Planning your finances as you prepare for higher education is an important start-up, getting financial support is important to start the academic journey.
For the academic year of 2022-2023, the European University Institute in Italy offers the Fernand Braudel Senior Fellowships for International students.
Annually, approximately 150 new Ph.D. students begin research-intensive Ph.D. programs in the university faculties of Economics, Historical and Civilization Studies, Law, and Political Science and Social Sciences. Europian University Institute also hosts the Robert Schuman Center for Advanced Study (RSC), which was founded in 1992 to conduct research on Europe’s most pressing issues and to connect academics and practice through interdisciplinary research.
Fernand Brodel’s Senior Fellowships offer a framework for established students with an international reputation to continue their research at EUI. The scholarship lasts for up to ten months in one of the four European University Institute’s departments, which in turn invites you to participate in departmental activities (seminars, workshops, colloquiums, etc.).
Scholarship recipients are encouraged to work with researchers who share similar academic interests, may be involved in the teaching and supervision of EUI faculty dissertations, and may be involved in any research project undertaken at EUI.
The department area will be in the field of Economics, History, Law, Political and Social Science, and Civilization.
Scholarship Provider: European University Institute
About the Provider
Founded in 1972, the European University Institute is an international institution for postdoctoral and postdoctoral training and research established by the Member States of the European Union to contribute to the cultural and scientific development of the social sciences from a European perspective. EUI is defined as an international organization.
The Center for Social Sciences and Humanities links academic achievement and research capacity across Europe to the world of policy and practice to improve society. Through teaching at the highest university level, interdisciplinary research on important social challenges, and stable intellectual discourse and debate, they contribute to the cultural and scientific development of Europe. The university seeks to nurture high-level scientists and policymakers who shape social progress and advance the European spirit.
Their values are united in pluralism, grounded in the freedom for5 the academic and rigor, driven by intellectual challenges and curiosity, and enriched through an open mind and multidisciplinary way of thinking.
The European University Institute maintains its connections with many institutions in the contracting states and around the world. These relationships encourage joint research, joint initiatives, and dialogue and knowledge transfer for educational and scientific purposes with the communities locally or internationally. They also facilitate the student exchange, research, faculty, and staff and provide internship opportunities for master’s and Ph.D. students.
- Academic Year: 2022-2023
- Applicant’s Nationality: International
- Degree Level: PhD
- Field: Economics, Law, Civilization, History, Political Science, Social Science
- Number of Awards: NA
- Duration: 10 Months
- Scholarship Awards: € 3,000
- Scholarship Type: Fellowship
- Scholarship Country: Italy
- Renewable: No
- Offered Annually: Yes
Before proceeding with the application, the applicants must meet the eligibility of the scholarship.
- All nationalities are encouraged to apply.
- Established students with an international reputation to continue their research at EUI, former professors.
- Good communication skills in English and any other relevant language for the proposed research.
The application process consists of two phases:
1. Registering the application
2. Submission of the application on time
Once the applicants have registered their application, they can continue working on the details and attachments until the application deadline. Do not submit the application until you have filled in all the information correctly and have successfully uploaded the final version of the attachment.
Once submitted, it is no longer possible to update or modify your application.
- Create your CV (short CV of up to 5 pages, including education, work experience, awards, and other achievements) with a list of preferred publications (list of your books, contributions to books, and important professional journals) in PDF format.
- Prepare a research proposal (2-4 pages) in PDF format
Use international standard fonts and avoid password-protected macros, special characters, and attachments.
- Letter of recommendation
EUI does not require a letter of reference at this stage, but applicants are asked to provide the names and contact details of at least two referees that the university can contact for the evaluation of the application.
The applicants will be evaluated and selected by the faculty staff in the relevant departments. The final decisions will be made by the Executive Committees. The executive decision is final and cannot be appealed.
Fellowship Awards and Condition
- The scholarship will be in at least ten months. Applicants must indicate the expected length of stay in their application, however, the host faculty may propose a different and/or shorter length of stay to successful applicants with available funds. As a rule, no scholarships are awarded for the months of July and August. Fellows must reside in Florence for the duration of the fellowship in order to actively participate in the academic activities of the department.
- €3,000 monthly stipend and the scholarship amount for successful applicants whose normal residence is within a radius of 90 km from Florence will be set at a lower rate. Scholarships are not taxed by the university. However, scholarship holders are required to comply with the tax regulations that apply to them.
Keep in mind that the university will not provide the travel expenses and other related expenses during the research period of the successful applicants. The fellows are required to have adequate medical insurance during the fellowship period.
The deadline to complete and submit the application for the Fernand Braudel Fellowship is until September 3, 2022.
The European University Institute encourages interested students to start and prepare their applications early, late and incomplete applications will be automatically rejected and will not be evaluated.