Medical degrees obtained in the US are recognized and approved by various global organizations, including the MCI, WHO, ECFMG, and MCC.
Requirements to become a licensed physician in the US vary depending on the chosen specialty. Typically, students must complete four years of undergraduate study, followed by four years of medical school. After that, they must undergo an additional three to seven years of residency training before becoming licensed physicians. MBBS in the US is considered a high standard of clinical education.
Academic Requirement to Study MBBS in the United States
In order to become a physician in the United States, you need to complete two degrees and a clinical residency. These programs cover general medicine courses, and during your residency period, you’ll choose an area of specialization to focus on.
Why should students study medicine in the United States?
The United States is known for having a high standard of education, which is why many students aspire to study there. If you obtain a medical degree from a US university or college, it will be recognized internationally, making it possible to find work as a doctor in the US or in any European country.
Getting admission into a US MD program is highly competitive, but being admitted can greatly enhance your career as an international student.
If you earn a doctoral degree in the US, it can open up many opportunities for you. You can choose to work as a doctor in the US or anywhere else in the world. Additionally, you have the option to further specialize in a medical field or work in hospitals, scientific institutes, or the health sector.
What is it like to study MBBS in the USA?
In medical school, the four years of training are divided into two parts. The first two years focus on book study and laboratory training, which helps students learn how to identify and treat diseases.
In the second year of medical school, students take a portion of the United States Medical Licensing Examination administered by the National Board of Medical Examiners.
During the final two years of medical school, students gain clinical experience by working with physicians, assisting them, and receiving training. The second licensing test is usually taken during the fourth year of medical school.
Residential training also starts during this time. However, some institutions may have a different structure. For example, some offer a six-year training and education program that compresses academic and medical education.
You can get medical scholarships that will help you with your MBBS study abroad.
Best Universities in the United States that Offer MBBS Courses
Many of these universities are licensed and ranked highly on the US News 2014 Best Medical Schools list. Additionally, some of these schools provide scholarships and MD programs specifically for international students.
Harvard University M.D. Program
Harvard University is ranked as the number one medical school in the US. During the four years of study, students learn about biology, social behavior, and clinical science. The first two years of the program at Harvard University focused on biological sciences. Students also receive education at medical facilities affiliated with the university, such as TMEC.
Financial aid is available based on financial need. The funds are awarded to deserving students who are unable to accumulate the necessary funds on their own. To learn more about the eligibility of international students for financial aid, visit the school’s website.
Washington University-MD Program
The University of Washington’s MD program is ranked 6th in the US. Over the past 38 years, the program has undergone several changes. The university covers 5 Northwestern states and is recognized by the WWAMI program. The University of Washington focuses on clinical skills, patient-centered care, and professionalism, which leads to a high ranking in the US News and World Report.
Financial aid is available for all applicants, and the deadline applies regardless of admission status. Parental information is not necessary for eligibility, but it can determine primary care loans, disadvantaged student loans, and scholarships for disadvantaged students. The FAFSA can be completed online, and international students should contact the university to determine if any scholarships or funds are available.
Yale University MD Program
Yale University followed the traditional pattern of the four-year program to confer the Doctor of Medicine program. But, an optional 5-year application (5th season free) is given to those students who want it.
Yale University International Financial Aid for International Students
The scholarship program at Yale University is based on financial needs, and both US citizens and international students are evaluated in the same way, except for differences in loan sources. The financial aid award is determined based on the level of need. For more information, please visit the university’s website.
Duke University School of Medicine-MD Program
Ranked as the 8th best medical school in the United States, Duke University’s MD program is designed to prepare students for a wide range of medical careers, equipping them to become leaders in the field and make contributions to biomedical research, national and global health.
During the first year, students learn the basics of science, followed by clinical practice in the second year. The third year focuses on academic research, while the fourth year offers elective rotations for further specialization.
Finding help for international students seeking to study in America
This grant is based on financial need and is available to both new and returning students. If you are a returning student, you must reapply every year, although the application process may be simplified for you. This program has limited funding and the number of applicants, including new students, is taken into account when determining the recipients of the grant.
