The Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência (IGC) is pleased to announce the availability of a prestigious Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (BI-PD) within an exciting project titled “A systems-biology approach to identify Toxoplasma effectors that co-opt host cell transcription and their function in immune system suppression.” This project numbered 223192/A/21/Z, is generously funded by The Wellcome Trust Investigator Award in Science.
The IGC, renowned for its commitment to scientific excellence and interdisciplinary research, provides an ideal environment for ambitious researchers to pursue cutting-edge investigations. This particular postdoctoral position seeks to attract exceptional candidates who possess a deep passion for unraveling the intricacies of host-pathogen interactions and possess a strong background in systems biology.
The selected Postdoctoral Research Fellow will have the invaluable opportunity to work alongside a team of esteemed scientists and collaborate on a project aimed at understanding the mechanisms employed by Toxoplasma effectors to manipulate host cell transcription, with a specific focus on their role in immune system suppression. Through a comprehensive systems-biology approach, the project aims to identify and analyze these effectors, shedding light on their functions and potentially uncovering novel targets for therapeutic intervention.
The program offers a competitive salary and an intellectually stimulating research environment that fosters creativity, critical thinking, and collaboration. The successful candidate will have access to state-of-the-art facilities, cutting-edge technologies, and a vibrant scientific community dedicated to pushing the boundaries of knowledge. If you are an ambitious postdoctoral researcher with a fervent interest in host-pathogen interactions and a drive to make groundbreaking discoveries, we invite you to seize this extraordinary opportunity and join us at the forefront of scientific innovation.
Scholarship Provider: The Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência (IGC)
About the Provider
Founded in 1961, the IGC has established itself as a renowned center for biological research and innovation. Its commitment to pushing the frontiers of knowledge is evident in the diverse array of research conducted within its hallowed halls. From unraveling the intricacies of genetics and evolution to investigating the complexities of cellular mechanisms, the IGC encompasses a broad spectrum of scientific disciplines.
The Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência (IGC) stands as an illustrious institution that encapsulates the pursuit of scientific excellence and fosters a vibrant community of researchers and scholars. Nestled in the scenic outskirts of Oeiras, Portugal, the IGC emanates an aura of intellectual curiosity and discovery. What sets the IGC apart is its unwavering dedication to interdisciplinary collaboration. The institute thrives on the synergistic interplay between various scientific fields, fostering an environment where ideas converge and boundaries blur. Researchers hailing from different backgrounds and expertise come together, united by a common passion for unraveling the mysteries of life.
As an institution that embodies the spirit of scientific exploration and collaboration, the Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência continues to be at the forefront of cutting-edge research, forging a path toward a deeper understanding of the world around us. With each discovery, the IGC cements its legacy as a beacon of scientific excellence, inspiring generations to come to embrace the pursuit of knowledge and the boundless possibilities it holds.
- Applicant’s Nationality: Portuguese
- Degree Level: Postdoctoral
- Field: Biology
- Duration: Up to three years
- Number of awards: NA
- Scholarship Country: Portugal
- Scholarship Awards: Monthly Stipend
- Renewable: Yes
- Offered Annually: Yes
Academic Profile and Admission Requirements:
- A recent Ph.D. (< 3 years) in life sciences is essential.
- Experience in innate immunology biology, cell biology/transcriptional control, biochemistry, and genetic modifications of mammalian cells is desired.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Applicants must submit a specific cover letter explaining their interest in the project, the strengths they bring, and the areas they would like to develop.
- Must have good verbal and written communication skills in English.
Recognition of Foreign Qualifications:
- If the qualification is from a foreign higher education institution, it must be recognized by a Portuguese higher education institution according to the provisions of article 25.º of Decree-Law n.º 66/2018.
- The necessary formalities for recognition must be fulfilled before the hiring act.
- The jury may invite the candidate ranked immediately after if the first-ranked candidate’s academic degree is not recognized after fulfilling the required formalities.
Obligations for Portuguese Taxpayers:
- Portuguese taxpayers must provide evidence of fulfilling their individual obligations towards the Portuguese Tax Authority and Social Security.
- Non-compliance with this requirement may lead to exclusion from the recruitment process.
Applicable Legislation and Regulation:
- All candidates must adhere to the IGC Research Fellowship Regulation.
- Research Fellowship Statutes amended by Decree nº 123/2019 of August 28th, as well as FCT Legislation and Regulations for Fellowships, apply.
- Decree-Law n.º 66/2018 of August 16th, which governs the recognition of academic degrees and diplomas awarded by foreign higher education institutions, is also applicable.
To submit applications for the position, please follow the instructions below:
- Prepare a single PDF file named “Applicant Name_BI-PD_223192/A/21/Z.pdf” that includes the following documents: a. Motivation Letter (maximum 1 page) b. Curriculum Vitae c. Doctoral certificate and Summary of research achievements (maximum 1 page) d. Contact details of 3 references (including name, email, and phone number) e. Any other relevant documents for the evaluation of your application.
- Send the PDF file to [email protected].
- Use the subject line “Applicant Name_BI-PD_223192/A/21/Z” in your email to ensure that your application is properly identified.
It is important to follow the application procedure to be considered.
- Curriculum and previous experience: 60% weightage.
- Motivation letter: 20% weightage.
- Consultation of references nominated by candidates, if necessary: 10% weightage.
- In case of a tie, candidates will be interviewed focusing on their research outcomes: 10% weightage.
The selection panel members will make a decision by a nominal vote, considering eligibility and selection criteria.
The monthly stipend for this position is €2,200. The payment will be made through bank transfer. Additionally, the selected candidate may be reimbursed for the contribution to Voluntary Social Security.
The deadline to complete and submit the application is until June 8, 2023.