For the academic year of 2022-2023, the Gerda Henkel Foundation offers the Ph.D. Scholarships in Germany are intended to encourage international students who can demonstrate their academic achievements and motivation to further their research and are expected to progress towards their educational journey.
In accordance with one of the wishes of the founders, the Gerda Henkel Foundation focuses primarily on supporting future Ph.D. students. When approving grants, special attention is paid to the fact that qualified young researchers of both genders can carry out scientific work and improve their academic education for a limited period of time.
The program seeks to develop the foundation’s highly qualified academic students. Only those candidates whose academic results and examination indicate that they are more competent and the Ph.D. thesis is expected to yield above-average results. Currently, about 50 scholarships are awarded each year.
The validity period is up to two years. Where applicable, the scholarship may be extended for up to 12 months if the extension is requested before the end of the second budget year.
Scholarship Provider: The Gerda Henkel Foundation
About the Provider
The Gerda Henkel Foundation was founded in June 1976 by Lisa Maskell in memory of her mother, Gerda Henkel, as a Düsseldorf-based public law firm.
The Gerda Henkel Foundation financially supports human history. Research studies that explore current issues in broader or more historical contexts focusing on topics related to current or future events are supported by these approaches in terms such as “independence”, “forced resettlement” and the “lost cities”. As part of the Lisa Maskell Fellowship Program, the Foundation supports young researchers in Africa and Southeast Asia, particularly in crisis areas. In terms of financial planning, the Department also provides support for social support in the context of related activities. The Gerda Henkel Foundation may pursue its goals in Germany and abroad in accordance with its policy.
- Academic Year: 2022-2023
- Applicant’s Nationality: International
- Degree Level: PhD
- Field: Archeology, History of Arts, Islamic Studies, History, Science, Law, and Pre and Early History
- Number of Awards: 50
- Duration: Up to two years
- Scholarship Country: Germany
- Renewable: Yes
- Offered Annually: Yes
The applicants must meet the preconditions below:
- The candidates must not be 28 years older or above at the time of application.
- The students must be enrolled in a Ph.D. degree coursework at the University.
- If the candidate is 25 years old at the time of graduation, he can still apply for a doctorate through the Department. This age limit has been extended to include night school, child care, military service, labor, and other specialties.
- Must have an overall grade of 1.5 or above is equivalent to the Masters and German State Examinations.
- The interested applicants can apply on a digital form provided by the foundations.
- The application can be completed in an English or German language.
- The scholarship will be awarded independently of the successful student’s nationality or current location.
- The application has no deadline and can be submitted anytime.
- The application form must be completed in full and can be saved anytime. Using the registered personal link, the applicants can return and edit the form in ten days period only.
- Once the form has been completed, the applicants will receive a summary of the application which must be completed in order to fully send the form to the foundation.
- The transmission process of the data will be electronically sent to the foundation and the application will be receiving a confirmation receipt on the registered email address.
Required documents are necessary to submit along with the application form, the documents can be attached to the digital platform provided by the foundation. The following documents must be submitted in either German or English language only.
- Research Proposal Description maximum of 8 pages, in addition to the 8 pages a bibliography must be included, with an 11 font size and line spacing of 1.5, it is important that the font must be readable for example using Arial 11 pt. or Times New Roman at 12 pt.
- Plan work and time schedule (up to 2 pages) with travel information for archives, libraries, museums, or other places where documents are needed to complete the thesis
- Detailed cost estimates (estimates where applicable) of estimated travel and equipment costs
- The references from the university led to the doctorate. (usually certificate holder, for Ph.D. directly: conference attendee certificate, please do not submit Bachelor’s degree certificate)
- Two professional advisors provide information on candidate eligibility and the benefits of their doctoral programs.
Application Important Note
- Incomplete or oversized applications will not be considered. The same applies to applications that do not need to be submitted.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered after one year.
- Proof of enrollment is not required.
- The application will be acknowledged once submitted, and the foundation must not be contacted on their phone regarding the scholarship application status.
- Keep in mind that applications do not require any additional documents sent through email or in the postal mail.
- The Foundation does not award scholarships to Ph.D. graduates. project. Final scholarships are applications for scholarships and/or scholarships within 12 months of other scholarships over 12 months and grants from the other sponsors or university.
The foundation will be providing a monthly allowance of €1,600
The foundation scholarship holder for the doctorate with children will receive a monthly child allowance as well as a stipend. Family benefits from the presentation of a birth certificate for the child and are paid for children under 18 years of age.
• 1 child:€400
• €100 for each additional child
Monthly scholarship for the international scholarship: €400
Travel assistance and material assistance will be assisted if needed.
Scholarship Application Deadline
The Ph.D. scholarships are awarded annually, and the scholarships are awarded four times a year. The completed application review and approval process are usually completed within six months.
All complete applications will be evaluated and reviewed by the foundation committee. Keep in mind that the foundation will not accept any calls regarding the application for the scholarship, however, the successful students will be notified through their registered email or contact information.