The SJLP Rhodes Scholarships, offered in collaboration with the Saïd Foundation, are available for candidates from Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, and Palestine. This prestigious scholarship program grants two scholarships annually to exceptional individuals from these countries. Established in 2016, the first batch of Scholars began their studies in October 2017.
Since the Rhodes Scholarships are specific to each region, the eligibility criteria, application requirements, and selection process may vary slightly depending on the constituency you are applying for. The scholarship will be exclusively offered to the citizens of Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, and Palestine (SJLP), and one of the most prestigious opportunities provided for the specific region that can demonstrate their leadership skills, exceptional academic records, and a solid dedication to the communities.
It is important to read all the provided information for the scholarship program, and make sure to review all the terms and conditions applied to the courses offered by the university, the method of study must fall within the scope of the Rhodes Scholarship.
Scholarship Provider: Rhodes Trust
About the Provider
Source: Rhodes Trust
Rhodes Trust is an international non-profit organization that unites diverse communities of individuals who may differ in their interests and backgrounds but share a common passion for making a positive impact on the world. Their collective mission is to drive meaningful change and address pressing global challenges.
One of the renowned institutions that holds a distinguished legacy in the realm of scholarship and academic opportunities. Established through the visionary philanthropy of Cecil John Rhodes in 1902, the trust aims to nurture exceptional individuals and empower them to make a positive impact on the world.
The Rhodes Scholarship
The Rhodes Scholarship is one of a life changing opportunity that let the scholarship awardees further their higher education at Oxford University. The scholarship was established by the Will of Cecil John Rhodes in 1902, the scholarship was one of the visionary projects of the foundation. The scholarship is one of the oldest and most prestigious international scholarship program in the whole world.
By the help of the scholarship, students from different parts of the world will be enabled to fulfill their full-time postgraduate degree at the Oxford University. One of the scholarship aim is to identify the young leaders all over the world. The academic scholarship is built upon the remarkable achievements of its Scholars and the specific qualities they are looking for in a Rhodes Scholar. These qualities include exceptional intellectual prowess, a genuine care for others, the drive to lead, and a strong commitment to public service. These criteria continue to be as compelling today as they were more than a century ago.
- Applicant’s Nationality: Syria. Lebanon, Palestine and Jordan
- Degree Level: Postgraduate
- Number of Awards: NA
- Scholarship Awards: Fully-funded
- Duration: NA
- Scholarship Country: United Kingdom
- University: Oxford University
- Renewable: Yes
- Offered Annually: Yes
Before proceeding with the application, the students must meet the eligibility criteria of the program.
The selection criteria for the scholarship was based and determined at the first Rhodes Scholars in 1902 and still followed by the selection committee of the scholarship:
- The academic excellence, scholastic achievements and literary.
- Students ability to demonstrate their talents such as debate, dance, music, theatre, artistic pursuit and teamwork.
- Students devotion, trust, sympathy and protection for the weak, fellowship, kindliness and unselfishness.
- Character to lead and an interest on concerns to their fellows.
The application for Rhodes Scholarship includes several stages.
- Apply for the Rhodes Scholarship before applying for your desired course at the University of Oxford.
- There is no application fee for submitting the Rhodes Scholarship application form, but only online applications will be accepted.
- It is recommended to apply for the Rhodes Scholarship before applying for the desired course at the University of Oxford. If selected as a Rhodes Scholar, further application for the chosen course should be made through the University of Oxford’s graduate application form, with assistance from the Rhodes House team.
- If unsuccessful in the initial application for the Rhodes Scholarship, you have one more opportunity to reapply (within the same constituency) while meeting the eligibility criteria.
The Rhodes application form includes the following requirements:
- Personal details: Contact information and relevant personal information.
- Eligibility criteria: Provide evidence of meeting the eligibility requirements.
- Education history: Include university transcripts and academic records.
- Course selection: Specify the course(s) you intend to study at the University of Oxford.
- CV: Submit a comprehensive curriculum vitae.
- Academic Statement: Provide a statement highlighting your academic achievements, goals, and aspirations.
- Personal Statement: Write a personal statement reflecting on your experiences, character, and motivations.
- Referees: Include a minimum of four and a maximum of six referees who can provide recommendations or references on your behalf.
- Copy of Valid Passport
- Birth Certificates
- Official transcript of records
- Copy of high school marks or certificates
- English Language Proficiency
- Students Visa Fees
- Health Services
- Economy flights
- Tuition fees
The deadline to complete and submit the application is until August 31, 2023.