The University of Arizona MD Program
Ranked at number 68, the Tucson College of Medicine offers a comprehensive MD program aimed at preparing skilled and committed physicians to enhance patient care. The program also emphasizes the development of advanced medical knowledge. Graduates from the Tucson Medical School are well-versed in contemporary medicine, disease diagnosis, treatment, and prevention.
Financial aid is available through various scholarships, grants, and loans offered by the University of Arizona. The majority of the scholarships are for federal student aid and can be applied for through the FAFSA website.
John Hopkins University MD Program
JHU ranked #3 in America’s Medical Schools, offers MD courses for international students who meet certain requirements, such as having one year of work experience at a US university and passing the TOEFL test. JHU is committed to training future medical leaders.
JHU MD offers a variety of scholarships to encourage US residents to enroll in the program. Some scholarships are offered by external organizations such as the American Medical Association, the Association of American Medical Colleges, and Maryland Graduate and Professional Scholarships, among others. International students are also eligible for scholarships through the JHM International Scholarship program, which is awarded based on need and merit. However, the number of scholarships for international students is limited. In addition to scholarships, financial assistance, such as institutional loans, may be available. Check the website for more information.
Albert Einstein Yeshiva University School of Medicine MD Program
Yeshiva University’s Einstein College of Medicine welcomes American and international students to apply for its prestigious MD Program. The college provides innovative education to help students excel in the fields of medicine and science.
The medical school’s comprehensive curriculum and practical clinical training offer a strong foundation for building a successful career in medical science. However, international students from outside the US and Canada need to complete at least one year in formal science programs recognized by an accredited US university or college. Additionally, all students, both domestic and international, must take the MCAT exam before November of the year prior to their enrollment.
Scholarships – International students are not eligible for US federal loans and scholarships. However, they can benefit from Einstein scholarships and college loan funds. These scholarships are limited and are awarded based on students’ academic performance. For more details, please check the college’s website.
The University of Minnesota, MD Program
Ranked at #34, the University of Minnesota provides its MD program across two campuses: Twin Cities and Duluth. The program has a revised curriculum that integrates clinical learning and basic science throughout the four years.
International students can apply for the program, but only a very limited number of seats are available, and there is high competition for them. The University admits only two foreign students out of 300, and they are required to finance their education themselves.
For domestic students, the University of Minnesota offers scholarships such as the Non-Resident Tuition Scholarship for those who live outside of Minnesota. Additionally, there are scholarships offered by the University of Minnesota Foundation, College Scholarships, and College of Medicine for boarding students.
Emory University School of Medicine, MD Program
Emory University’s MD program is open to both national and international students who wish to become skilled and compassionate physicians. International students must pass the TOEFL and MCAT exams to be considered for admission, and only around 10 to 15 are accepted each year.
Unfortunately, the Emory School of Medicine does not offer any financial aid to international students. However, there are several scholarship options available to domestic students, including the Alumni School of Medicine Scholarship and Claudia Adikson Medicine Scholarship, as well as scholarships based on need, community service, merit, and eligibility.
Geisel School of Medicine, Dartmouth College, MD-PhD Program
Geisel Medical School has been ranked 18th and offers an MD-PhD dual degree course for internal and international students. Regardless of students’ citizenship status, the Medical School believes in training the future leaders of healthcare.
With the help of Dartmouth College’s MD-PhD program, students get the full advantage of both courses to understand the overall healthcare system.
Scholarships – Geisel School of Medicine, Dartmouth College, is quite generous in providing equal financial aid to internal and international students.
In addition to meeting standard admission requirements, international students must have the appropriate visas and must have completed 3 years of full-time study at a US or Canadian college or university. Visit the website for more details.
All the benefits of studying MBBS in the United States
- The quality of medical education in the USA is excellent, making it a great choice for those who want to become expert doctors.
- MBBS universities in the USA have a remarkable reputation worldwide, and doctors who have trained in the USA are highly respected and in great demand globally.
