Are you a brilliant and ambitious student who wants to pursue a graduate degree at one of the world-class universities in the UK? Do you envision advancing the knowledge, understanding, and friendship between the UK and the US? If yes, you might be eligible for the Marshall Scholarship in the UK.
This prestigious and competitive scholarship honors the memory and ideals of the Marshall Plan, a US initiative to help rebuild Europe after World War II. It is a full scholarship that covers tuition fees, living expenses, travel costs, and other benefits for up to three years of study in any field and at any university in the UK.
The scholarship is funded by the British government and administered by the Marshall Aid Commemoration Commission (MACC) in the UK, an independent body operating under the authority of the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO). The MACC aims to promote the intellectual and cultural exchange between the UK and the US and foster the leadership and potential of future leaders and influencers.
The scholarship is open to students who are citizens of the US and who have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited US college or university. The scholarship is not available to students already studying or living in the UK or with dual citizenship of the UK and the US.
The scholarship is hosted by the UK, a sovereign state of four countries: England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. The UK is one of the world’s most diverse and multicultural countries, with a rich history, culture, and economy. The UK is also known for its high-quality education, research, and innovation, as well as its global leadership and influence.
The scholarship is worth up to 40,000 pounds per year, which covers the following expenses:
- Tuition fees: The scholarship covers the full tuition fees for the chosen graduate program, as agreed by the MACC and the UK university.
- Living expenses: The scholarship provides a monthly stipend of 1,330 pounds for students studying in London and 1,100 pounds for students studying outside London for accommodation, food, and other personal expenses.
- Travel costs: The scholarship covers the economy class return airfare from the US to the UK, as arranged by the MACC.
- Other benefits: The scholarship covers the visa and immigration health surcharge fees, as well as the cost of one standard tuberculosis test if required. The scholarship also provides a one-off arrival allowance of 500 pounds, a book grant of 400 pounds, a thesis grant of 400 pounds, and a study travel grant of 300 pounds. The scholarship also offers access to mentoring, networking, and alumni events.
Level and Field of Study
The scholarship is available for graduate-level study in any field and at any university in the UK. The scholarship can support one-year or two-year master’s programs or three-year doctoral programs, depending on the academic and career goals of the applicant. The scholarship can also support a combination of two master’s programs or a master’s program followed by a doctoral program, subject to the approval of the MACC.
How to Apply
To apply for the scholarship, the applicants must first identify and apply for admission to one or more graduate programs at one or more UK universities by the respective deadline. The applicants must also submit the following documents:
- A curriculum vitae (CV) that highlights the academic and professional achievements, skills, and interests of the applicant.
- A personal statement that explains the reasons for applying to the UK and the scholarship, as well as the academic and career goals and aspirations of the applicant.
- A transcript of records that shows the grades and courses completed in the bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- A diploma or certificate that proves the completion of the bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- A proof of US citizenship, such as a passport or birth certificate.
- Four letters of recommendation from professors, supervisors, or mentors who can attest to the academic and personal qualities of the applicant.
After applying for admission, the applicants must complete and submit an online scholarship application form by October 1, 2024. The scholarship application form consists of questions about the academic performance, leadership potential, and social impact of the applicant.
The applicants will be evaluated based on their admission application, scholarship application, and documents. The scholarship recipients will be notified by email by December 15, 2024.
Countries that can Apply
The scholarship is open to students who are citizens of the US and who have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited US college or university. The scholarship is not available to students who are citizens of the UK or other countries.
To be eligible for the scholarship, the applicants must meet the following criteria:
- They must be citizens of the US and hold a valid US passport.
- They must have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited US college or university, with a minimum grade point average of 3.7 out of 4.0 or equivalent.
- They must have graduated from their bachelor’s degree or equivalent after April 2019, or be expected to graduate by September 2025.
- They must have a strong academic record and potential, as well as a demonstrated leadership ability and commitment to public service.
- They must have applied for admission to one or more graduate programs at one or more UK universities by the respective deadline.
- They must have completed and submitted the online scholarship application form by October 1, 2024.
The deadline for applying for the scholarship is October 1, 2024. The applicants must submit their online scholarship application form by this date. The applicants must also ensure that their admission application and supporting documents are submitted by the deadlines. The scholarship recipients will be announced by December 15, 2024.