The GREAT Scholarships program, initiated by the British Council and U.K. universities, offers scholarships to students from specific countries for postgraduate studies in the U.K. The number of scholarships and eligibility criteria vary depending on the country and institution.
The deadline date for this scholarship is May 31, 2024.
What are the Eligibility Requirements for the GREAT Scholarships:
The eligibility requirements for the GREAT Scholarships can vary depending on the country and the participating U.K. institution. However, here are some general eligibility criteria that often apply:
- Nationality: Typically, GREAT Scholarships are available for students from specific countries. Each scholarship will specify the eligible countries, so you need to check the specific scholarship you are interested in to see if your country is listed.
- Academic Merit: Most GREAT Scholarships are awarded based on academic excellence. You should have a strong academic record and meet the minimum academic requirements set by the participating U.K. institution.
- Subject of Study: The GREAT Scholarships cover a wide range of subjects, but each scholarship may be limited to specific fields of study. Make sure to check if the scholarship you are interested in aligns with your intended field of study.
- Level of Study: Scholarships may be available for undergraduate or postgraduate programs, so you need to determine if you meet the requirements for the level of study you are interested in.
- Admission to a U.K. Institution: To be eligible for a GREAT Scholarship, you will usually need to have an offer of admission or be in the process of applying to a participating U.K. institution. It’s important to review the specific requirements of the scholarship and the admission process of the institution.
- English Language Proficiency: Since the medium of instruction in the U.K. is English, you may be required to demonstrate your English language proficiency by providing the results of an English language test, such as IELTS or TOEFL.
What is the total award for the GREAT Scholarships:
The total award for GREAT Scholarships can vary depending on the specific scholarship and the participating U.K. institution. The scholarship amount typically covers a portion of the tuition fees or may also include additional allowances to support living expenses. The exact value of the scholarship varies from institution to institution and can range from a few thousand pounds to a significant portion of the total cost of study.
How do you apply for the GREAT Scholarships:
The application process for the GREAT Scholarships can vary depending on the participating UK institution. However, here are some general steps to guide you through the application process:
- Research: Start by researching the GREAT Scholarships available and identify the specific scholarship(s) that align with your country of residence and intended field of study. Visit the official website of the GREAT Scholarships or the participating UK institution for detailed information on the application process, eligibility criteria, and deadlines.
- Check Eligibility: Review the eligibility criteria for the scholarship(s) you are interested in. Ensure that you meet the nationality, academic, and other requirements specified for the scholarship.
- Choose a Course and Institution: Select a course of study and identify the UK institution(s) that participate in the GREAT Scholarships program and offer your chosen course. Research the admission requirements and make sure to meet the academic criteria set by the institution.
- Prepare Required Documents: Gather all the necessary documents for the application, which may include academic transcripts, proof of English language proficiency, letters of recommendation, personal statement, and any other documents specified by the scholarship or the institution.
- Apply for Admission: Start the application process for admission to the chosen UK institution. Follow the institution’s application guidelines and submit all the required documents and forms as per their instructions. Pay attention to any specific instructions or deadlines related to the GREAT Scholarship application.
- Apply for the GREAT Scholarship: Once you have submitted your application for admission to the UK institution, check if there is a separate application process for the GREAT Scholarship. Some institutions may require you to submit an additional scholarship application form, while others may automatically consider you for the scholarship based on your admission application.
- Submit Application and Supporting Documents: Complete and submit the GREAT Scholarship application form, ensuring that you provide all the required information accurately. Attach any supporting documents as specified by the scholarship, such as academic transcripts, personal statements, or letters of recommendation.
- Application Review and Selection: The UK institution and the scholarship panel will review the applications received. Shortlisted candidates may be invited for interviews or additional assessments, depending on the scholarship requirements.
- Notification of Results: The institution or scholarship provider will inform you of the outcome of your application. If you are awarded the GREAT Scholarship, you will receive details about the scholarship amount, terms, and any additional steps required to accept the award.
Step by Step Student Visa Process for the United Kingdom
The student visa process for the United Kingdom typically involves several steps. Here is a general step-by-step guide:
- Choose a Course and Institution: Select a course of study and a U.K. institution that is recognized and approved for accepting international students. Ensure that the course meets your academic goals and that you meet the entry requirements set by the institution.
- Check Visa Requirements: Review the visa requirements for studying in the U.K. The main visa category for students is the Tier 4 (General) Student Visa. Visit the official U.K. government website or the website of the U.K. Visas and Immigration (UKVI) to obtain detailed information on the specific requirements for your country of residence.
- Secure an Offer of Admission: Apply for admission to the chosen U.K. institution and receive an unconditional offer letter or a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from the institution. The CAS is a crucial document required for the visa application.
- Financial Requirements: Demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees, living expenses, and any healthcare costs while studying in the U.K. The specific amount required may vary depending on the location of the institution and the duration of your course. Ensure that you have the necessary financial documentation, such as bank statements, to support your visa application.
- English Language Proficiency: Meet the English language proficiency requirements set by the U.K. institution. This typically involves providing the results of an approved English language test, such as IELTS or TOEFL. Ensure that you have the necessary language test scores for your visa application.
- Complete the Visa Application: Fill out the online visa application form on the official U.K. government website. Provide accurate and complete information, including your personal details, course details, financial information, and supporting documentation.
- Pay the Application Fee: Pay the required visa application fee. The fee amount may vary depending on your country of residence and the length of your course. Check the official U.K. government website for the current fee information.
- Biometrics Appointment: Schedule a biometrics appointment at a Visa Application Centre (VAC) in your country. During the appointment, you will have your fingerprints and photograph taken.
- Attend an Interview (if required): Depending on your circumstances, you may be required to attend an interview at the VAC or at the U.K. embassy/consulate in your country. Prepare for the interview by reviewing your application, supporting documents, and being ready to answer questions about your study plans in the U.K.
- Visa Decision: After your visa application is processed, you will be notified of the decision. If approved, you will receive a visa vignette in your passport, which will allow you to travel to the U.K.
- Travel to the United Kingdom: Make travel arrangements to the U.K., ensuring that you arrive within the validity period of your visa vignette. Upon arrival, you will need to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), which is your official visa documentation, from a designated collection point in the U.K.
The Annual and Renewable Options For This Scholarship
This is an annual scholarship opportunity.
Other available scholarships to look at are $3,500 James Learmonth Scholarship for Master’s in Education for Malawi Students by the Canon Collins Trust, Malawi 2024 or £10,000 University of Manchester 2023 Global Development Institute Master’s Bursary.
All applicants should consult the contact webpage that is in the contact section of this page if a question has not been answered. Beforehand check the university’s FAQs page to see if anything can be answered right away.
All students should check with the university website about any delays or changes to the open submission window or deadline time frame. This is the best way to see if anything needs to be reviewed or changed before submitting their application. Anyone can sign up to receive a university website newsletter to stay updated on the latest information.
Any student unsure about the rules and guidelines meant to be followed by the recipient should consult the website link provided. Anyone looking for more information that is not found on the website should contact the email address.
We also suggest that all applicants read through the information guideline page that is available through the original scholarship link. This way, the individual can navigate the website correctly and identify the real scholarship online application. So far there has been no mention of any delays for this opportunity or any cancellations.