The Matsumae International Foundation invites international students in Ph.D. degrees to apply for The Matsumae International Foundation Research Fellowship Program for the academic year 2023-2024.
Fields of research such as natural science, engineering, and medicine are given first priority in many countries funding and support for research programs. This is because these fields are often seen as critical for addressing global challenges, improving the quality of life, and advancing technological development. The natural sciences involve the study of the physical world, including chemistry, physics, and biology. Engineering involves the design and development of new technologies, systems, and infrastructure. Medicine involves the study of the human body and the development of new treatments for diseases and illnesses. By prioritizing these fields, research funding agencies aim to support research that has the potential to make significant contributions to society and improve the world we live in.
Fellowship Provider: Matsumae International Foundation
About the Provider
The MIF, which was founded in 1979, has two primary objectives. Firstly, the organization aims to invite promising young researchers globally to conduct research at Japanese institutions. This initiative aims to cultivate the skills necessary for addressing challenges facing their respective countries. Secondly, the MIF endeavors in providing support activities that foster connections between Japan and the international community.
Inspired by the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation in Germany, the MIF is a privately-run organization that invites researchers from all over the world, regardless of their nationality, political affiliation, or religion. The MIF provides researchers with an opportunity to engage in research without any obligation, thus enabling them to focus on their work.
The Matsumae International Foundation (MIF) aims to promote academic development and international friendship by providing exceptional researchers from around the world with the opportunity to conduct research in Japan, regardless of their race, sex, religion, or ideology. The MIF seeks to nurture promising scholars and foster their abilities while supporting research activities that contribute to the advancement of academic knowledge. By offering this opportunity, the MIF strives to promote mutual understanding and goodwill among nations while promoting academic excellence in Japan.
The main purpose of the foundation is to provide the researchers the opportunity to prove their skills and knowledge to conduct a research plan and to achieve their professional and personal growth. MIF’s primary objective is by supporting the researchers who are passionate about solving the issues facing their home countries to learn from Japan’s wealth of scientific and technological knowledge. Through its research activities in Japan, MIF aims to cultivate and nurture the abilities of young researchers while fostering a deeper understanding of Japanese culture.
MIF strives to promote international collaboration and understanding and to develop a new generation of researchers who can lead the world toward a brighter future.
- Academic Year: 2023-2024
- Applicant’s Nationality: International
- Degree Level: Ph.D. Degree
- Fields: Engineering, Natural Science and Medicine
- Number of Awards: 10
- Scholarship Awards: Fully-funded
- Scholarship Country: Japan
- Renewable: Yes
- Offered Annually: Yes
Before proceeding with the application interested applicants must meet the eligibility requirements of the fellowship program.
- Applicants must have obtained an invitation (acceptance) letter from a host institution in Japan prior to application.
- Applicants must be 49 years old or younger at the time of application.
- The applicants must be holding a doctoral degree
- Must have good communication skills in oral and written English language or Japanese language.
- Applicants must not have prior or current experience staying in Japan (other than short-term stays such as sightseeing or conferences).
- Applicants must have an occupation in their home country and plan to return there after completing their fellowship tenure.
- The applicants must be able to contribute to the development of their home countries and return upon the completion of their fellowship in Japan.
Eligible Research Fields
The Doctoral Candidates must be in the field of the following research:
- Natural Science
Host Institution in Japan
- The Matsumae International Foundation (MIF) allows applicants to choose their own host institution in Japan, which could be a university, national research institution, or an equivalent facility. However, it is important to obtain a letter of acceptance from the chosen institution before submitting an application to MIF.
- It is important to note that the MIF does not provide advice or recommendations regarding host institutions in Japan. Applicants are expected to conduct their own research and select an institution that best suits their research interests and goals.
- By allowing applicants to choose their own host institution, the MIF provides flexibility and encourages applicants to take an active role in shaping their research experience in Japan. This approach allows for a more personalized and fulfilling research experience that can contribute to the applicant’s academic and professional development.
The application can be submitted to the foundation email [email protected]. The application form can be downloaded from the official website of the provider. Keep in mind that it is important to complete the required information at the application form.
- Applications are assessed by the MIF Screening Committee based on the academic value and completeness of the research projects.
- The announcement of the results will be made available on the MIF website in November 2023.
- Successful applicants will receive a grant letter from the MIF.
- The MIF adheres to a policy of not disclosing the content of Screening Committee discussions or accepting inquiries about individual applications.
- The MIF will not provide reasons for decisions made by the Screening Committee.
As part of the application process, the candidates must submit the following:
- Application form
- Research Plan
- List of publication
- Recommendation letter
- Academic Certificates or Diplomas
- Invitation letter
The fully-funded awards covered by the foundation are:
- Monthly allowance
- Arrival Funds
- Roundtrip Airfare
- Study tour
The deadline to complete and submit the application is until June 30, 2023.