The Darmasiswa Scholarship is a scholarship program offered by the Indonesian government to foreign students interested in learning Indonesian language, arts, and culture. The program is aimed at promoting cultural exchange and understanding between Indonesia and other countries. It is administered by the Indonesian Ministry of Education and Culture (Kemendikbud) and has been available for several years.
The Darmasiswa Scholarship provides opportunities for international students to study at Indonesian universities, colleges, or institutes that participate in the program. The scholarship covers tuition fees, a living allowance, and other related expenses during the study period in Indonesia.
What are the Eligibility Requirements for Darmasiswa Scholarship:
It is essential to check the official sources, such as the Indonesian Ministry of Education and Culture, for the most up-to-date information:
- Nationality: The Darmasiswa Scholarship is typically open to foreign students from various countries around the world. The eligible countries may be specified by the Indonesian government for each application cycle.
- Age Limit: Applicants are usually required to be between a certain age range. For example, they might need to be between 18 to 35 years old at the time of application.
- Educational Background: The scholarship may be available for students at different academic levels, including undergraduate, master’s, and doctoral students, as well as for those pursuing non-degree studies or language courses. Specific requirements might vary based on the level of study.
- Language Proficiency: While there may not be a strict language requirement for beginners, having a basic knowledge of the Indonesian language could be beneficial. Some institutions may require applicants to undergo a language proficiency test as part of the application process.
- Academic Achievement: Applicants are often required to have a good academic record, especially for those applying for degree programs. This requirement might be more relaxed for non-degree language and culture courses.
- Health Requirements: Some scholarships might require applicants to meet certain health standards to ensure they can undertake studies in Indonesia without any health-related issues.
- Interest in Indonesian Culture: Applicants are expected to demonstrate a genuine interest in learning about Indonesian culture, arts, and language, as the scholarship program aims to promote cultural exchange.
- Recommendation Letters: Applicants might need to provide recommendation letters from teachers, professors, or other relevant authorities who can vouch for their academic abilities and character.
- Statement of Purpose: A well-written statement of purpose explaining the applicant’s motivation for applying for the scholarship and their future goals can be a crucial part of the application.
- Compliance with Visa and Immigration Regulations: Selected applicants will need to comply with the visa and immigration requirements set by the Indonesian government to study in the country.
What is the total award for Darmasiswa Scholarship:
The typical components of the Darmasiswa Scholarship award may include:
- Tuition Fee Coverage: The scholarship usually covers the tuition fees for the selected program of study or language course at the Indonesian university or institution.
- Living Allowance: Recipients of the scholarship are usually provided with a monthly living allowance to cover their basic living expenses while studying in Indonesia.
- Settlement Allowance: Some students might receive a one-time settlement allowance upon their arrival in Indonesia to help with initial expenses.
- Health Insurance: The scholarship may include health insurance coverage for the duration of the study period in Indonesia.
- Round-trip International Airfare: In some cases, the scholarship might cover round-trip international airfare from the student’s home country to Indonesia at the beginning and end of the study program.
- Books and Course Materials: Some scholarships might provide additional support for books, course materials, or cultural activities.
What are the Eligibility Criteria for Darmasiswa Scholarship:
Here are some common eligibility criteria that applicants typically need to meet to be considered for the Darmasiswa Scholarship:
- Nationality: The scholarship is usually open to foreign students from countries other than Indonesia. The eligible countries may be specified by the Indonesian government for each application cycle.
- Age Limit: Applicants are generally required to be within a certain age range, often between 18 to 35 years old at the time of application.
- Academic Background: The scholarship may be available for students at various academic levels, including undergraduate, master’s, and doctoral students, as well as for those pursuing non-degree language and culture courses. The academic requirements may vary based on the level of study.
- Language Proficiency: While there might not be a strict language requirement for beginners, having a basic knowledge of the Indonesian language can be advantageous. Some institutions may require applicants to undergo a language proficiency test or provide language proficiency certificates (such as TOEFL or IELTS) as part of the application process.
