Applications have now been submitted to the University of Trento for Cycle 33 of 18 PhD Scholarships in Biomolecular Sciences for the 2022-2023 academic year. Italian and foreign applicants are eligible to apply for this scholarship program. In the application, candidates must ensure that the stated eligibility criteria are met.
Application Deadline: 23rd August 2023
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible countries: Italian and international
To be taken in (country): Italy
About the award: The University of Trento is an Italian university located in Trento and near Rovereto. It has achieved considerable results in didactics, research, and international relations according to CENSIS and the Italian Ministry of Education.
The program is conducted entirely in English. An international certificate attesting to the candidate’s knowledge of English at level C1 or higher in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) is an essential requirement for admission. Foreign students are encouraged to acquire practical knowledge of the Italian language. Applicants can receive TOEFL language test results directly from the school. Please note that the TOEFL control code for the School of International Studies is 6286.
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Applications for doctoral positions are accepted from both Italians and foreigners, regardless of gender and age, provided they are eligible by possessing:
a) an Italian “Laurea Magistrale”, according to Ministerial Decree no. 270 of 10.22.2004 and subsequent amendments, or
b) an equivalent Italian university degree (previous regulations in force, “Laurea specialistica”, AFAM), or
c) an equivalent foreign degree (master’s degree) obtained in an officially recognized academic institution, valid for admission to doctoral studies in the issuing country and similar (duration and level) to the Italian degree, recognized as equivalent to 1 by the Admissions Committee for the sole purpose of access to the Doctoral Program. Any degree in a science and technology area will receive preferential status.
- Applications are also accepted by students hoping to obtain the required degree before October 31, 2023. Admission to the Doctoral Program for successful applicants who have not yet graduated will be “conditional” and must be submitted by the applicant to the Doctoral Office S&T (via email to phd.officest-at-unitn.it) before November 6, 2023, under penalty of exclusion, a certificate or self-declaration of the title awarded.
- Applicants with a foreign degree who do not have a legally recognized degree equivalent to an Italian degree (Laurea Magistrale/Specialica/vecchio ordinamento) will be considered pending when requesting the equivalence in their application. In this case, the applicant is requested to attach the necessary supporting documents. The Admissions Committee may require applicants to provide additional documentation to assess their eligibility. The identification list of applicants whose foreign academic qualifications have been deemed ineligible for admission to selection will be available on the admission procedure web page.
The number of awards: 18. The scholarships are funded by:
- 6 scholarships funded by the University of Trento, on research topics to be carried out in the laboratories of CIBIO – Center for Integrative Biology;
- 12 additional scholarships on reserved topics that require specific competence evaluated during the oral exam and financed.
Program Duration: The academic year begins November 1, 2023.
University Admission Requirement
Entry Requirements: Applicants must have a foreign equivalent degree (Master’s degree) obtained from an officially recognized academic institution.
English language requirements: English language certification that establishes a minimum level of B1 according to CEFR9. The following exceptions are accepted: – If the candidate is a native English speaker or attended a Bachelor’s or Master’s level course taught entirely in English, a self-declaration is sufficient.
– If the candidate studied or carried out research abroad for a minimum of 6-months in a country where knowledge of English is required, a certification from the institution where the candidate carried out the activity is sufficient, indicating the level of English obtained . citizens can issue a self-declaration, in accordance with article 46 of Presidential Decree no. 445 of 12.28.2000 and its subsequent amendments, only for activities that have been carried out in a public institution of the member countries of the European Union);
– If the candidate passed one or more English exams at B1 level during the bachelor’s or master’s degree, a certificate from the University indicating the level of English obtained is sufficient (EU citizens can submit a self-declaration, according to Article 46 of Presidential Decree No. 445 of 12.28.2000 and subsequent amendments, only for activities that have been carried out in a public institution of the member countries of the European Union).
How to apply: The application mode is online. The University will accept any additional document to the submitted application if it is sent by email to ateneo-at-unitn.it (Subject: “Application identification number: Surname and first name of the candidate – Doctorate in Biomolecular Sciences – Cycle 33 ° – Application Supplement”) for August 23rd, 2023 at 04:00 pm Italian time. Additional documents submitted by other means will be disregarded.
Provider Award: University of Trento