Ph.D. scholarships for Chileans abroad.
The Chile ANID – DAAD Ph.D. scholarships aim to increase study and improvement opportunities abroad for postgraduate students and strengthen international links with educational and research institutions of excellence. To this end, the Human Capital Subdirectorate of the National Research and Development Agency (ANID) has the mission of contributing to the increase in the number of researchers, which allows Chile to insert itself into the knowledge society, thus giving a definitive boost to economic development. , social and cultural of our country.
The National Research and Development Agency (ANID), within the framework of the Advanced Human Capital Training agreement signed with the German Academic Exchange Service-DAAD, calls for a competition to award scholarships -hereinafter referred to as DOCTORAL SCHOLARSHIPS WITH AGREEMENT BILATERAL ABROAD ANID-DAAD,
Student Grant 2022 – to Chileans to
start studies leading to obtaining the academic degree of Doctor in the Universities and Research Centers of excellence in Germany.
This scholarship has the objective of forming advanced human capital, so that the graduates, upon their return to Chile, apply the knowledge acquired and contribute to the scientific, academic, economic, social, and cultural development of the country.
CONDITIONS, GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS, AND DURATION OF THE SCHOLARSHIP.
1. The applicants, for the selection of the scholarship granted by the ANID, must have the sponsorship of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
2. The benefits conferred by the DAAD will be conditioned to the granting of the scholarship by the ANID , which is why the sponsorship of the DAAD will have no effect if the applicant is not selected by the ANID.
3. At the time of applying to the DAAD, applicants must be unconditionally accepted for a doctorate at a German university or research center of excellence, which they must prove by presenting a letter of acceptance, where the applicant is identified. , issued by a competent authority of the German university or research center of excellence. or, by the professor who accepts to be the tutor of the applicant (see numeral 5.1.4). A conditional letter will only be admissible for the following reasons:
3.1. Conditionality is subject to the improvement of the level of German, French, or English language presented by the applicant. In accordance with the CHILE Scholarship regulations, ANID will not finance any cost related to language requirements that are not strictly necessary for the development of the doctorate.
3.2. Conditionality is subject to the financing that the applicant will require to complete the study program.
3.3. Conditionality subject to obtaining the academic degree of master’s degree.
4. In the case of structured doctoral programs, applicants may submit an admission certificate or, at least, a document that proves that their admission will be considered.
5. When the Doctorate program contains as a requirement the prior completion of a Master’s degree within it, the sum of the delivery periods of benefits between the Master’s and Doctorate programs may not exceed FOUR (4) years counted from the date of admission of the applicant to the first program.
6. Once the sponsorship has been obtained, the DAAD will send the background of the interested party to the ANID, to verify if the application complies with the presentation of all the requested documentation, the conditions, and requirements established in these bases for the granting of the scholarship, that is, the ANID will verify that the sponsored applicant meets the requirements established in the bases and that they do not have any incompatibility to be a beneficiary.
7. The applicant must, through a simple statement delivered at the time of application to the DAAD, authorize the sending of their records to the ANID.
8. The contest is intended to grant up to a maximum of 20 scholarships to Chileans to begin studies leading to obtaining the academic degree of Doctor at universities or research centers of excellence in Germany. There will be a waiting list, which will follow the procedure described in number 11.9.
9. The duration of the benefits of the Doctorate scholarship will be annual, renewable up to a maximum of FOUR (4) years counted from the admission of the scholarship recipient to the study program and subject to academic performance and results. obtained by him/her.
10. If after the award and/or signing of the scholarship agreement, it is detected that the postgraduate studies of a selected person will be carried out in Chile (in whole or in part), or that they will not be carried out continuous, daytime, face-to-face and full-time in Germany, the ANID will proceed to declare without affecting the award of the scholarship or its early termination. Notwithstanding the foregoing, fellows may carry out fieldwork in any country in the world, including Chile, which may only be carried out with the corresponding support from the tutor.
11. It is the sole responsibility of the selected candidate to comply with the deadlines and requirements established by each university and/or research center in Germany. It is the obligation of the applicant to know the requirements for obtaining the visa as well as the immigration laws of Germany.
12. Once selected, exceptionally, the ANID may authorize the program and/or university to be replaced, once and before the signing of the agreement, as long as the selected person is authorized by the German Academic Exchange Service – DAAD, who will give a reasoned decision on the preference substitution request.
13. The benefits of the scholarship will accrue from the date of award of the contest or the date indicated in the scholarship agreement if the date of commencement of studies is after the award. The benefits will be paid once the resolution approving the aforementioned agreement is fully processed.
