The University of Sussex encourages international students to apply for the Ph.D. Position Maynard Smith Ph.D. Studentship for the academic year of 2022-2023. The scholarship is a fully-funded Ph.D. position that will cover the student’s tuition fee and a monthly stipend for 3 and a half years.
There are lots of Ph.D. Degree Scholarships for International students, one of them is offered by the University of Sussex which conducts research experiments on the individuals from the forest to cores edges, understanding the impact of the environmental changes on the metabolism and insect behaviors and life history.
Understanding behavioral responses to environmental changes are important to identify people who can remain in their habitat or disappear. Many species are continuously different (for example, the difference in individuality). These differences in individuality are strongly associated with life history, and physiological and/or morphological features. It is important to ignore how the environmental conditions affect how to affect the answer and results of environmental changes.
Ph.D. Research Project
Changes in the environment have many consequences for individuals, species, populations, and communities. Behavior is often the first reaction to such a change.
The University of Sussex offers fully-funded doctoral students in this area of research. Offering the opportunity to work with a large beetle forest in the UK and perform experimental work in the field, in cabinets, and in the laboratory. The student will perform individual experiments on forest cores and edges (edges are the boundaries of habitats with changing environmental conditions, usually due to changing land use). Topics covered by the successful candidate may include the impact of environmental conditions or changes in the environment (use of environmental gradients from forest trees to forests) on behavior, movement patterns, habitat use, and other life characteristics (metabolism, life history, and morphology). ), such as their (co-) dispersion.
This may include the development of personality differences, the decision-making under unpredictable environmental conditions, the cause and effect of POLS, and the effects on the environmental status of individuals, communities, and populations.
Scholarship Provider: University of Sussex
About the Provider
Ranked 246th in the QS Global rankings, the University of Sussex is one of the public research universities in the United Kingdom that strives to conduct high-quality education research and solves real problems, leads global policy programs, directs the business, and advocates for critical and creative thinking.
The University of Sussex is an institution that allows students to change the world. It is internationally known for bringing together leading scientists from different disciplines and has an approach that ensures the strongest and most meaningful results.
For more than 60 years the university aims for its research, courses, and campus to inspire and challenge the students with scientific research into global politics, and social care to students’ career developments. Sussex is evolving and leading. And now, in every part of society and around the world, you will find one in Sussex that makes an original and valuable contribution.
- Academic Year: 2022-2023
- Applicants’ Nationality: International
- Degree Level: PhD
- Field: Biology
- Number of Awards: NA
- Duration: 3 and half years
- Scholarship Award: Tuition fee and Monthly Stipend
- Scholarship Country: United Kingdom
- Renewable: Yes
- Annually Offered: Yes
- Candidates must have or expect to obtain at least a 2: 1 degree in biology as a related science, such as ecology. An MSc degree can be beneficial.
- The university expects a very enthusiastic, talented, well-organized, and secure candidate with strong quantitative skills.
- Applicants must be interested in Ecology, Insect Physiology, and Ecology.
- Previous experience with field data collection, insect work, behavioral observation, physiological analysis, and statistical modeling (preferably R) is an advantage.
- applicants whose mother tongue is not English will generally require an IELTS score of 6.5, with at least 6.0 in each section. The successful candidate will begin his doctoral studies around May 2023.
- The application can be done in an online portal provided by the university.
- If you are applying for funded projects or a research center or group, you will usually be asked to provide a statement explaining your suitability to work in the field.
- If you want to design your own research area, you must choose a research topic and applicants are usually expected to write a research proposal. Some areas may only require a summary of academic interests and that will be utilized to connect you with potential supervisors.
- On the application portal, applicants must choose the study program; Ph.D. Biology for the May 2023 entry, applicants must ensure to state the project title and include the supervisor’s name on the filled required application form.
- Late and incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Research Statements
- Research Proposal
- Academic Interests
- Transcript of Records
- Degree Certificates
- English Language IELTS
- CV maximum of two pages
- Two references
- Copy of Passport
The scholarship will be covering the student’s tuition fee and Stipend for the full duration of 3 and half years of the scholarship program.
Receive the Offer
The University of Sussex will notify the successful applicants for the place of offer. The awardee’s place will be confirmed once the offer has been accepted by the awardees. The recipient of the award must meet the condition of the offer and be able to submit additional information to the university.
Successful students can accept the offer using the application portal system provided by the university, which is required to provide the official result of the qualification that has been declared on the student’s application form. International students who need a students visa are required to submit the scholarship results and the University can issue the Confirmation Acceptance to Study in the United Kingdom.
The students must read and agree to the terms and conditions of the scholarship program.
The deadline to complete and submit the application is until April 18, 2022. The late application can be re-apply for the next scholarship application opening.