Are you looking for a postdoctoral fellowship that will allow you to pursue cutting-edge basic research in an international and interdisciplinary environment? Do you want to work with world-class supervisors and colleagues, and benefit from a flexible and tailored training program that will enhance your career prospects? If yes, then you should not miss the IST-BRIDGE Postdoctoral Scholarship, a fully funded two-year fellowship program offered by the Institute of Science and Technology Austria (ISTA).
The IST-BRIDGE Postdoctoral Scholarship is part of the BRIDGE Network, a consortium of leading research institutions in Europe and beyond, that aims to foster excellence and innovation in science and technology. The BRIDGE Network partners include the Max Planck Society, the Weizmann Institute of Science, the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, and many more. As a BRIDGE fellow, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with these partners through optional academic secondments, as well as non-academic placements in industry or other sectors.
About the Scholarship Provider
The Institute of Science and Technology Austria (ISTA) is a young and dynamic research institution located in Klosterneuburg, near Vienna. ISTA was founded in 2009 with the vision of becoming a world-leading center for basic research in the natural and formal sciences. ISTA has a unique organizational structure that fosters interdisciplinary and curiosity-driven research, as well as excellence in education and outreach. ISTA hosts more than 50 research groups working on topics ranging from physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics, computer science, neuroscience, to robotics, data science, and artificial intelligence.
The IST-BRIDGE Postdoctoral Scholarship is open to applicants from all over the world who have completed or will soon complete their PhD or equivalent in the natural or computer sciences, mathematics or any related discipline. Applicants must have a strong research record and demonstrate their potential to become independent researchers. Applicants cannot have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Austria for more than 12 months in the 36 months immediately prior to the original call deadline. Researchers already employed at ISTA at the call deadline are not eligible to apply.
The IST-BRIDGE Postdoctoral Scholarship is hosted by the Institute of Science and Technology Austria (ISTA) in Klosterneuburg, Austria. Austria is a landlocked country in Central Europe with a rich cultural and natural heritage. It is known for its beautiful landscapes, historic cities, musical traditions, and high quality of life. Austria is also a member of the European Union and the Schengen Area, which means that BRIDGE fellows can easily travel and explore other European countries during their fellowship.
The IST-BRIDGE Postdoctoral Scholarship is fully funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement No 101034413. The scholarship covers:
- A competitive salary of a minimum EUR 61,000 gross per year
- Full social security coverage
- A single paid relocation allowance of EUR 2,000
- An additional funding of EUR 1,000 for researchers whose partner/family relocates with them
- A generous research budget for travel, equipment, consumables, etc.
- Access to state-of-the-art scientific facilities and infrastructure at ISTA
- A flexible and personalized training program with four career tracks: academic excellence, industry innovation, science communication, and science management
- Optional placements and secondments at BRIDGE Network partners or other relevant organizations
Level and Field of Study
The IST-BRIDGE Postdoctoral Scholarship is offered at the postdoctoral level and covers all research fields supported at ISTA. These include:
- Computer Science
- Data Science
- Artificial Intelligence
- And any related or interdisciplinary fields
How to Apply
To apply for the IST-BRIDGE Postdoctoral Scholarship, you need to follow these steps:
- Identify one or more potential supervisors from the list of ISTA faculty members whose research interests match yours.
- Contact them by email and discuss your research proposal with them. You need to obtain their consent to act as your supervisor before submitting your application.
- Prepare your application documents, which include:
- A curriculum vitae (max. 4 pages)
- A motivation letter (max. 2 pages)
- A research proposal (max. 4 pages)
- Two reference letters from senior researchers who can comment on your academic achievements and potential
- A copy of your PhD diploma or proof of successful defense (if available)
- A copy of your passport or ID card
- Submit your application online through the ISTA application portal before the deadline. You can apply for up to three projects with different supervisors, but you need to submit a separate application for each project.
- Wait for the outcome of the evaluation process, which consists of two stages: a remote interview and an on-site interview. You will be notified by email if you are invited for an interview or if your application is rejected.
- If you are selected for the fellowship, you will receive an offer letter from ISTA with the details of your contract and the start date of your fellowship.
To be eligible for the IST-BRIDGE Postdoctoral Scholarship, you need to meet the following criteria:
- You must hold a PhD (or equivalent) or have at least four years of full-time equivalent research experience and anticipate the completion of your PhD degree before the start of your fellowship (which should not be later than ~7 months post-deadline).
- You must not have resided or carried out your main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Austria for more than 12 months in the 36 months immediately prior to the original call deadline.
- You must not be employed at ISTA at the call deadline.
- You must have a high level of proficiency in English, both written and spoken.
- You must have a strong research record and demonstrate your potential to become an independent researcher.
- You must have obtained the consent of your potential supervisor(s) at ISTA before submitting your application.
The IST-BRIDGE Postdoctoral Scholarship has five calls for proposals, each with a different deadline. The deadlines are:
The current scholarship deadline is 05/11/23 (14:00 CET). You should submit your application before this date to be considered for the fellowship.
For more information about the IST-BRIDGE Postdoctoral Scholarship, please visit the official website of the program. There you can find the guide for applicants, the FAQ section, the list of ISTA faculty members, and the online application portal. You can also contact [email protected] if you have any questions or queries about the program.