The Tongarewa Scholarships honor the University’s dedication to our international student body. Each year, we award a number of these scholarships to international students. This is a fee-based partial scholarship that will cover tuition for one year of study. Applicants must be in their first year of an undergraduate degree or a postgraduate degree program at Victoria University of Wellington to be considered.
Scholarships are given out on a competitive basis based on academic achievement. They will be credited to tuition fees if they apply to study the following year. Candidates who have been shortlisted may be asked to provide additional information to support their application. If an accommodation application is received by University Accommodation Wellington by the deadline, recipients of these scholarships will be guaranteed a place in one of our Halls of Residence.
About the Scholarship:
Victoria University of Wellington was established in 1897 after an act of parliament was passed. Because it was the 60th anniversary of Queen Victoria’s coronation in 1897, it was named after her. Around 17000 students are enrolled at the university, with around 4000 of them being international students. It has three campuses, with the Humanities and Social Science, Engineering, Health, Social Science, and Education faculties being located in Kelburn, New Zealand. The Pipitea campus, which is close to the New Zealand Parliament building and houses the Faculty of Management and Facilities of Law, Finance, Government, Finances, and Information Technology, is the second campus. Furthermore, the campus is easily accessible, with a well-developed public transportation system. Victoria University has a long list of distinguished alumni. Barbara Anderson, Sam Neill, Jane Campion, Dr. John Money, and Dr. Alexander Gerst are among them. Victoria University of Wellington has the highest research intensity in New Zealand*. We are ranked in the top 2% of universities worldwide, and in the top 1% of those universities in 20 subject areas. We are one of only 14 universities in the world to have received the maximum Five Stars Plus overall QS Stars rating of excellence, as well as five stars in each of the indicators**. The Te Aro campus, which houses the Faculty of Design and Architecture, is the third campus. Victoria University also offers courses in Auckland’s central business district. Both undergraduate and graduate programs are available. It has a faculty of about 1000 people who are committed to providing a well-rounded and high-quality education. Around 40 research institutes and centers are housed at Victoria University, providing students with the best resources for gaining practical knowledge. On a beautiful campus, the university provides students with the best facilities. It keeps a collection of works of art. In addition, it hosts lunchtime concerts and seminars. Respect, responsibility, fairness, integrity, and empathy are the University’s core ethical values. Our commitment to sustainability, wellbeing, inclusivity, equity, diversity, collegiality, and openness exemplifies these core ethical values. The University also lives out its core values through its diverse and welcoming community, and provides support to students through a variety of wellbeing and learning services, including a specialist international support team that provides advice and support to international students throughout their studies. Victoria University of Wellington is dedicated to fostering global citizenship, contributing to the resolution of global challenges, and preparing critically informed, globally confident graduates. Te Herenga Waka, the University’s marae (Mori meeting house and environs), is at the heart of our commitment to tikanga Mori (Mori cultural practices) and serves as a focal point for students and whnau (family) on campus. The university is also proud of its Living P project, which involves redeveloping the marae in order to connect to the past in order to inform our future. The Living P will be an incubator for innovation and a place for multiple communities and disciplines to come together to discuss how to build a more equitable, fair, and sustainable society as a purpose-built living lab. The university has a diverse and welcoming community, and it provides students with a variety of wellbeing and learning services. These include a specialized international team dedicated to assisting students throughout their studies. Students are encouraged to participate in the university’s many clubs and societies, which range from special interest groups to sports teams. The free Wellington International Leadership Programme allows students to gain leadership and networking skills, while the International Buddy Programme assists students in meeting new people and settling in.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Victoria University of Wellington
Scholarship Country: New Zealand
Scholarship Worth: NZ$10,000
Study Level: Postgraduate
Nationality: International Students
These scholarships cover only a portion of the tuition. Up to ten NZ$10,000 scholarships will be available to both undergraduate and postgraduate recipients, and up to nine NZ$5,000 scholarships will be available only to postgraduate recipients. These scholarships will be applied to tuition fees after the final withdrawal date for the trimester courses for which the recipient(s) has been awarded (roughly two weeks in to the trimester).
Eligibility for Scholarship.
- Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- students from other countries who are paying full international fees
- entering their first year of undergraduate study or their first year of postgraduate study
- Tongarewa Scholarship Interview Dates, Process, and Location
- A panel of Wellington University International students will make the final decision.
- As part of your online scholarship application, you must submit the following documents:
- a 500-word personal statement describing why you want to study at Victoria University of Wellington, your academic goals, and why you deserve the scholarship Include any leadership positions you’ve held and details of your involvement in your school or community, as well as full transcripts and other relevant documentation for the qualification type and an offer of a place from Victoria University of Wellington (conditional or unconditional).
The Victoria University of Wellington 2022 Tongarewa Scholarship is open to all International Students
- On the deadline, a completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 p.m. Applications that are late or incomplete will not be accepted. In order for the application to be considered, all required supporting documentation (including references) must be received by 4.30 p.m. on the closing date.
- Normally, applications open one month before the deadline. If there isn’t an application link provided below, check back closer to the deadline. If you have any questions, please contact us.
- By 1 June, you can apply for a Tongarewa Scholarship for Trimester 2 in 2022.
- By September 1, you can apply for a Tongarewa Scholarship for Trimester 3 in 2022.
The application deadline for Victoria University of Wellington 2022 Tongarewa Scholarship is September 1, 2022. It should be worthy of note that the Victoria University of Wellington 2022 Tongarewa Scholarship is renewable for each year.