The YLAI – Young Leaders of the Americas Initiative – Fellowship Program scholarships aim to empower entrepreneurs to strengthen their ability to launch and promote their business ideas and contribute effectively to social and economic development in their communities. Since the program’s launch in 2015, more than 1,000 YLAI fellows from Latin America, the Caribbean, and Canada have expanded their leadership and business experience by working with companies and organizations in the United States.
Through the YLAI business leadership curriculum and individualized professional practices, YLAI fellows have accelerated the success of their business and social endeavors and developed specific action plans that they implement upon return to their home countries.
YLAI Fellows create lasting networks, ties, and relationships to attract investment and support for their business endeavors.
PROGRAM COMPONENTS INCLUDE
1. Four-Week Internships in US Cities – YLAI Fellows gain valuable professional development skills and experience in US business organizations from the Fellow’s business sector. Fellows will collaborate with their practice host on their Business Leadership Action Plan (E-LAP) that the fellows will implement upon return to their home countries.
2. YLAI Business Leadership Curriculum: The YLAI scholarship program includes online and in-person courses, developed by IREX and Arizona State University (ASU), combining technical training in entrepreneurship and leadership development. With the E-LAP, fellows will develop and achieve their business leadership goals.
3. YLAI Closing Forum in the United States: YLAI Fellows participate in a YLAI Closing Forum in Washington, DC, as well as networking events with business and social business leaders and representatives of the US government.
4. Sustained Post-Scholarship Engagement: After successful completion of the scholarship, YLAI Scholars continue their collaboration with US partners and have access to ongoing opportunities for professional development, mentoring, networking, and alumni activities. YLAI Fellows will have the opportunity to host the US in their country through the Exchange Program, sharing their experience on the business climate in their country.
IMPORTANT: Please note that if safe travel is not possible at the time of the YLAI scholarship, this program will take place virtually.
ABOUT THE YLAI COMMUNITY
The Young Leaders of the Americas Initiative (YLAI) network is a community of inspiring young entrepreneurs and drivers of change from Latin America, the Caribbean, and Canada who are committed to fostering economic growth, strengthening civil society, and creating change in their communities.
Who awards the scholarship?
What benefits do the YLAI – Young Leaders of the Americas Initiative – Fellowship Program offer?
. Coverage for all program costs.
2. J-1 visa support. Visa assistance will not be offered to dependents as this is an unaccompanied program.
3. Roundtrip travel from the participant’s hometown to the United States and domestic travel to the United States, as required by the program.
4. YLAI Business Leadership Curriculum Coursework and Tutoring.
5. Closing forum in Washington, DC
6. Four-week internship with the host organization.
7. A limited sickness and accident benefit plan.
8. Accommodation and food stipend during the program.
NOTE: There is no fee to apply to become a YLAI Scholar.
What are the key dates?
The grant will close on December 1, 2021, at 11:00 am EST.