- Medical education in the USA is taught entirely in English. Students who secure admission to the MBBS program in the USA are not required to pay any additional capitation fees other than the course fee.
- Students who want to practice medicine in India after studying MBBS in the USA are not required to take the MCI Screening Test.
- Many of the best medical universities in the USA offer scholarships for international students based on merit.
- Students studying medicine in the USA can also look for part-time jobs to support themselves.
- Some of the best medical colleges in the USA offer a stipend to their students.
Duration of the MBBS course in the USA
The length of the MBBS course in the USA differs from the standard length of the course in other countries.
- In the United States, MBBS is known as an MD (Medical Doctor).
- After completing a 4-year bachelor’s degree, the student earns a medical degree.
- Medical universities in the US have a residency program where students can choose their respective areas of specialization after completing the MD, which is 3-4 years. A residency program is nothing more than a PG-level program. The duration of the residency program depends on the specialization chosen by the student. Because different specializations take different lengths of time to complete. A general surgeon requires 5 years, while pediatrics requires 3 years, on the other hand, a neurosurgeon needs 7 years.
- During the course years, students are required to take USMLE exams 1, 2, and 3 in the appropriate steps. After the USMLE Exam 3, the student’s MBBS degree is completed. And therefore the total course length of an MBBS course in the US is between 7-9 years.
About the MCAT Exam
- USMLE (United States Medical Licensing Exam) defines the medical education system in the United States.
- MCAT (Medical College Admission Test) is the basic entrance exam to gain admission to the best medical schools in the US.
- AAMC (Association of American Medical Colleges) conducts and oversees the exam and also publishes the results of the exam.
- However, qualifying for MCAT is very difficult like any other medical entrance exam. Local students who wish to study medical courses in the United States participate in this exam. Getting good scores on the MCAT exam and gaining admission to one of the best medical schools in the USA is the dream of every American student.
- Only after completing the pre-medical program, Indian students and students from other countries can take this MCAT exam.
- Although the MCAT exam helps secure admission to the best medical universities in the United States, it is the most difficult and even very expensive way to earn an MBBS degree.
Must Read: What is the MCAT & When to take MCAT?
Curriculum to study MBBS in the USA:
Medical colleges in the United States follow a curriculum approved by the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE). It is advisable for students to choose a USMLE-recognized medical university since it is considered better than other medical colleges.
The USMLE curriculum comprises three steps.
- The first step, USMLE Step 1, covers basic science courses that include the respiratory, nervous, gastrointestinal, musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, renal/urinary, endocrine, and reproductive systems, along with other topics.
- The second step, USMLE Step 2, includes both clinical knowledge (CK) and clinical skills (CS). Students can gain practical experience during their clinical rotations. The topics covered under this step are Gynecological Disorders, Nutritional Disorders, Abdominal Disorders, Digestive Disorders, Congenital Abnormalities, and Mental Disorders, among others.
- The third and final step of the USMLE study program is USMLE Step 3. During this stage, students must complete a residency program in their chosen specialty. The USMLE curriculum includes clinical rotations, which provide students with opportunities to interact with patients and gain practical experience.
Eligibility Criteria for MBBS Admission in the United States
Students who wish to gain admission to one of the best medical universities in the USA must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- He/she should have obtained the minimum 50% marks in the 12th standard of any recognized Indian central or state board with biology, physics, and chemistry as compulsory subjects.
- If the percentage of a particular student is less than 50% Then they have to take the entrance test.
- If the student does not have Biology, Physics, and Chemistry in their 12th standard, then they have to go through a pre-medical year.
- Good IELTS or TOEFL scores are required as proof of English proficiency.
Becoming a doctor is an admirable profession that allows you to make a positive impact on people’s lives. If you’ve always dreamt of pursuing medicine in the United States, there are many options to choose from.
While not all universities or medical schools offer international programs, you can still explore some of the institutions mentioned in this article to take advantage of international scholarship opportunities and continue your medical education in the US. We hope this article has been helpful to you and encourage you to share it with your friends who may also be interested in pursuing a career in medicine.