Train to become a surgical oncologist anywhere in the world by winning the ESSO Training Scholarships in Surgical Oncology in 2022.
The ESSO Education and Training Committee offers fellowship training in Surgical Oncology to young surgical oncologists from around the world at the host institute of their choice.
The fellowship is available for clinical training or research training. The internship period must occur within one year.
European applicants can choose to visit European or non-European units, while non-European applicants must choose to visit a European center.
The ESSO Education Committee offers several ESSO Training Scholarships to support students in Surgical Oncology.
- The objective is to allow young surgeons to visit a specialized center outside their own country, broaden their experience and learn new techniques.
- These scholarships are competitive and applicants require the support of the Head of their own department as well as the Head of the department they wish to visit.
About ESSO Surgical Oncology Training Scholarships
The ESSO Education Committee offers trainees in surgical oncology the chance to visit a specialist center outside their own country, helping them broaden their experience and learn new techniques.
The Education and Training Committee awards two types of scholarships each year:
- 8 Standard Training scholarships (value EUR 1,500): from 1 to 3 months
- 1 Major Classification training scholarship (value 6,000 EUR): from 4 to 12 months
The ETC reserves the right to split the main scholarship if 2 candidates are considered to be of equal merit.
The following applies to both types of scholarships:
- The internship period must occur within one year after the application deadline.
- The scholarship position must NOT be salaried.
- The fellowship must take place in a country other than the applicant’s current place of training.
All successful fellows are expected to write a report on their experience and provide a testimonial and photos for publication on the ESSO website within 3 months of the return of the fellowship.
Level/field of study
The fellowship is available for clinical or research training for young surgical oncologists at the institute of their choice. The scholarship is awarded in the field of Surgical Oncology.
European Society of Surgical Oncology, Belgium.
European applicants can choose to visit European or non-European units, while non-European applicants must choose to visit a European center. This means that this scholarship is for international students.
ESSO training scholarships are aimed at European and non-European citizens
The Education and Training Committee. grants two types of scholarships each year: up to 10 Standard Training Scholarships and 1 Greater Training Scholarships.
The internship period must occur within one year. The standard duration of the training scholarships is 1 to 3 months and 6 to 12 months for the main training scholarships.
The value of the standard training scholarships is €2,000 and €10,000 for the main training scholarships.
- Applicants must be specialists, trainees, or physicians with a stated intent to specialize in a surgical oncology subspecialty (breast, upper GI, hepatobiliary and pancreatic, colorectal, endocrine, head and neck, thoracic, skin cancer and melanoma, gynecology, urology, sarcoma).
- All applicants must be or become a member of ESSO prior to the award start date.
- An applicant must be under 40 years of age.
- Both European and non-European citizens can apply. European applicants can choose to visit European or non-European units, while non-European applicants must choose to visit a European center.
- Previous scholarship recipients will not be eligible to apply for a second award.
How to apply?
Submit your completed application form and all supporting documents by post or email (ana.galan-at-essoweb.org).
Applications must be submitted in English only and include the following information:
- A CV Including current and previous positions held (include dates from and to), relevant publications, and presentations to learned societies
- A motivation letter outlining the applicant’s area of interest, the research plan, and the reasons behind the visit.
- A letter of support from your Head of Department.
- A letter of invitation from the Head of the Department they wish to visit.
- A proposed budget sheet that estimates how the funds will be spent.
All documents must be sent to the ESSO Secretariat in a single PDF document. Application forms and guidelines can be downloaded from the official website.
It is important to read the application procedure and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Before you apply, please make sure you have already uploaded your CV to your profile.
Deadline for application
Applications are now open, please click the ‘apply now’ button at the bottom of this page. The application deadline is October 31st, 2022.
Click here to access the register of the host hospital/institutions/cancer centers.