This scholarships is made possible from the Armenian Communities Department of the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation. This foundation is currently awarding a short term scholarship/grant to exceptional students, who exceed within their academic studies and profound researchers in Armenian Studies. This scholarship will allow the chosen recipents to participate in activities that surround their Armenian Studies, encouraging leadership interaction and academic knowledge and moving ideas.
Back in the 1950’s, the Department for the Middle East, ended up renaming their sector The Armenian Communities department instead. This name change came about from Calouste Gulbenkian’s will. Two exective names on that will where Kevork Essayan, Gulbenkian’s son-in-law, and José de Azeredo Perdigao. The latter happens to be the chairman of The Armenian Communities Foundation.
While anyone in charge of the Armenian Communities department has always come from an Armenian line or has been Armenian themselves. Or also a member from the original man’s family lineage. Currently the latest individual incharge is part of the original family line and has given his complete trust, since he is a trustee of the foundation and as well as promoting incredible lengths in educational stride.
Listed are a few important dates to remember for this incredible foundation:
- In the 1950’s the scholarship program was created and founded. Since the beginning this program has helped and honored tens of thousands of armerian students worldwide.
- It wouldn’t be until the 1960s were a program was created to allow Armenian schools to reach studnets who could not previously attend. This helped to build mulitple schools in the Middle East. Continuing for years and years, many students where able to find solace and community. 1959/60 the “Free Bursaries” programme was established to help students attend Armenian schools around the world, particularly in the Middle East. Thousands of children benefitted from the scheme which continued for decades. Schools were built in the Middle East, Turkey, Argentina and Uruguay. Supporting education for Armenian schools is the number one rule of action for this foundation and continues to be so.
- In the later 1950s the first book in the Armenian and Armenian studies publications recieved the green light to become sold and printed.
- During the 1990s, incredible and vast amounts of reconstruction for all Armenian schools, after the war, continued and saw not only rebuilding but new schools being built. This is a continued effort till this very day.
- It wuoldn’t be until the early 2000s when one of thee most cherished Armenian libraries would be givne funds to restructure the 1930s majestic wonder. Till this day the library is available for all Armenian students to access.
- Within the last 10 years, a fantastic new program called the Five Year Program was founded. This Five Year Program was created to help Western Armenian, to help with any changes in the educational reform, provide and save the Armenian-Turkish dialogue, prompt and fund multiple new scholarship, grants, busaries, and provide adeqaute amounts of free subscription electronic publications.
- First and foremost, this scholarship is for Armenian students only.
- To be considered an applicant for this scholarship, a student must select one of the scholarship programs available. If a student tries to select a program that is not available under this short term scholarship, they cannot enter this award.
- Any canidate must submit their transcript which details their grades to the most current semester or year. The website link provided on this page has the detailed instructoins about how to follow the grading scale to see if a student is deemed qualified.
- All applicants will need to present and write a motivation letter. This is a letter that describes why the student feels that are a perfect potential reciepnt for this short term scholarship.
Only online applications are accepted. This means e-mail and post are not accepted and no exceptions will be made on the student’s behalf if they submit through e-mail or post, the application will be ignored.
A letter of recommendation is required, however, this council is leaving that up to the student’s own opnion of what professor or teacher should write the recommendation. Although first rule, when it comes to a letter of recommendation no family, friends, or work colleague can write it.
How to Apply
When applying applicants will see that they must write a research propsal as part of the application process. There are strict instructions based on how this research paper will need to be written. For example the maximum amount of pages allowed is 5. Along with instruction for the line spacing to be 1.5 and the font at an exact 12.
When a canidate submits their letter of recommendation, the recommedation must be submitted by the individual who has written it, not the student themselves. There is a separate email address the individual will need to use to send that letter of recommednation too.
Secondly, students will need to create an online portfolio through the website provided, students will need to create a login and password. Through the website scholarship portal, this is where students will submit their online scholarship application. Students will onyl receive a confirmation notice one the open window tab that they are currently using that their application has been submitted.
Reward – Extra Benefits
The total amount reward for this short term scholarship is 5,000 euros. An added extra benefit is that students can reapply or renew this scholarships each year they attend college.
The official deadline date is May 6, 2022 and the opening submission date has not begun as of yet.
All possible students and applicants should always check the website to ensure that the deadline date has not changed, become delayed or cancelled altogether.
Open Window Submission Time Frame
The open window submission time is officially now, March 22, 2022. The complete open time frame is from March 22, 2022 to May 6, 2022. This is a general 2 month open window to submit an application.
All possible students and applicants should always check the website to ensure that the open window submission time frame date has not changed, become delayed or cancelled altogether.
This is an annual scholarship that happens once per year. There are ways for students to receive a renewal for this short term scholarship/grant. Studens should check the website to find out more.