Scholarships for HBCU Students

Written by Michael Nz. on March 9, 2023

3 min read

Unsplash - A wide view of an urban city with skyscraper

Be the first to know about a new Scholarship!

Don't miss any Scholarship deadline, sign up for our FREE Scholarships email notifications.


Scholarship details

  • Area of study

  • Country of the Scholarship

    United States
  • Scholarship Valid Until (Year)

  • Type of scholarship

    Bachelor's scholarship
  • Scholarship amount given

    $3000 - $5000
  • Type of scholarship administrator

    Private sponsor
  • Mode of scholarship (Online/Offline)

  • Applier's country

  • Expenses covered

  • Scholarship Contact Details

    [email protected]

The article highlights the importance of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) in the United States and provides information on various scholarships and grants available to students attending these institutions.

It covers scholarships offered by private organizations, government grants, and institutional scholarships provided by individual HBCUs.

The article emphasizes the significance of financial aid in ensuring access to higher education and provides helpful tips for students on how to search and apply for scholarships and grants. Overall, the article serves as a useful resource for students looking to fund their education at HBCUs.

About the Grant

The Federal Supplementary Educational Opportunity Grant is a financial aid program created for undergraduate students with unique financial needs. The grant is administered and managed by the financial aid office at any of the participating schools. It is important that you check with your school financial aid office to confirm if your school offers the FSEOG, as not all schools are eligible to participate.  

How do I apply?

To apply for the Federal Supplementary Educational Opportunity, candidates must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. This is so their respective colleges can ascertain how much financial aid they need. It is the responsibility of the financial aid office to award FSEOGs to students that have the most financial need. Except under certain circumstances, the FSEOG does not have to be repaid. 

To find out if you might need to repay part or your entire federal grant, click here

How much money will I get?

Applicants will receive between $100 and $4,000 a year depending on a number of criteria such as; the availability of funds at their school, the number of other aids they receive, when they applied, and most importantly, how much financial need they have. 

Each year, the U.S. Department of Education’s office of Federal Student Assistance distributes a specific amount of FSEOG funding to each participating institution. There are no more FSEOG awards available for that year once the entire sum of the school’s FSEOG cash has been given to students. In contrast to the federal Pell Grant Program, which awards money to every eligible student, this system operates differently.

Hence, be sure to submit an application for federal student aid as soon as you can. The dates that each school chooses for campus-based funds vary. The deadline for a school can be found on the school website or by asking someone in the financial assistance office.

How will I be paid?

If you qualify, your school may pay you directly, credit your student account, or use a combination of these options. Funds must be disbursed (paid out) by your school at least once each term (semester, trimester, or quarter). Schools without semesters, trimesters, or quarters are required to release money at least twice per academic year.

What should I do to maintain the grant?

You must remain enrolled as an undergraduate and have not already received a bachelor’s degree. The FAFSA form must be filled out annually to establish your eligibility for federal student aid, including the FSEOG. Each year, your institution will distribute the FSEOG in accordance with your eligibility and other aspects of the college.

In order to keep receiving federal student aid, you must continue to achieve sufficient academic progress. In other words, you need to maintain your progress toward successfully finishing your degree or certificate in a time frame that is acceptable to your institution by maintaining strong enough grades and completing enough coursework (credits, hours, etc.).

For the purposes of financial aid, each school has an acceptable academic progress policy. To find out what your school is, visit the website of your school or speak with someone in the financial aid office.

Most Popular Active Scholarships

Load More Popular Active Scholarships

Be the first to know about a new Scholarship!

Don't miss any Scholarship deadline, sign up for our FREE Scholarships email notifications.