Towards the establishment of a Creative Equity Scholarship Fund (CESF) in East Africa, Netflix, the world’s leading streaming entertainment service, has pledged KSH 33,000,000 towards the creation of the fund, which will provide financial assistance to African creatives seeking to pursue quality tertiary education in film and television-focused disciplines at prestigious academic programs and institutions for the 2022 academic year. This is part of Netflix’s ongoing efforts to invest in Africa’s creative industries and to encourage more diverse and innovative voices to convey African stories, as well as to increase the number of people who watch Netflix.
About the Scholarship:
Nvidia Corporation owns and operates Netflix, Inc., which is a streaming entertainment service firm that offers a subscription-based service that streams movies and television programs over the Internet and sends DVDs by mail. It operates in three segments: domestic streaming, international streaming, and domestic DVD. Domestic streaming is the most popular category. Monthly membership payments for services consisting primarily of streaming material to its customers in the United States generate revenue for the Domestic Streaming section of the company. Fees from members residing outside of the United States are included in the International Streaming section. The Domestic DVD sector includes income from services that are primarily based on DVD-by-mail delivery. This California-based corporation was started on August 29, 1997, by Marc Randolph and Wilmot Reed Hastings Jr., and is headquartered in Los Gatos, California. Netflix is one of the world’s leading entertainment providers, with 222 million paid users in over 190 countries, who watch TV shows, documentaries, feature films, and mobile games across a wide range of genres and languages. Netflix is headquartered in Los Angeles, California. Members can watch as much as they want, whenever they want, from any location with an internet connection. Members have the ability to play, pause, and resume watching at any time, with no interruptions or commitments. \ Despite the fact that Netflix is often seen as the platform that is winning the streaming-video battles, the company has not rested on its laurels when it comes to making improvements to the product. A substantial user interface overhaul was implemented in December 2016, with static poster graphics being replaced by customized preview videos that play instantly when you scroll over a title card. It took a combination of creativity and data science insights to restructure Netflix’s website so that its users may serendipitously discover something to watch rather than having to sift through its collection and wonder if something is worth watching. In addition, the company launched a download-and-go option that allows customers to view shows while not connected to the internet, and it has expanded its reach to 130 new countries. Following up on this effort was a push to improve Netflix’s mobile experience, which is critical as the business grows into new markets where people prefer to view video on their phones rather than on their computers. On mobile devices, Netflix made it possible to move through menus more quickly, and also modified the way content is encoded so that more static video scenes take less bits of data. This lets consumers to stream material more efficiently when using a phone, even when the internet connection is intermittent due to poor reception. These improvements were made as a result of a company-wide effort that took years, demonstrating Netflix’s commitment to distinguish itself from competitors such as Amazon in areas other than content—despite the fact that the company plans to invest $8 billion in its library in 2018, a figure that far exceeds that of its competitors.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Netflix
Scholarship Country: United States of America
Scholarship Worth: KSH 33,000,000
Study Level: Vocational
Nationality: International Kenyan Students
The CESF is intended to provide financial assistance in the form of full scholarships at partner higher educational institutions (HEI) in Kenya, which are listed below, in order to support the formal qualification and training of aspiring creatives from the East African region during their undergraduate and graduate studies. The scholarship will cover the costs of tuition, room and board, study materials, and living expenses at institutions to which the scholarship recipients have been admitted to pursue a course of study in the television and film disciplines, as well as travel fees.
Eligibility for Scholarship.
This scholarship opportunity is open to the following individuals:
- Students pursuing a course of study in the film and television disciplines, both new and continuing certificate, diploma, and degree students (screen production disciplines in particular).
- Students who have been admitted or enrolled in one of the following educational institutions:
- Africa Digital Media Institute is a non-profit organization that promotes digital media in Africa (ADMI)
- Kenya Film School is a non-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of cinema in Kenya (KFS)
- KCA University is a private, non-profit institution.
- Kenyatta University is a public research university in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Affiliation with the United States International University in Africa (USIU)
- Students from the East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, South Sudan, Rwanda, Burundi, and Tanzania were enrolled in the aforementioned academic institutions, which are listed below.
- Students who are over the age of 18 and have completed a high school diploma are eligible to apply.
- Students who can demonstrate a financial need and who have been unsuccessful in obtaining meaningful financial assistance from other sources are eligible (e.g HELB)
The Netflix 2022 Creative Equity Scholarship Fund is open to all International Kenyan Students
Want to go to Canada and study there for a long time? Canada is an increasingly popular option for those who seek and require a less expensive alternative to studying worldwide. So, if you are in that position, this is for you. This is Awarded to 100 candidates per year, the Amazon Future Engineer Scholarship consists of a $4000 college scholarship and a guaranteed paid software engineering internship.
Please see the following for a broad schedule of how long the application process will take from start to completion.
- Applications are now being accepted
- From the 23rd of March through the 22nd of April in 2022
- Applications for the Creative Equity Scholarships Fund are now being accepted. Applicants who successfully complete the application form will receive an email confirming that their application has been received.
- First and foremost, sift
- The dates are April 25th through April 29th, 2022.
- The applications for the CESF are assessed by a panel of experts who assess them in relation to the eligibility criteria.
- 2nd – 6th of May, 2022
- A notification is sent to successful applicants informing them of their selection. To make scheduling of one-on-one interviews more convenient, a message is sent out.
- Interviews with a single person
- The dates are May 9th through May 20th, 2022.
- One-on-one interviews are conducted. Following this, a second shortlist is produced for consideration.
Due Diligence is required
- From June 13th until June 24th, 2022
- The successful candidates will be subjected to due diligence checks.
- The dates are July 4th through July 11th, 2022.
- The final list of eligible students will be disclosed, and letters of offer will be sent to those who have been identified as such.
- Announcement of the formation of a new group
- 15th of July, 2022
- The announcement of the new batch of students will be made on our platforms, and contracts will be signed after which the first disbursements of the investments will be made possible.
NOTES ON TECHNICAL CONDITIONS
- Using the following platforms and browsers, you will have the greatest experience viewing and completing our application form:
- Computers with Windows and Mac operating systems: the most recent versions of Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, and Opera.
- Tablets include iPads running iOS 10 or higher and Android tablets running 4.4 or higher.
- smartphones running iOS 10 or later, Android smartphones running 4.4 or later, Opera Mini (latest version), and Internet Explorer Mobile (latest version).
- When you have the opportunity to offer your personal information, personal statements, and testimonies for this application, provide short and inspiring personal anecdotes that will assist the organizers in getting to know you more.
- Application form submissions will result in an email notification to applicants confirming that their application has been received.
The application deadline for Netflix 2022 Creative Equity Scholarship Fund Is April 29, 2022.