Through the joint project of the World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program and Joint Japan, the University of Tsukuba offers a fully-funded scholarship for the academic year of 2023-2024. The University of Tsukuba will be hosting the PEPP Program in Economic and Public Policy. The World Bank and/or Asian Development Bank scholarship will be offered to eligible students in developing countries to further their higher education in Japan with a fully funded award.
Interested applicants must meet the general admission of the university, the successful applicants will be awarded a fully-funded scholarship which includes tuition fee coverage, insurance, travel allowance, and a monthly stipend. The students will begin their studies for the academic year of 2023 and be expected to finish their studies by September 2025.
About the Program in Economic and Public Policy
Program in Economic and Public Policy (PEPP) is a program shown in English, offering a Masters in International Public Policy. The program means to give training and the fundamental abilities for the origination, plan, examination, and execution of public arrangements. The employees are specialists in applying economics to public policy using cutting-edge information on huge information examinations, econometrics, and measurements. Employees of PEPP work on various issues of economics, advancement, and public policy, including economic development, poverty reduction, health economics, agricultural economics, schooling, international exchange, tax collection, and natural issues in developing nations. They try to add to the production of an international local area of profoundly trained professionals addressing the day-to-day difficulties of economic and social turn of events.
The alumni of PEPP are active contributors aiming for the development of the world. They have gone on to take positions in various nations such as prime ministers, secretaries, directors in international organizations, professors, and department heads.
When did it all start?
PEPP (PEPPM as its ancestor) is the most seasoned accomplice program in Japan of the Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program, an enormous grant program for youthful professionals from developing nations supported by the Public authority of Japan and overseen by the World Bank in Washington, DC. During the beyond twenty years, in excess of 100 students from north of forty developing nations have moved on from PEPP. The College of Tsukuba PEPP is likewise one of the numerous scholastic institutions which partake in the Asian Development Bank-Japan Scholarship Program (ADB-JSP).
PEPP Scholarship Program Outline
In the program, students are expected to compose a master’s thesis in view of strong quantitative examination and to occasionally introduce their advancement to employees and different students. Most students who have an undergrad foundation in economics, have acknowledged students with a powerful urge to concentrate on economics at the graduate level who finished their undergrad studies in various disciplines, like:
The program begins in October with introductory classes, which are trailed by further developed courses. Following this, students can take an assortment of applied economics and policy-situated courses. Notwithstanding these classes, they are likewise expected to go to weekly research classes, during which every student is supposed to introduce their progress toward their master’s thesis. Students who effectively pass through the master’s thesis oral examination and obtain 30 credits or a greater amount of mandatory courses presented by the program will be granted the degree title: MA in International Public Policy.
- Academic Year: 2023-2025
- Applicant’s Nationality: Developing Countries
- Degree Level: Master’s Degree
- Field: Economic and Public Policy
- Number of Awards: NA
- Duration: 2 years
- Scholarship Awards: Fully-funded
- Scholarship Country: Japan
- Renewable: Yes
- Offered Annually: Yes
Before proceeding with the application the students must meet the eligibility of the scholarship.
- Hold a bachelor’s degree and have finished 16 years of school up to the undergraduate program. A strong foundation in economics and associated quantitative tools (linear polynomial math, calculus, and basic statistics)
- Must be a citizen of the developing countries as stated by the World Bank Member of 2022 and not be a nationality of the countries that are not eligible to receive financing from the World Bank.
- The applicants must not be scholarship holders of any universities or funding.
- Have, when of the Scholarship Application Deadline, something like three (3) years of late full-time paid professional experience procured being developed related work after a Bachelor’s degree or its same. In the event that the candidate is from a nation distinguished in the WB’s “Blended List of Delicate Situations” at the hour of the Scholarship Application Deadline, the new professional experience does not need to be full-time or paid.
- Must be under the age of 45 at the time of the application.
- The applicants must not be an employee of the World Bank Group, International Finance Corporation, International Development Association, Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency, or other close relatives.
Demonstrate capability in the use of the English language by submitting a TOEFL score or other proof considered suitable by the Master’s level college
- TOEFL score of iBT100, PBT600, or higher
- The students can complete their application in an online portal provided by the university.
- Applicants must check their eligibility.
- Must be able to complete the required documents of the university for admission.
The selection process will be based on the assessment of all documentation and on video interviews led by University of Tsukuba representatives. Qualified applicants will be reached in request to arrange a date and time for a video interview. Applicants will be informed of the results as soon as possible, with offer letters to be sent to successful applicants by both Email and conventional postal mail.
The applicants will be sent information on how to proceed with the enrollment.
The successful students will be receiving the following awards:
- Full cover of tuition fees and other related fees
- Monthly living stipend
- Roundtrip Air Travel
- Health Insurance
- Other related fees
The deadline to complete and submit the application is until January 27, 2023.