Better chance to study at the University of Gloucestershire with the help of the Studentship in English Language, Literature, and Creative Writing for the MA by Research and Ph.D. students for the academic year of 2022-2023. The Studentship will be awarded to two full-time students with a full tuition fee covered for one year.
Two students receive a research master’s degree or a Ph.D. Student studentship in English literature, English language, or creative writing in an eligible field of study. Applicants must be domestic students with an interest in the intended field of study. Winners will receive 100% tuition fees for this program.
The students will study under the guidance of experienced academics who have guided Ph.D. and Master’s students through to graduation.
This studentship offers an exciting opportunity to help students propose their original research projects. Successful applicants will be placed on the University of Gloucestershire’s Francis Close Hall campus. The successful students will be part of a stimulating and outward-facing research student environment, transformation, culture, and continuity.
Scholarship Provider: University of Gloucestershire
About the Provider
The University of Gloucestershire is a public university founded in the UK in 2001. The mission of the university is values-based, student-centered, and learning-oriented. The University of Gloucestershire is internationally recognized and offers outstanding internships and short-term experience.
The University of Gloucestershire is a sustainable university committed to providing excellent teaching and enabling its students to reach their full potential through a rich and far-reaching experience. The university has created an environment where every student can focus on their studies, interact with the local and international communities, advancements of skills and knowledge which includes a high-quality standard of teaching and learning.
The university is committed to bringing equal opportunity into the community from students, staff, and the councils. Students who choose to study at the University of Gloucestershire also choose diversity and connected communities that challenge them to explore and discover new things, being at the university means you can find the confidence to achieve your career goals and a development on knowledge and skills that will equip you personally and professionally.
The university drives more effort and pursues opportunities to influence and change society for the better by giving excellence and the best in everything they do. The university utilized creativity, entrepreneurship, and innovation to bring about positive change, encouraging every student to have an open debate, inquiries, and freedom of expression, by doing this the students and staff will do their best in an enthusiastic and passionate way on acquiring, creating, sharing insights, applying and better enrich their understanding.
- Academic Year: 2022-2023
- Applicant’s Nationality: Local Students
- Degree Level: Masters and Ph.D. Degree
- Field: Creative Writing, English Language, English Literature
- Duration: 1 Year
- Number of Awards: Two
- Scholarship Award: Fully-funded tuition fee
- Renewable: No
- Offered Annually: Yes
- Scholarship Country: United Kingdom
Before proceeding with the application, the students must meet the following:
- Applicants for the MSc by Research are required to have a BA (Hons) degree in English, English Literature, or Creative Writing (minimum standard 2:1 or equivalent).
- Ph.D. applicants must have a master’s degree in a relevant subject. Proven interest in the specified research topic is an advantage.
- Candidates for Ph.D. degree publication must submit material from your published work together with exegesis that reflects your work’s contribution to knowledge.
- The applicants must demonstrate their interest in the research topics.
Further information on this route is available upon request.
Research Topic Areas
- Creative Writing
- Literature and Decolonisation
- Crime fiction
- Travel Writing
- LGBTQ perspective
- Children Literature
- Ph.D. by Publication
Interested eligible applicants are required to log in to the online portal provided by the university and must be able to complete their admission applications.
As part of the application process, the students are required to submit the following to better support their application.
- Cover letter
- Research Proposal
About the Research Proposal
When you apply for the research degree at the University of Gloucestershire, the applicants are required to submit a 1000-word research proposal as this is essential to the application.
As the general rule of the scholarship, part of the evaluation will be considered depending on the research proposal of the applicants, here are some general points to consider:
- Your proposal can mark the start of your research journey with the University of Gloucestershire and you are therefore expected to put in the time and effort to write it. However, this is not a contract – if you are accepted into the program of your choice, you will continue to develop your ideas and methods at an early stage;
- There is a limit of 1000 words (excluding bibliography) – keep your proposal short, clear, and coherent, avoid overly long descriptions and jargon that the layman might not understand;
- Your proposal must demonstrate the ability to think clearly, independently, and critically, demonstrate a potential contribution to existing knowledge (for Ph.D. research) and demonstrate that your research is feasible within the timeframe of your chosen course of study – this may contribute to your add-on schedule or chart Gantt showing how/when you plan to achieve your goals;
- These are your suggestions outlining a topic that should be of interest to you personally – try to convey your interest in the topic to the reader;
- Along with references and qualifications, your proposal will be used to decide whether or not you will be accepted into the program. In addition to the quality of the proposal itself, it is checked whether the topic is in line with the university’s existing interests, which in turn is communicated to the prospective supervisor;
- Before submitting your proposal, double-check it for typos and grammatical errors. A well-written proposal without misspellings shows that time and attention have been given.
The successful students will be awarded a fully-funded tuition fee for one year.
The short-listed students will be invited for an interview.
The deadline to complete and submit the application is until August 15, 2022.