However, the Omega Fraternity has created the Psi Phi Scholarship Program that might interest you.
Founded on November 17, 1911, the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. recognized the intellectual importance of humanity’s development. They placed scholarship at the forefront of their fundamental principles which are: manhood, scholarship, perseverance, and elevation.
This psi-phi fellowship is an essential unit of the Organization. For everyone and everything in the brotherhood, dedication to scholarship has been their watchword. However, there are several awards under this Psi Phi Scholarship, but their benefit is the same.
They’ll be explained in the last part of this article so you know what you’re eligible for and then apply for what fits your stance.
About the Psi Phi Scholarship
It is the first international fraternal organization with more than 750 undergraduate and graduate chapters. Omega Life Membership Foundation, Inc. was recognized in 1984.
The scholarship was nurtured by the Omega Fraternity through the following goals.
- Motivate regions to recognize high academic achievement by helping students through scholarship aid for students at all levels and by working to achieve refreshing academic goals among high school youth.
- Encourage determined research and creative production among all without preference of race or gender.
- Increase the awareness and relevance of the scholarship among the undergraduate members especially.
- Promote academic excellence at an international, regional or local level.
Actually, there are different categories of this scholarship. Their eligibility criteria will be discussed in the last part of this article.
What is the benefit of the scholarship?
As the scholarship program has different categories, Psi Phi scholarship recipients win $5,000, which will include travel, accommodation, and registration expenses. However, the various rewards of the scholarship categories are as follows:
Eligibility – Who can reap the benefits of the Psi Phi Scholarship?
To be eligible for this program, sorority members must be in good standing at the international, regional, and chapter levels to be considered eligible to receive an award. However, applicants can only participate in one award globally.
In addition, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- The scholarship program is open to any subject at the undergraduate level.
- The scholarship is organized by the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. located in the USA.
- The countries that are eligible to apply for this scholarship program are Georgia and other countries.
Scholarship Descriptions / Eligibility Criteria
Do you remember that we talked about the different categories to which the scholarship reaches? Here are their descriptions and the eligibility stance for each of them. Have a smooth sail along the lines.
District Scholar of the Year Award
The District Scholar of the Year Award is given at the District level. As a way to encourage scholarship among fraternity members who are college students.
This particular scholarship was made to applaud a college student who has shown excellence. In addition, it is administered annually to one person. It is the highest academic honor at the district level.
At the time of application submission, the applicant MUST be:
- A fellow at the undergraduate level whose position must be raw and enrolled in an accredited four-year institution of higher education.
- In good financial classification at an international, regional, and local level.
- possess at least a CGPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale
Here, the entire application is evaluated and ONE Scholar emerges as the winner of the year. The competition for the International Scholar of the Year Award is welcome.
International Scholar of the Year Award
This is the sorority’s highest academic award. It takes knowledge not only of a student’s academic performance but also of their integral commitment to contribute to the development of the organization.
The only requirement for this is that from the applicants who were chosen as District Scholar of the Year, the International Scholar of the Year will be selected. In line with receiving $5,000 for being District Scholar of the Year, an additional $10,000 will be given.
Although, this award is held annually.
Founder’s Memorial Scholarship
To recognize the academic achievements of undergraduate and graduate brothers, this scholarship was founded in honor of the founding brothers of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity.
The display of the founding brothers’ academic traits must have been indicated by selected candidates.
This commemorative scholarship commission awards 4 scholarships annually. These are the criteria that an applicant must meet.
- You must be in good financial standing at all levels.
- The applicant must be of junior or graduate or professional rank of the school.
- Have a good relationship with the university, graduate, or professional school.
- Enrolled full-time in an accredited four-year university
- Have a minimum of 3.0 as a CGPA on a 4.0 scale.
Grand Basileo Award
This was established to provide financial assistance to senior graduates who have demonstrated academic excellence throughout their undergraduate years. This is in recognition of the Great Basilei of the fraternity.
Upon submission of the application to the region, the applicant MUST:
- Being a fellow undergraduate who is of high rank.
- Enrolled full-time at an accredited four-year institution.
- Have a good financial position at all levels.
- Graduate during the summer or spring semesters of the year.
- Have a CGPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale
H. _ Carl Moultrie I Legal Scholar Award
The H. Carl Moultrie I Legal Scholar Award was created to support studies in Law by Brothers who have demonstrated academic excellence throughout their legal professional years, while also supporting the concepts of the organization.
The award is established in memory of the Honorable Brother H. Carl Moultrie, I., who is the Fraternity’s first National Executive Secretary and former Chief Justice of the Superior Court of the District of Columbia.
At the time of filing, the applicant MUST:
- Be a sibling graduate who is enrolled in an accredited law school for a Juris Doctor or its full-time equivalent.
- Have a good academic relationship with the institution.
- Be in good financial standing at all levels (International, District, Chapter).
- Have served the sorority during the application year.
Undergraduate and Graduate Scholarships
These grants were founded to support any sibling applying for a college, graduate, or professional degree. It offers two annual scholarships. The first is for a fellow undergraduate and another for a graduate brother.
