To award the high-achieving Afghanistan Students, the German Academic Exchange Service- DAAD in Germany offers the Bridge Scholarship for the academic year of 2022-2023. The scholarship program aims to support the outstanding Afghanistan students in their research to commence their undergraduate or postgraduate education at a state of the art-recognized higher education provider in Germany.
In addition, the scholarship is intended to support the implementation of a research project as part of a Ph.D. or post Ph.D. program at a state university or state-recognized university or research institute in Germany. Scholarships are used for initial orientation throughout the higher education sector upon arrival of Afghans in Germany.
Scholarship Provider: German Academic Exchange Service- DAAD
About the Provider
Founded in 1925, the German Academic Exchange Services is the largest German funding organization in the field of international education cooperatives. The DAAD is a private, state-funded, federally funded, and self-governing national higher education institution in Germany.
German Academic Exchange Services DAAD also offers personal liability insurance, and health and accident insurance. Depending on the scholarship program, further benefits include a one-time research grant, family allowance, or language course allowance. The DAAD Scholarships for International Students is one of the best scholarships in the world and the most prestigious and competitive scholarship program globally.
- Academic Year: 2022-2023
- Applicant’s Nationality: Afghanistan
- Degree Level: Undergraduate, Master, and Ph.D. degree
- Field: Any eligible courses from the accredited university in Germany
- Number of Awards: NA
- Duration: Maximum of six months.
- Scholarship Benefits: €1,200
- Scholarship Country: Germany
- Renewable: Yes
- Offered Annually: Yes
- Afghanistan citizen
- Undergraduate, graduate, and Ph.D. Degree candidates and postdoctoral researchers are welcome to apply for the scholarship.
- Enrolled in an undergraduate degree or postgraduate degree students.
- The students must submit an admission letter by the application deadline for the scholarship or have been accepted for a Ph.D. degree or postdoctoral research in any of the accredited universities or institutions in Germany.
- Must be able to submit a confirmation letter or an invitation letter until the deadline of the application.
- Who are normally already in Germany with a valid residence permit at the time of the application deadline
- Who are not normally in Germany for more than 15 months at the time of the application deadline
The selection committee will be assigned to the selection of the candidates and appointed by section ST33.
- Student’s academic qualifications and achievements.
- The quality of the research project or study project.
- Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees (proven by a certificate of registration) (if available), proof of previous academic achievement (transcript of record), or certificate of admission and language.
- Doctoral and postdoctoral phases (documented with acceptance as a (post)doctoral student (if any) and letters of recommendation or confirmation of supervision or invitation letters, research proposals and schedules)
- Personal motivation
In addition, to be able to ensure the opportunities, the selection committee will take into consideration the applicant’s life circumstances, about how the candidates provide certain information on their application forms.
- Must be students who are 18 years old at least at the time of the application.
- As a rule, the student’s last degree should not be more than 6 years before the application deadline.
- The application cannot be considered if you have lived in Germany for more than 15 months before the application deadline. This does not rule out applications from Afghans who have stayed longer in Germany after completing their first degree or something similar.
As part of the application, the following documents must be able to upload in an online portal provided by the university.
- Completed online application form
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of professional and personal reasons for the planned training or research project in Germany (cover letter; 1 – 3 pages). Please also describe your current personal risk situation and possible future prospects in Germany through the scholarship.
- A valid Afghan identity card together with a valid residence permit in Germany. Please upload it under “Other” on the DAAD application portal. If the validity period of the identity document has expired, the application must include a written reason why a valid document cannot be presented.
- Confirmation that the applicants don’t have dual citizenship.
In addition to the application procedure, the undergraduate degree who are studying in a preparatory college or full-time course or wish to study in the future:
- A certificate of current enrollment (if available) or alternatively a letter of acceptance to the degree program, which may be submitted by the application deadline if it is not already available at the time of application.
- Transcript of current records with individual grades (if available)
- School graduation certificate with all individual grades, including an explanation of the evaluation system (please upload it on the portal under “university entry qualifications”). School leave certificates must be submitted prior to the start of the scholarship-supported course of study if schooling has not been completed at the time of application.
- If you are not already registered: certificate of language or proof of study or research language of the desired degree program or research project.
The Master’s Degree and Ph.D. degree will have additional requirements which details are available on the official website of the scholarship provider.
The language of instruction in the German curriculum in German and in international courses English or German.
When applying for admission and thus starting a scholarship, you will usually have to submit proof of language proficiency (e.g. DSH or TestDaF if German is the language of instruction, e.g. TOEFL or IELTS if English is the language of instruction). You should contact the university of your choice in a timely manner for information on this subject.
Therefore, in your scholarship application, you must provide evidence of your current knowledge of the language of instruction (German and English) for your chosen course of study. Please inquire at the respective university whether the required language skills must be proven by application for admission to the desired course of study.
The scholarship fund value includes the following, depending on the successful student’s academic level and monthly payment:
- €861 for the undergraduate degree and Masters’s degree
- €1,200 for the Ph.D. and postdoctoral researchers
- Students’ health, personal liability, and accident insurance coverage.
- Monthly rent allowance
- Monthly stipend allowance
The deadline to complete and submit the application will be open until further notice for the academic year of 2022-2023.