The University of Otago in New Zealand is extending an invitation to students, both domestic and international, to apply for the Tuition-fee Scholarship Awards for the upcoming academic year of 2023-2024. These awards aim to provide financial support to students pursuing higher degree research and academics at the university.
By offering this assistance, the university strives to empower students in their educational journey. So, if you’re a student seeking financial aid for your studies at the University of Otago, this opportunity could be of great value to you. The scholarship offered by the university is a step closer to achieving your academic goals.
Selection Process for the Scholarship
During the selection process for the scholarship, the main factors taken into consideration are the applicant’s academic merit and their potential for research. These criteria help to identify individuals who have demonstrated outstanding academic achievements and possess the capabilities required for successful research work. By focusing on academic merit and research potential, the scholarship program aims to support talented individuals who have the ability to excel in their chosen field of study.
It’s important to note that this scholarship specifically provides support for the thesis component of a Master’s Research degree, limited to a maximum of one year of full-time enrollment. Furthermore, the scholarship only partially covers the tuition fees, which are higher for international students compared to New Zealand domestic students. The scholarship covers the tuition fees for the thesis portion at the domestic fee rate, which is considerably lower than the total tuition fees. As an international student, you will be responsible for paying the remaining difference between the two rates.
Scholarship Provider: The University of Otago
About the Provider
Established in 1869, the University of Otago holds the distinction of being the second highest-ranked research university in Otago, New Zealand. Boasting a vibrant community of over 20,000 students, the university has garnered attention from both domestic and international students who are drawn to its commitment to providing excellent education and diverse research prospects. With a rich history and a reputation for academic excellence, the University of Otago continues to be a sought-after destination for individuals eager to pursue their educational and research endeavors.
At the University of Otago, excellence is at the core of our research-led learning environment. We take pride in our well-established reputation for delivering high-quality education. As a university community, we are dedicated to addressing significant global challenges and nurturing the future generation of professionals in diverse fields of study. Our commitment extends across a wide range of disciplines, as we strive to provide an exceptional educational experience that equips students with the skills and knowledge necessary to make a positive impact on the world.
Source: The University of Otago
List of Available fields:
- Rehabilitation Medicine
- Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Information Science
- Radiation Therapy
- Human Nutrition
- Marine Science
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Food Science
- Microbiology and Immunology
- Public Health
- Computer Science
- Occupational Therapy
- Applicant’s Nationality: Local and International Students
- Degree Level: Master and PhD
- Fields: Listed available fields for the scholarship
- Number of Awards: NA
- Duration: One Year
- Scholarship Country: New Zealand
- Scholarship Awards: Tuition-fee
- Renewable: Yes
- Offered Annualy: Yes
Before proceeding with the application, the students must meet the eligibility criteria of the scholarship.
- Both local and international students are eligible to apply for the scholarship awards.
- The applicants must obtain their first master’s degree qualification and must meet the admission requirements of the university.
- International students must have a good communication skills in oral and written English.
- Must be undertaking their thesis masters
- Must meet the International grade requirements of the University
- Must be enrolled in any of the eligible courses offered for the scholarship awards
- Must be able to demonstrate their academic and research abilities
Keep in mind that the Univeristy offers more scholarship in related to research, some eligibility requirements will differ in the listed above eligibility criteria. It is important to read more scholarship opportunities and eligible fields of the awards at the official page of the provider.
How to Apply for the Scholarship
The application for the scholarship award can be completed in an online portal provided by the university. The application form will be available at the portal and must read the “When to Apply” Section/
When to Apply
The application for the scholarship awards can be made in two ways:
The application for Admission:
- If the degree is solely based on a thesis or if the thesis work will commence immediately, you will receive an alert in your eVision portal after submitting your admission application. This notification will invite you to apply for a scholarship.
Just before the thesis component begins:
- Typically, this applies to master’s degrees that involve both coursework and a thesis, and the thesis component usually begins in the second year.
- You will receive an alert in your eVision portal after enrolling in your thesis paper, prompting you to apply for a scholarship.
The application opportunity will ensure that every applicants will have the chance to apply for the scholarship offered by the university during the admission process or when the applicants will commence their thesis work.
The University of Otago offers a scholarship tuition fee waiver amounting to up to NZ$17,172 Stipend per annum and tuition fee waiver. Keep in mind that the successful students must cover the remaining balance of their tuition fee at the university.
The deadline to complete and submit the application is still open until further notice.