You can be fully funded from high school to university if you are an academically excellent Zimbabwean student in the country. Joshua Nkomo Scholarships is one such scholarship for Zimbabwe students that you can use to finance your education at the highest level.
The Higherlife Foundation is offering Joshua Nkomo Scholarships for Zimbabwean Students. The Joshua Nkomo Scholarships are awarded for pursuing an undergraduate degree in the field of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM).
The Joshua Nkomo Scholarship is offered to the best students in their last 2-3 years of high school, and the best college and university students in their first and straight college master’s degrees.
If this satisfies you correctly and you meet the requirements, take this opportunity and apply for the Joshua Nkomo 2023 Scholarship. The PickAScholarship team has done its research and offers you all the details you need to win the Scholarship.
About Higherlife Foundation
Higherlife Foundation is an Africa-based social impact organization committed to investing in the future of children through education. The Foundation is working to scale its impact across Africa by increasing 2 million African leaders by 2025.
The Foundation focuses on orphans and vulnerable children, as well as students from disadvantaged backgrounds, and focuses its work in education in the three key areas of Access to Education, Improving the Quality of Education, and Life Development.
About the Joshua Nkomo Scholarship
The Joshua Scholarship is a merit-based scholarship program that focuses on identifying talented young Zimbabweans through a rigorous selection process and creating the opportunity for them to obtain the best and most relevant education at local and overseas tertiary education institutions in world-class. The scholarships are available to Zimbabwean citizens under the age of 21 at the time of application.
Education in Zimbabwe
Zimbabwe views investment in human capital through education as an important tool for sustainable development. Education is recognized as a fundamental and necessary human right for the development of people in society.
Zimbabwe’s education sector has suffered several challenges that have deteriorated its quality. These include poor physical infrastructure, brain drain, and falling standards of school achievement.
The vision of the Education Sector Strategic Plan is “to be the leading provider of inclusive and quality education for the socio-economic transformation of 2023”. The plan includes four pillars:
- Access for all, including the provision of adequate infrastructure, the opportunity for non-formal education, early identification of children at risk of not entering the system, dropout or delay, and strategies to help those who cannot meet education fees.
- Quality and relevant learning weeeith the introduction of a competency-based curriculum that includes ICT, STEAM/STEM, education for sustainable development, and life skills.
- Focus on students by creating, developing, monitoring, and enhancing the professional skills of teachers already in the profession and developing a service response curriculum.
- Strong leadership, management, and monitoring. Provide efficient and effective service delivery within an institution that has the proper structural framework.
Responding to these pillars, five basic programs have been identified:
- Introduction, monitoring, and adjustment of new curricula at all levels.
- Improve infrastructure to meet the needs of population growth and ensure learning environments are inclusive and age-appropriate.
- Introduction of a teaching quality improvement program to develop professional skills and competencies and formalize professional standards.
- Establishment of a capacity development program to manage institutional change for a modern and progressive educational system.
- Development of a Center for research, innovation, and development in education, and development of the country’s capacity to provide and analyze data that will inform its policies.
To monitor the implementation of the ESSP, Zimbabwe has identified performance indicators for outputs, outcomes, and processes, which will be disaggregated by gender, location, and socioeconomic status, and will be reviewed during annual reviews.
Level/field of study:
Joshua Nkomo Scholarships are awarded to study undergraduate and graduate programs for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Studies, as well as other disciplines.
The Joshua Nkomo Scholarship is hosted by Higherlife Foundation Africa, Zimbabwe.
Joshua Nkomo Scholarships is open to students from Zimbabwe.
Apart from Joshua Nkomo Scholarship 2023, there are other scholarships available for international students to study abroad. You can consult our scholarship by country to access all the available scholarships.
70% of the scholarships will be for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM), while 30% is reserved for other disciplines. The program includes leadership training and mentorship through internships, community involvement, and lifetime involvement through an active alumni network.
The number of offers was not specified.
Eligibility for Joshua Nkomo Scholarship 2023:
- Academic merit as determined by the applicant’s performance in public examinations (mainly ZIMSEC and Cambridge)
- For A-Level applications, a minimum of SEVEN (7) “A’s” is required.
- For university applications, a minimum of TEN (10) points for women and TWELVE (12) points for men is required.
- Where there are links, the extra criteria are applied as follows :
- Leadership potential as evidenced by levels of responsibility and office presence in and around the school
- Communities, as well as confirmed indications of Community Involvement and extracurricular activities
- Personal integrity as deduced from School reports and reports from other responsible authorities Documentation required
- Transcripts / public exam results
- Birth certificate
- national identification
- Character reference form (download it here)
- Character Reference Form to be delivered in person to any Higherlife Foundation office NB: Scholarships are for Zimbabwe public institutions only.
Joshua Nkomo Scholarship Application Procedure:
All applications must be made online at the scholarship.