Girls STEAM 360° scholarships are available to 150 girls. It is a free “online” program for young women from 10 to 18 years of age, residing in Panama. STEAM is an acronym for Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics.
This program seeks to reduce the digital gender gap, train in STEAM education with an emphasis on technology, programming, and robotics, while meeting and overcoming some challenges found in the “Diagnosis on Women and CTI (Science, Technology, and Innovation) in Panama”, SENACYT (analysis carried out in 2019).
ORGANIZING INSTITUTIONS OF THE PROGRAM
“STEAM Girls 360°” is a program developed by FUNDESTEAM and financed by SENACYT. Both institutions will be in charge of the process of contact, selection, monitoring, and implementation of the program.
FUNDESTEAM together with its allies, with the encouragement and commitment to supporting girls in studying and developing 21st-century skills and competencies hand in hand with educational technology, has launched the Girls STEAM 360° 2022 Scholarship, for students from OFFICIAL AND PRIVATE EDUCATIONAL CENTERS nationwide in Panama.
This is a program for young people between 10 and 18 years old, online and free, of training in STEAM education with an emphasis on technology, programming, and robotics.
This is a totally free program for young women who are selected to be part of “STEAM Girls 360°”.
Our goal with this program is for young women to develop technical-technological skills, social impact skills, and leadership skills that allow them to:
a. Promote the development of critical and creative thinking.
b. Learn to program using a graphical programming language and practice said knowledge in the context of a real project focused on achieving the SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals).
c. Strengthen their soft skills (leadership, creativity, digital communication, etc.) and empower them to follow their goals.
d. Teach them their rights and duties as Citizens.
THIS PROGRAM REQUIRES TIME AND COMMITMENT
The program lasts three months and requires a weekly dedication of four hours: two (2) synchronous hours (virtual meeting) and two (2) hours for asynchronous training (use of the platform according to availability in working hours). of the participant). In addition, once a month there will be mentoring with professional women on soft skills, lasting two (2) hours.
To obtain the certificate of completion of this program, you must attend 90% of the synchronous classes and complete the assigned asynchronous activities.
Be enrolled in an official or private educational center anywhere in Panama.
Availability of the participant for interviews where she relates her experience in the program.
Complete the aptitude test for STEAM education.
Permission to use images, to SENACYT and FUNDESTEAM, of the beneficiary and her attendees for the dissemination of Program activities.
Participate in the WhatsApp group or groups created by teachers and/or administrators to send notifications, activities, among others, regarding the “STEAM Girls 360°” program.
It requires a lot of desire! This is a completely free program and does not require prior knowledge. Just the interest of learning.
The Program will be carried out through learning units detailed below:
Unit 1 – Women in Antiquity
Unit 2 – Leadership and Equality
Unit 3 – Women in Science
Unit 4 – Women in senior positions or graduates in CTI
Unit 5 – Promoting the gender equality
Unit 6 – Challenge: Vaccines
Unit 7 – Challenge: High positions
Unit 8 – Challenge: We defeated inequality
Unit 9 – Introduction to Robotics
CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION FOR THE GIRLS STEAM SCHOLARSHIP 2022.
Parents interested in their daughter participating in the STEAM Scholarship 2022 must read, accept and meet all the requirements stipulated in this academic announcement.
1. Attendance of 100% of the synchronous classes and fulfillment of the assigned asynchronous activities.
2. The student must be between 10 to 18 years old.
3. Mandatory subscription to our social networks including our YouTube channel.
4. Be enrolled in an official or private educational center anywhere in Panama.
5. Make publications on their social networks (in case the students do not have them, their parents or legal representative must do so) about their participation in the different activities of the Girls STEAM Scholarship 2022.
6. The students must dedicate at least ( 1) one hour a day of asynchronous training by themselves.
7. Availability of the Scholarship Student for media interviews and sponsors to be able to relate her experience in the process.
8. Permission to use images and their attendees for the promotion of the program and informative use of the activities of the foundation and the sponsors.
9. Complete STEAM education standardized aptitude assessment.
10. HAVE A DESKTOP OR LAPTOP COMPUTER WITH THE FOLLOWING MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
-Intel (i3, i5) or AMD (A8, A10) processor
-4 GB of RAM
-Integrated graphics card (optional)
-Windows 7 or later operating system
– Mojave 10.9 or later Operating System (On MAC Computers)
11. Stable Internet connection.
12. Participate in the WhatsApp group or groups created by teachers and/or administrators to send notifications, activities, among others, regarding the STEAM scholarship program.
If you have this you can participate in the call. You will then receive an email with information on the next steps.
PHASES OF THE PROCESS
b. STEAM Skills Pre-Test Application
The award of the Girls STEAM 360° 2022 Scholarship is personal to the student and non-transferable. In no case may they exchange it for another type of economic or academic aid or for its amount in money to the organizations that promote it.
FUNDESTEAM and the sponsors of the program are exempt from any responsibility in the event of an error in the data provided by the participants themselves that prevented their identification.
What benefits do the Girls STEAM 360° Scholarships offer?
1. The STEAM GIRLS 360° 2022 Scholarship only covers the participation of the student, training during the program, the accompaniment of teachers and mentors.
1.1. It does not include support, financial resources and/or additional costs.
a. Virtual robotics simulator and educational programming for 3 months.
b. Platform for online courses on robotics, programming, and STEAM areas (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics) for 3 months.
c. Synchronous virtual classes once a week to prepare girls in knowledge focused on gender equality, using robotics and programming as learning tools, all focused on STEAM. For three (3) months
d. Asynchronous virtual classes in the training of STEAM areas through the LMS STEAM Virtual for three (3) months.
This grant will be opened on June 7, 2022
Deadline to apply: June 16, 2022, or until the available quotas are completed
Publication of results: June 17, 2022
Confirmation of the selected scholarship recipients: The selected girls, through the results of the aptitude tests, will be notified by email.
June 30th: Beginning of the course.