Upon submission of the application, the applicant MUST:
- Be preferably young.
- Be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate/graduate student at an accredited institution.
- Have a good reputation from the university.
- Possess a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
However, the amount of this grant is an additional $3,000 each. It is administered annually.
William H. Hastie Research and Creativity Grant
The Creative and Research Scholarship was established in honor of the Hon. William Hastie and his legacy as a student, educator, and legal expert. Recognizes innovative scholars and artists who urgently need assistance to complete their work, publication, or study in progress.
The applicant MUST be able to:
- Provide proof of work in progress and an abstract to explain the research being carried out.
- Be passionately active in life-changing research in your various career paths.
- Be admitted full-time to an accredited university, graduate, or professional school.
- Have a good financial position at all levels of the brotherhood.
- Request assistance with ongoing projects in any field of study.
Dr. Benjamin E. Mays Divinity Scholarship
This scholarship seeks to support graduate studies in religious or divinity studies. It was founded in September 2017 and received the consent of the Supreme Council in honor of the late professor, Dean of the Howard University School of Divinity.
At the time of submitting an application, the applicant MUST:
- Be enrolled full-time in an accredited graduate school of divinity.
- Have a good financial position at all levels.
- Pursuing a degree in religious or divinity studies.
Dr. W. Montague Cobb Medical Scholar Award
This award was created to support studies in the field of medicine. Brothers who demonstrate academic excellence throughout their years of medical education while upholding the goals of the Omega fraternity.
It is in honor and memory of Dr. W. Montague Cobb, a renowned professor at Howard University and president of national fellowships.
During application, the partner MUST:
- Being a graduating sibling enrolled in an accredited dental or medical school full-time and also seeking a Ph.D.
- Have a good academic standing with the institution.
- Display traits of dedicated service to the fraternity during the application year.
- Be in good financial standing at all levels (International, District, Chapter).
Ronald E. Mcnair Scientific Achievement Award
In recognition of the academic achievement of undergraduate brothers who are pursuing degrees in the fields of Engineering, Technology, Science, and Mathematics. This award was founded.
Seek to honor the brother. Dr. Ronald E. McNair, American physicist, and NASA astronaut.
When applying, the applicant MUST pass the following criteria:
- Must possess a CGPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- The applicant must be a college student who is young.
- Have a good recommendation from the institution.
- Being a sophomore college brother.
- Obtain a university degree in the areas of Engineering, Technology, Science, and Mathematics, but not limited to Physics, Mathematics, Biology, and Engineering.
Herman .S. Dreer Scholarship/Leadership Award
This award provides financial assistance to a College Brother who best demonstrates the cardinal principles of manhood, scholarship, perseverance, and elevation.
The award was established in memory of a popular educator, minister, giver, and author of the first Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. His daughters, Clarice, Davis, and Vivian Dreer, along with friends from the St. Louis Community, founded the award.
At the time of filing an application, the applicant must be required to:
- Possession of a good financial position at the international, district, and chapter levels.
- A good reputation of the institution.
- Full-time enrollment at an accredited four-year university.
- A CGPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
George E. Meares Award
In order to support graduate study in social work, criminal justice, and social work, this award was created.
Mrs. Minnie J. Draughan in memory of her late husband Bro. George E. Meares, whose service to the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. was like a Great Basileo. However, at the time of application submission, the applicant is required to:
- Pursue a graduate degree in any of the following areas: social sciences, social work, or criminal justice.
- A good posture with graduate or professional school.
- Full-time enrollment in an accredited graduate or professional school.
Dr. Moses C. Norman, Mr. Education Scholarship
The Dr. Moses C. Norman Sr. Education Scholarship supports degree-seeking men of color in the field(s) of education. This includes undergraduate and graduates studies. Established in September 2017, this award requires the following applicants:
- A balanced financial statement at all levels.
- A CGPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale while a graduating brother has a CGPA of 3.4.
- Active demonstration of service during the application year.
- An application letter (typed), resume, official transcript, and three professional letters are required.
- One color photo in digital format: International Scholarship recipients will provide one photo after the award announcement in May.
- The reference letter is sent directly to the President of the District Scholarship and on separate covers. The applicant may also choose to submit them in a sealed envelope along with the application package.
- For the Herman Dreer Award, applicants must also submit a 500-word message. TYPED comprehensive essay on leadership and humanitarian achievement. The article will be labeled ‘HERMAN DREER LEADERSHIP ESSAY’.
- The applicant will provide the name, title, mailing address, and email address of three people who will provide the professional reference letter.
- Students must have a good command of the English language and a certificate to prove their command of English.
How do I apply for the Psi Phi Scholarship Program?
To apply for the Program, applicants must follow the application link below to complete the online form and submit it.
When is the deadline to apply?
The Psi Phi Scholarship application varies and to see the dates of each of the scholarships, click on the link below.
Frequently Asked Questions About the Psi Phi Scholarship Program
Georgians and people of other nationalities can apply.
It is the reward for intellectual excellence among the members of the Omega Fraternity, Incorporated.