Are you seeking an opportunity to advance your education and career in the Americas? Do you want to study online at a prestigious European university that offers a wide range of master’s programs in different areas of knowledge? If so, you may be interested in applying for the OAS-UNIR Scholarship Program, a joint initiative of the Organization of American States (OAS) and the Universidad Internacional de la Rioja (UNIR) in Spain.
The OAS-UNIR Scholarship Program aims to support outstanding individuals from the OAS member states, except Spain, to pursue online master’s degrees at UNIR, one of the leading online universities in Europe. The scholarship program covers 60% of the tuition fees and provides access to high-quality education, flexible schedules, and personalized tutoring. The scholarship program also fosters the development of skills and competencies relevant to the region’s social and economic needs.
The scholarship provider is the General Secretariat of the OAS (GS/OAS), the central and permanent organ of the OAS, the oldest regional organization in the world. The GS/OAS supports the member states in creating policies and implementing programs that promote human development, democracy, security, and integration in the Americas. Through its Department of Human Development, Education, and Employment (DHDEE), the GS/OAS offers various scholarship opportunities for academic studies and professional development in partnership with its partner institutions, such as UNIR.
UNIR is an online university that offers official European degrees that are valid in the 27 countries of the European Union, as well as in other countries. UNIR has over 40,000 students from 90 countries and more than 1,800 professors and tutors who provide personalized guidance and feedback. UNIR offers a flexible and innovative learning model that adapts to the needs and preferences of each student, using cutting-edge technology and interactive resources.
The scholarship program is open to applicants who meet the following requirements:
- Be a citizen and/or permanent resident of any OAS member state except Spain.
- When applying for the scholarship, have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent, with a minimum grade point average of 7.5/10 or equivalent.
- Have unconditional admission to one of the eligible master’s programs at UNIR or be in the process of admission at the time of applying for the scholarship.
- I have not received other academic scholarships from the OAS or UNIR for the same or a lower level of studies.
- Not be an OAS staff member or an immediate relative of an OAS staff member.
The host country is Spain, located in the southwest of Europe, with a rich and diverse culture, history, and heritage. Spain is a member of the European Union, the United Nations, NATO, and other international organizations. Spain has a high-quality education system, with more than 80 public and private universities offering a wide range of academic programs in various fields of knowledge. Spain is also a popular destination for international students, who can enjoy its warm climate, friendly people, delicious cuisine, and vibrant nightlife.
The scholarship program covers 60% of the tuition fees for the online master’s programs at UNIR, which range from 4,320 to 6,120 euros, depending on the program. The scholarship recipients are responsible for paying the remaining 40% of the tuition fees and any other costs related to their studies, such as enrollment fees, administrative fees, taxes, and internet connection fees. The scholarship program does not cover travel, living, or health insurance.
Level and Field of Study
The scholarship program is for online master’s degrees in various fields of knowledge, such as administration, human rights, education, communication, marketing, sales, finance, human resources, technology, and more. The scholarship program offers 108 official European master’s programs, which are recognized by the Spanish Ministry of Education and valid in the 27 countries of the European Union, as well as in other countries. The master’s programs have a duration of one or two years, depending on the program, and require the completion of 60 or 120 ECTS credits, respectively.
How to Apply
To apply for the scholarship program, applicants must follow these steps:
- Complete and submit the online admission application to UNIR, following the instructions and requirements of the university. The admission application is free and does not imply any commitment from the applicant. The admission application must be submitted before February 29, 2024.
- Receive the letter of admission from UNIR, which will indicate the master’s program, the tuition fees, and the payment methods. The letter of admission will be sent by email to the applicant within 10 working days after submitting the admission application.
- Complete and submit the online scholarship application to the OAS, following the instructions and requirements of the OAS. The scholarship application must include the following documents: a copy of the letter of admission from UNIR, a copy of the bachelor’s degree certificate and transcript, a copy of the national identity document or passport, a curriculum vitae, and a motivation letter. The scholarship application must be submitted before February 29, 2024.
- Receive the letter of award from the OAS, which will indicate the scholarship amount, the scholarship conditions, and the scholarship acceptance form. The letter of award will be sent by email to the selected applicants within four weeks after the scholarship application deadline.
- Accept the scholarship by signing and submitting the scholarship acceptance form to the OAS, following the instructions and deadlines indicated in the letter of award. The scholarship acceptance form must be submitted before March 15, 2024.
Countries that can Apply
The scholarship program is open to applicants from any OAS member state, except Spain. The OAS member states are: Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, United States, Uruguay, and Venezuela.
The eligibility criteria for the scholarship program are as follows:
- The applicant must have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent, with a minimum grade point average of 7.5/10 or equivalent, at the time of applying for the scholarship.
- The applicant must have unconditional admission to one of the eligible master’s programs at UNIR, or be in the process of admission, at the time of applying for the scholarship.
- The applicant must not have received other academic scholarships from the OAS or from UNIR for the same level of studies or for a lower level of studies.
- The applicant must not be an OAS staff member or an immediate relative of an OAS staff member.
- The applicant must be proficient in Spanish, as the master’s programs are taught in Spanish. The applicant must provide a certificate of Spanish proficiency, such as DELE, SIELE, or equivalent, or a letter from a recognized institution that certifies the applicant’s level of Spanish.
The scholarship deadline is February 29, 2024. The applicants are advised to start preparing their admission and scholarship applications as soon as possible, and to submit them well before the deadline. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. The applicants can contact the OAS at [email protected] or UNIR at [email protected] for any questions or clarifications regarding the scholarship program.