They are called applications for the Ongoing Intra-Africa GENES Masters and Doctor of Philosophy Scholarships for Africans , 2023. GENES is funded by the Intra-Africa Program of the Executive Agency for Education, Audiovisual and Culture (EACEA) of the European Commission.
Intra-Africa GENES Master’s and Ph.D. The scholarships will promote diversity and gender equity in the workplace. Therefore, women and people from disadvantaged groups are especially encouraged to apply.
About GENES Intra-Africa
GENES is funded by the intra-African program of the Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA) of the European Commission. The consortium intends to:
- Produce 10 world-class Pold Holders plant breeders for Africa to accelerate cultivation of cultivar development to adapt to current and future challenges related to climate change and food and nutrition security;
- Train 36 MSc holders genomics scientists and 8 support staff with strong ability in cultivar development and new molecular breeding approaches to increase knowledge and prospects for breeding major crops including cereals, legumes , vegetables, fruits and biofuels used in Africa for food and nutrition security. the crop production industry;
- Harmonize the training programs and the research program of the consortium members (universities) on the use of
genomic selection to accelerate cultivar development and increase the resistance of crop production systems;
- Foster national, regional and global collaboration and programmatic agenda that advances genomics research and training for agricultural innovations in Africa.
GENES clearly exhibits the potential to accelerate the process of far-reaching reform, outreach, quality and harmonization of genomic improvement training programs across Africa.
GENES will also restructure academic research tailored to the needs of the continent with a focus on adaptation strategies using genomics, metabolomics, and transcriptomics.
As curriculum review is carried out at intervals within university systems following standard procedures, harmonization of programs can be carried out among HEIs in the consortium.
One of the main results of the GENES partnership will be the establishment and strengthening of programmatic relationships between four universities from three regions of Africa.
Two universities in West Africa (Ebonyi State University in Nigeria and Abomey-Calavi University in Benin), one university in East Africa (Jimma University in Ethiopia) and one university.
Consortium programs and courses are available at http://www.genes-intra-africa.org/programmes.php. GENES will promote diversity and gender equality in the workplace.
Therefore, women and people from disadvantaged groups are especially encouraged to apply.
Level / field of study
Offers are available to pursue Masters and Ph.D. programs.
Intra-Africa GENES Master’s and Ph.D. The scholarships are to study Mobility for Plant Genomics Scholars to Accelerate Climate-Smart Adaptation Options and Food Security in Africa.
This scholarship is for universities in Africa.
The GENES mobility grant is open to all students from any of the partner universities (Target Group 1) and to students from other universities.
Target Group 1: This category includes students enrolled (for the M.Sc application) or graduates (for the PhD application) from all partner universities, as follows:
- Ebonyi State University; Nigeria
- University of Abomey-Calavi; Benin
- Jimma University; Ethiopia
- University of Yaoundé 1
Target Group 2: students from all African countries
In line with the EACEA Intra-Africa Mobility Scheme Agreement, the scholarship will cover:
- Round trip flights and visa costs (using a preferred travel agency and calculated against direct linear distance);
- The direct costs of participation, such as tuition fees, registration fees, and service fees, as applicable;
- Comprehensive travel insurance (health, accident and travel)}
- A monthly diet for the mobility period.
Currently, 10 PhD and 20 Masters scholarships are available.
To be eligible for this scholarship you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a national and resident of any of the eligible countries covered by the EACEA Intra -Africa Mobility Scheme, and
- Register or obtain an HEI degree (or equivalent) from one of the HEIs included in the GENES consortium (Target Group 1)
- An HEI not in the GENES consortium but established in an eligible country (Target Group 2).
- Have sufficient knowledge of the language of the courses in the host countries.
- students with one year of post-B.Sc but not yet in any of the partner HEIs are also eligible to apply. However, mobility will begin in the second year of the study, that is, GENES sponsorship will only be for research work.
- Applicants whose first language is not English must provide evidence of proficiency in English at a higher level from the University.
Admission regulations for doctoral and master’s studies can be found on the IES prospective website. This application is for Project GENES scholarships only.
The scholarship application form along with other required documents must be sent as a single PDF attachment to the emails listed below.
You can download the MS Word version of the application form and complete it before submitting.
It is also important the student’s proposal that must be sent together with the application as a SINGLE DOCUMENT, preferably PDF.
Applicants must send a completed application and all supporting documents via email to [email protected] with a copy to Mr. Dennis Okporie, [email protected], by May 30, 2023.
They must indicate in the subject line (if sent by email) or overwrite the envelope (if sent by post) ‘Application for the GENES MSc/PhD Program’.
Other necessary documents are:
- Cover letter
- Scholarship Application Form (download from the GENES website)
- Student proposal (guidelines available on the GENES website)
- National ID or copy of passport data page
- Certificate of degree
- transcript records
- IES Submission Support Letter
- Letter of recommendation from the home supervisor (required for all applicants)
- Proof of enrollment in the major of the institution of origin (for MSc applicants)
- Curriculum vitae
- Employment certificate (for staff only)
- Certificate of knowledge of English or French
- Socioeconomic vulnerability test (if available)
You can start the application by clicking on the link below
Deadline for application
The submission of the application ends on May 30, 2023.
Get more details by clicking here