This incredible and generous scholarship option is granted by both Saint John Paul II who was able to have the amount of $5 million donated and that donation was matched by The Papal Foundation. Luckily, over the years this opportunity has been able to grant around $12 million to allow individuals to learn, study, and take home their newfound education to help teach others in their communities.
Because this scholarship is dedicated to only one university where the scholarship will be accredited, students must only apply to that university. No other higher education can use this scholarship option.
A pontifical university means that it is a higher education institution that was granted, established, or directed by the Holy See. These universities deal solely with Christian revelation or related scriptures.
These higher education colleges do follow Europe’s traditional study hour calculation.
The Pontifical Universities in Rome consist of:
- Pontifical Gregorian University “Gregoriana” (Society of Jesus)
- Pontifical Lateran University “Lateranum” (Diocese of Rome)
- Pontifical Salesian University “Salesianum” (Salesians of Don Bosco)
- Pontifical University of the Holy Cross “Santa Croce” (Opus Dei)
- Pontifical University of St. Anthony “Antonianum” (Order of Friars Minor)
- Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas “Angelicum” (Order of Preachers)
- Pontifical Urban University “Urbaniana” (Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples)
There are more pontifical universities available in Rome.
- Interested students can only be nominated by either their local Major Superior or study at the Pontifical University in Rome.
- This is a religious scholarship which means students must be with their local church to be considered for this scholarship.
- This scholarship will be considered for either priest, seminarians, religious, or laity.
- Students who are chosen for this as a recipient will spend time learning in Rome and Vatican City about the Church’s Magisterium where they can return home to continue these teachings.
- Interested individuals must come from a disadvantaged country to be deemed eligible and applicable.
- Both men and women are eligible to apply for this incredible opportunity.
- Transcripts will be requested.
- Individuals who are nominated must be of the religious faith and teachings.
Transcripts will need to be sent in with the other official documents that are needed with the application form.
For obvious reasons the individual must be a great upstanding citizen in their local community. Along with working to help better the lives of their local neighbors.
How to Apply
Individuals who are interested are nominated, the individuals cannot simply apply. This nomination will be sent Vatican City. Recipients will hear of their approval soon after.
For first time individuals, they should contact their Apostolic Nunciature in the country that they are ordained. Afterwards, the Major Superior must provide a letter of recommendation on behalf of the student who is nominated.
This letter of recommendation must be in English is possible. If not, it may need to be translated.
The student awarded, needs to state that they intend to go back to their Diocese to teach.
The application that is given to the student by the Major Superior, needs to be sent to the Office of the Assessor of the Vatican Secretariat of State where the application will be reviewed.
Reward – Extra Benefits
Students will be able to study and receive accommodation free of charge with this scholarship.
Besides the €8,000 awarded, students can fill out another application tilted ‘renewal application’ to ask for more funding if the €8,000 is not enough.
Deadline Time Line
The official and only deadline date is March 1, 2023. There is no other deadline date and there is no reason to ask for an extension since this happens annually. That means if someone did not fir the qualifications, they can try again next year.
Students will hear if they are receiving this scholarship between June 1 – 15, 2023. If students do not hear back they may not have been eligible enough or should contact the email address listed in the contact section to inquire.
Open Submissions Window Time Frame
Sending before or having the stamp date before March 1, 2023 is the best option. Any time before the deadline official date means that the student sent in their application and it will be reviewed. If the application is received after March 1, 2023 the application will be ignored or returned.
Annual or Renewable Scholarship Options
This is an annual scholarship option that cannot be renewed because it is a one time scholarship for students.
Here at Pick a Scholarship we offer a full range scholarship database for all students looking for varying degree levels. While we provide exact information for each scholarship application and when the deadlines/open submission windows are held. We offer a contact section on each post where the admissions of the university or the director of a private sponsor can be reached to give more information or details.
All applicants should consult the e-mail address if a question has not been answered. Beforehand to check the university ‘FAQs’ page to see if anything can be answered right away.
All students should check with the university website about any delays or changes to the open submission window or deadline time frame. This is the best way to see if anything needs to reviewed or changed before submitting their application.
Any student that is unsure about the rules and guidelines that are meant to be followed by the recipient should consult the website link provided. Anyone looking for more information that is not found on the website should contact the email address.