The Brunei Darussalam Government is offering scholarships for South Africans to study full-time, on-campus diplomas, undergraduate degrees, and master’s programs starting in July to August 2022, at the following participating public Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in Brunei Darussalam.
Brunei is a tiny nation on the island of Borneo, in 2 distinct sections surrounded by Malaysia and the South China Sea. It’s known for its beaches and biodiverse rainforest, much of it protected within reserves. The capital, Bandar Seri Begawan, is home to the opulent Jame’Asr Hassanil Bolkiah mosque and its 29 golden domes. The capital’s massive Istana Nurul Iman palace is the residence of Brunei’s ruling sultan.
UBD currently offers five undergraduate degree programs:
- Bachelor of Business and Economic
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Health Science
- Bachelor of Arts and Social Science
- Bachelor of Engineering
- Citizens of, but not limited to the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), Commonwealth and Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) member countries (this includes South Africa)
- Applicants must be between the ages of 18-35 for Undergraduate and Diploma programs and younger than 35 for Master’s studies, by 31 July 2022
- Applicants must be in good health and have a strong academic record
- Applicants must apply for a police clearance certificate (at their own cost) certifying that they have no civil or criminal charges against them
Universiti Brunei Darussalam offers broad-based, learner-centric, and multidisciplinary degree programs which cater to unique individual learning styles. The university helps students to become ready to step outside of their comfort zone, also by helping the individual to take charge of their own lives and learning and be ready to embark on a life-changing experience.
Applicants have to apply to the university first as an undergraduate:
- Universiti Brunei Darussalam reserves the right to reject applications that are incomplete, received after the closing date, or contain false information.
- Only shortlisted/successful candidates will be contacted.
- Only qualifications from a University / Institution / Examination Board recognized by the University Senate will be considered.
- For entry to first degree programs, only Brunei-Cambridge GCE ‘A-Level qualifications or equivalent qualifications obtained in not more than 3 sittings will be considered, except for entry to first degree programs offered by the PAPRSB Institute of Medicine where qualifications obtained in not more than 2 sittings will be considered.
- Applicants with other equivalent qualifications such as Higher National Diploma (HND) may be considered subject to fulfilling the entry requirement set by the program they have applied for.
- General Paper and English as a Second Language will not be considered as Advanced Level subjects.
- The London GCE ‘O’ Level Malay will not be considered.
- Applicants who do not meet the normal entry requirements may be considered for admission to first degree programs as mature applicants subject to the requirements set by the University as set out below.
- Applicants must satisfy other requirements as set by faculties in University Brunei Darussalam from time to time.
How to Apply
South African applicants who meet the mentioned criteria should submit an application form with application documents to the Department of Higher Education and Training by email at: [email protected].
Applicants applying to University Brunei Darussalam must also complete an online application that is available on the university’s website.
All applicants must fill out everything.
- Fill in all the mandatory fields. The students will not be able to save or submit the application if they have missed any of them.
- Make sure to fill in the email address correctly.
- Electronic documents are required to be uploaded with the student’s application
- A certified true copy of Brunei identification card or international passport
- Certified true copies of relevant academic certificates (O Level, A-Level, HND, Bachelor Degree, etc), including university transcripts (where applicable) and English proficiency qualification (IELTS, TOEFL, BEC, etc)
- Click the submit button when the application is completed.
Reward – Extra Benefits
Tuition fees including acceptance, examination, registration, and orientation fees for the duration of the program:
- Economy class return air-ticket
- University accommodation
- Monthly Stipend: BND$500.00 (approximately R5600)
- Monthly meals allowance: BND$150.00 (approximately R1700)
- Annual book allowance: BND$600.00 (approximately R6700)
- Baggage allowance for shipment of the scholarship recipient’s personal belongings upon completion of the study program, at a maximum amount of BND$500.00 (approximately R5600)
- Medical insurance (Scholarship recipients are urged to obtain additional insurance prior to travel to Brunei Darussalam)
Successful candidates are required to make provision for all other expenses not covered under this scholarship.
Matter of fact, this scholarship is the perfect fit for students who are looking for scholarships that are right with their field study.
The official deadline date is February 10, 2022.
The deadline date is subject to change and even a change in qualifications. Students should check back frequently to the university’s website to see what new information is available.
Open Submission Window Time Frame
The open submission window time frame is from October of the previous year to the current February, for example from October 2021 – February 2022.
All students should follow the rules and guidelines that have been presented.
This is a once-a-year scholarship that awards students and picks the best qualifying applicants per year. Students are reminded that they cannot ask for an extension with this scholarship, since it is given by the government and there are strict rules to follow. All students should contact the informational e-mail that is provided on this page.