The University of Antwerp at the department of Sociology is proud to announce the Doctoral Scholarship for both local and international students for the academic year of 2022-2023. The scholarship aims to provide assistance to deserving and outstanding students who are interested to apply for doctoral positions at the university.
The Department of Sociology Doctoral Scholarship
The university is seeking doctoral students in the sociology of health. You will be a member of a large FWO-SBO project (including two other doctoral projects in medicine (UAantwerpen) and health economics (UGent)), which aims to assess the impact of community health on the health workers to improve access to primary care for economically disadvantaged groups. This project emphasizes strong and effective research, which aims to ensure that their research is well adapted to the needs of society and knowledge and that the products are used to manufacture the whole field.
Despite the fact that Belgium has implemented several reforms to make primary health care (PHC) more affordable and accessible, inequalities in access to care are not decreasing, but increasing. . This creates a need for new measures to connect those with difficult access to primary health care, such as people living in socio-economically vulnerable situations, with the existing primary care system.
The project will use the potential of innovation from low and middle-income countries (LMIC) to design a new model. Inspired by community health worker (CHW) interventions in low- and middle-income countries (e.g., South Africa), this study will design and test a field-based primary health care model with a CHW intervention to address access to care problems in Flanders, Belgium. Through this work, the research team will work closely with honest stakeholders in society to combine scientific knowledge with implementation knowledge to optimize its impact on society.
Scholarship Provider: University of Antwerp
About the Provider
The University of Antwerp is the third largest university in Flanders with an enrollment of approximately 20,000 students. It is ranked #198 in the world according to Times Higher Education. As one of the major Belgian universities, their goal is to provide more opportunities not only for the local students but also the students globally to be part of the university and to enhance more knowledge and skills developments they will be needing for the advancement of their professional and personal goals.
If you choose to further your study at the University of Antwerp, you will receive a degree recognized by prestigious accreditation and ranked internationally., quality training, and personalized guidance from faculty and staff. The University of Antwerp is characterized by high academic standards, international research, and an entrepreneurial approach.
The Scholarship Doctorate Position
The successful students will work on the following:
- You are part of a research team. The team will carry out the following research activities: Plan and conduct qualitative research in South Africa and abroad, and analyze the qualitative data collected.
- You will help to develop the services of community health workers.
- Plan and conduct a qualitative study in Belgium and analyze the qualitative data collected with a randomized controlled trial to assess the impact of community health workers.
- You will publish research articles and present your work at scientific conferences related to your research.
- You will work with social media players to develop your research studies for real impact and social impact. Thus, you will contribute to the investment objectives of your research project.
- Work actively on the defense and preparation of your doctorate in the field of Sociology.
- Academic Year: 2022-2023
- Applicant’s Nationality: Local and International
- Degree Level: PhD
- Field: Sociology
- Number of Awards: NA
- Duration: One Year up to Four years.
- Scholarship Award: Tuition fee, transportation, and allowance
- Renewable: Yes
- Offered Annually: Yes
- Scholarship Country: Belgium
The University is looking for:
- The students who hold a Master’s degree in social sciences or public health, or will obtain it as soon as they start working.
- Have an interest in (good) scientific research.
- You are flexible, autonomous, and have excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- You take the initiative and take full responsibility.
- You are positive, honest, creative, and cooperative.
- Interested in traveling abroad for research.
- Motivated and able to work in a collaborative team.
- You have knowledge of written and oral skills in Dutch and English language, additional language is a bonus.
- Your research eligibility is based on faculty and university research policies.
- You act with efficiency, integrity, creativity, and collaboration.
How to apply
Interested and eligible students can access the application form through an online portal provided by the Univesity of Antwerp. You must complete the application form and follow the instructions on the portal to further the application process.
- Motivation Letter
The scholarship committee will be reviewing and evaluating all the applications after the deadline of submission. As soon as decisions have been made, the applicants will be notified of the next selection procedures.
The Univesity of Antwerp will be offering the following to the successful students:
- The university will be offering a Ph.D. scholarship for one year, after successful evaluation, the scholarship can be extended for a total of 4 years. The desired start date is January 1, 2023, or earlier as agreed with the research team.
- A monthly stipend is calculated as the amount of the Ph.D. scholarship within the salary range of the Research Personnel Contract (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- The recipient of the scholarship can get eco-vouchers and bike allowances, or get full reimbursement for public transport costs to and from work. Most of the work will be done at the City School, but weekly at the Drie Eiken School in a strong and stimulating work environment.
Successful students must agree to the term and conditions applied to the scholarship.
The deadline to complete and submit the application is until August 8, 2022.