When it comes to studying abroad and in a different country like Senegal, it can be a taxing moment when it comes down to researching what available scholarships there are to pursue. From government grants, to university entrance scholarships that are handed out upon sending in the submission admissions application.
We will break down what scholarships and fellowships are available in each country, along with the title of those scholarships. This way it can be much easier during a student’s research when they decide to look up the full details of that scholarship to see if they are an eligible match.
Along with scholarships, we will place any internships or work-study programs that may be readily available for international students.
Below is a list of scholarships available to both domestic citizens of Senegal and international students interested in studying in the country.
Scholarships in Senegal
- African Students to study in Senegal 2022-2023
- The David L. Boren Scholarships (up to $20,000 for undergraduates) and Fellowships (up to $30,000 for graduate students)
- Ritchie-Jennings Memorial Scholarship Program
- Royal Society International Scholarships for Foreign Students to Study in the United Kingdom
- ETH Zurich Excellence Masters Scholarships
- Emile Boutmy Scholarships for Non-EU Students at Sciences
- Senegal (Chevening Scholarship)
- African Union 2022 AU20 “Our Africa, Our Future” Artists Fellowships
- International Master Programs and Scholarships in Flanders, Belgium
- Full Scholarships from Indian Council for Cultural Relationships
- Wells Mountain Foundation Scholarships
- MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at Michigan State University
- Trent University – Full Undergraduate Scholarships
- Loughborough University Graduate School Development Trust Africa Full Fee Scholarships
- Ford Foundation International Fellowships Program
- Australia Awards – Masters Level and Fellowships
- CUD Scholarship Program – Belgium
- International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS) at University of Western Australia
Student Visa in Senegal
Yes, international students will need to acquire a student visa before arriving in Senegal. As standard procedure it is easier on the student to acquire a student visa before arriving so there is no problems with crossing the border into the country. At times, it can be difficult for student upon arrival if they do not have all of their paperwork stating which university they are attending in Senegal, or what they intend to study. Along with not having a student visa to all the student to stay the full academic term.
Learn the Local Language
This is one of the bigger points for any country. Each country releases a huge amount of ‘language scholarships’ that is dedicated to the students who are currently learning the local language and who intend to pursue a higher education in the cultural history of Senegal.
Each country will have a language proficiency exam to place ethe student in classes where they are familiar with the language. This is a regular occurrence to ensure that the student does not immediately fall behind in their coursework because simply they do not understand the language.
Most universities will place international students into free language programs so the students can begin basic level exercises to help them to learn the local or official language of the country.