Spending time abroad learning another language is an absolutely recommendable experience, not only for your CV but for your personal development. If you have decided to study English in the United States or for your child to spend a school year on American soil, you will need to know the requirements to study in the USA.
The American educational system
The requirements to study in the USA depend on the different course options you are going to choose.
And, to have the first vision, it is necessary to understand what the structure of the American educational system is.
It is divided into five blocks:
- Elementary Education. Known in Spain as Primary Education and which begins at age 5.
- Secondary Education (Middle School). The equivalent of secondary education and comprising students between the ages of 11 and 15.
- Higher Education (High School). It is the higher school, which is studied between the ages of 15 and 18, and which they call pre-university education. It is one of the most recommended options to study for a school year in the USA.
- Degree study. It corresponds to the university stage and the Colleges.
- Postgrads studies. This includes master’s degrees and doctorates.
In addition to regulated education, there are many parallel options for those who are determined to learn English in the USA. For example, English courses for adults, summer camps, language immersion with an American family…
Once we have decided on the type of study that best suits our needs, we must focus on the legal requirements to be able to take it.
Requirements to study in the USA
In order to be an international student in the United States, you need:
- Enroll full-time in formal education, language learning, or non-formal education program.
- The study center must be previously approved by the immigration authorities (all our centers are).
- Have a minimum level of English that allows you to function normally in classes and that makes it easier for you to learn the language. We always carry out a small test during the interview to find out what your level is and how to adapt it to the English course in the USA that best suits you.
- Have sufficient financial resources to be able to afford expenses during your stay: food, accommodation, transport…
- Maintain a residence outside the United States during the program and have no intention of abandoning it (to prevent you from trying to stay in the country illegally).
Do you want to gain more experience as a leader? The perfect opportunity has presented itself for 2021. The Hurford Youth Leadership program is in search of young academic talent motivated to train as leaders in specific areas. By being part of this important project, the applicant will receive innovative and practical ideas, with the sole objective of enhancing her knowledge.
Hurford Youth Leadership has a duration of 3 months and will take place in Washington DC United States. Students from any part of the globe can participate in it. It should be noted that various prizes will be awarded as financial support to the winners of the selection process, some of them are Round trip airfare to their country of origin, cost of living, and fully equipped office, among others.
Leadership Program in the United States
Institutions where you will study:
Washington DC, United States.
Levels and study areas:
3-month leadership training program.
In addition, fellows would have the opportunity to conduct research, lead presentations, and participate in meetings and information exchange sessions on the following democracy-related topics:
- Defending democratic space.
- Promotion of inclusive governance.
- Strengthening of democratic leadership.
It may interest you: Exchange Program in the United States UGRAD
Who can participate?:
Students from any nation on the globe.
The Hurford Youth Leadership program will equip award-winning students with the following:
- Round trip airfare.
- Cost of living in the United States.
- Equipped office.
- Limited budget for long-distance phone calls.
- Monthly salary.
- Health Insurance.
Conditions that must be met by participants:
- Be a student who reflects a high academic level.
- Submit your formal registration for the full Youth Leadership Scholarship in the USA through the offeror’s official online system.
- Not be older than 30 years at the time of making your request.
- Broad command of the English language, it is unknown if a certificate is required to demonstrate their level in said language.
- Each document as a form must be submitted in the English language.
Instructions to apply:
- Transcripts and academic records.
- Project proposal.
- Personal summary.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Application forms.
- Among others.
To learn more about the selection processes and requirements, visit the official website of the full scholarship offeror at USA Youth Leadership Hurford.
Until July 31, 2022.