- Health Requirements: Applicants may need to meet certain health standards to ensure they can undertake studies in Indonesia without any health-related issues.
- Interest in Indonesian Culture: Applicants are generally expected to show a genuine interest in learning about Indonesian culture, arts, and language, as the scholarship program aims to promote cultural exchange.
- Academic Records and Recommendations: A good academic record, especially for degree-seeking applicants, is often considered, and applicants might be required to provide recommendation letters from teachers, professors, or other relevant authorities.
- Statement of Purpose: Writing a well-articulated statement of purpose explaining the applicant’s motivation for applying for the scholarship and their future goals is an essential part of the application.
- Compliance with Visa and Immigration Regulations: Selected applicants will need to comply with the visa and immigration requirements set by the Indonesian government for international students.
How To Get a Student Visa for Indonesia
- Receive Acceptance from an Indonesian Educational Institution: First, you need to apply and be accepted into a recognized Indonesian educational institution, such as a university or college. Ensure that the institution you choose is authorized to sponsor foreign students for visas.
- Prepare Required Documents: Gather all the necessary documents for your visa application. The specific documents may vary, but commonly required ones include:
- Passport with at least six months validity beyond your intended stay in Indonesia.
- Visa application form (available from the Indonesian embassy or consulate in your home country).
- Passport-sized photographs (as per the embassy’s specifications).
- Letter of acceptance from the Indonesian educational institution.
- Proof of sufficient funds to cover your living expenses in Indonesia.
- Health and medical certificates.
- Travel itinerary and a return ticket (or proof of sufficient funds to purchase one).
- Apply at the Indonesian Embassy/Consulate: Submit your visa application, along with all the required documents, to the Indonesian embassy or consulate in your home country. Some countries may also allow you to apply online through the Indonesian embassy’s website.
- Pay the Visa Fee: Pay the necessary visa application fee as instructed by the embassy or consulate. The fee amount may vary depending on your nationality and the type of visa you are applying for.
- Wait for Processing: The visa processing time can vary, but it typically takes a few days to a few weeks. Be sure to apply well in advance to allow for any processing delays.
- Receive Your Visa: If your application is approved, you will receive a visa sticker in your passport, which will allow you to enter Indonesia.
- Register with Local Immigration Office: After arriving in Indonesia, you will need to register with the local immigration office (Kantor Imigrasi) within a certain period. The educational institution that sponsored your visa will usually assist you with this process.
- Convert Student Visa to Stay Permit (KITAS): Once in Indonesia, your student visa (VITAS) can be converted into a Limited Stay Permit (KITAS) by your educational institution. They will help you with the necessary procedures and documentation.
The Annual and Renewable Options For This Scholarship
This is an annual scholarship opportunity.
The deadline online registration is from February 20, 2024 until April 7, 2024.
There is an interview that students advancing towards being selected for this scholarship which is mentioned as starting on April 8, 2024.
Other available scholarships to look at are Fully-funded The Asian Development Bank – Japan Scholarship Program (ADB-JSP) for Postgraduate Students from ADB Member Countries, The University of Tokyo, Japan 2024 or $5,000 UNSW 2023 Scholarship Program for International Students.
All applicants should consult the contact webpage that is in the contact section of this page if a question has not been answered. Beforehand check the university’s FAQs page to see if anything can be answered right away.
All students should check with the university website about any delays or changes to the open submission window or deadline time frame. This is the best way to see if anything needs to be reviewed or changed before submitting their application. Anyone can sign up to receive a university website newsletter to stay updated on the latest information.
Any student unsure about the rules and guidelines meant to be followed by the recipient should consult the website link provided. Anyone looking for more information that is not found on the website should contact the email address.
We also suggest that all applicants read through the information guideline page that is available through the original scholarship link. This way, the individual can navigate the website correctly and identify the real scholarship online application. So far there has been no mention of any delays for this opportunity or any cancellations.