14. The total term of the scholarship may not exceed FOUR (4) years, counted from the admission of the scholarship recipient to the Doctorate program. The benefits of the scholarship will be valid until that term or until the date of the degree exam or equivalent instance depending on the milestone that occurs first. Scholarship recipients must inform the ANID in writing of the date of taking the degree exam or equivalent instance and accredit it by means of a document issued by the university. In the event that the scholarship recipient receives benefits after the date of taking the grade exam or equivalent instance, she must return said funds to the ANID under the conditions established by this Service.
15. Those who are awarded the scholarship must start doctoral studies, on the dates established in these bases (number 16.3), a situation that must be accredited at the time of signing the agreement, in accordance with the provisions of number 12.5.
16. The applicants, whose Doctorate programs are carried out in German, English or French, must accredit their level of language through the current tests and/or certificates indicated in Annex No. II of these contest rules.
17. Once the application has been received, no modifications may be made or new information and/or documents incorporated by the applicant.
18. ANID will not return the records received by the DAAD.
19. Applicants must be in a position to present all the background and information that the ANID deems necessary during the application process, signing of the agreement, as well as during the period in which the benefits of the scholarship are being received.
20. Failure to comply with the conditions established in these rules for the granting of the scholarship will be considered grounds for the application to be declared out of the rules or the scholarship to be rendered ineffective or its early termination declared.
What benefits do the Chile ANID – DAAD PhD Scholarships offer?
1. Monthly maintenance allowances will be granted from the day the scholarship begins and will be paid until the day it ends so that for the first and last month allowances will only be paid in proportion to the days that correspond. The foregoing will not apply to the other assignments, which will be paid in full, which in any case will only correspond while the scholarship is valid.
2. The scholarship holders must comply with the mechanisms stipulated by the ANID to make effective the payment of the benefits associated with the scholarship. This includes the obligation on the part of the scholarship recipients to send the ANID the information of a single-person bank account in the name of the scholarship recipient, in Chile or abroad.
BENEFITS GRANTED BY THE ANID
a. A one-way ticket, in economy class, from the closest airport to the city of residence of the beneficiary in Chile to the city where the beneficiary begins his/her study program in Germany, and a ticket to return to Chile, in economy class at the end of the study program, both for the scholarship recipient, their spouse or civil partner and children, when applicable, and in accordance with the legal provisions on migration in Germany.
b. The delivery of the one-way ticket will not correspond in the event that the scholarship recipient, or their family, has or has received it due to the language leveling benefit indicated in Annex No. II or has residence abroad before the contest award.
c. A sum equivalent to the cost of tuition and registration for the study program, if applicable, once the reductions or discounts obtained by the advanced human capital formation agreement between the National Research and Development Agency – ANID and the German Exchange Service have been considered. Academic – DAAD. Only the costs directly related to the study program and that are mandatory for their completion will be paid for this concept, excluding any payment for services of another nature provided by the university, such as medical insurance, nursery, sports activities, among others.
d. One-time installation allowance corresponding to US $500 (five hundred US dollars) for those who start their post-award program. The delivery of this benefit will not correspond in the event that the scholarship recipient is in the destination country taking a language leveling course or has residence abroad before the award of the contest.
and. Annual allowance for the purchase of books and/or materials of US $300 (three hundred American dollars).
F. Monthly maintenance allowance for the scholarship recipient during the effective duration of the doctoral study program, corresponding to Germany, annually renewable up to a maximum of four years counted from the scholarship recipient’s entry into the study program. The amounts of maintenance allowances are established in Annex I of these bases. This allocation will be proportional to the duration of the scholarship, that is, the scholarship holders will receive their maintenance for the days in which they actually carried out their doctoral studies financed with the scholarship.
g. Monthly maintenance allowance for the spouse or civil partner, established in Annex I of these bases, for the time that the scholarship recipient declares her company. In the event that both spouses or civil partners hold the status of scholarship holders, this benefit will be lost. In the event that the scholarship recipient marries or enters into a civil union agreement after the award of the scholarship, or his/her spouse or civil partner obtains a Chile Scholarship, he/she must report said situation to the ANID with in order to assess whether the conditions required in this number to receive the benefit are met. This assignment will be conferred in the manner that is granted to the scholarship recipient, according to numeral 3.5, and for the time that he/she declares the company of the scholarship recipient with the spouse or civil partner.
h. Monthly maintenance allowance for each child under 18 years of age, established in Annex I of these bases, for the time that the child declares his/her company. In the event that both parents hold the status of scholarship holders, only one of them will receive this allowance. In the event that the scholarship recipient has a child after the award of the scholarship, he or she must report said situation to the ANID in order to assess whether the conditions required in this section are met to receive the benefit. This allocation will be conferred in the manner that is granted to the scholarship recipient, according to numeral 3.5, and for the time that he/she declares his/her company with the child under 18 years of age.
Yo. Extension of the monthly maintenance allowance for scholarship holders with pre and post natal permits for up to six months in total, for which they must report said situation to the ANID by presenting a pregnancy certificate in order to assess whether the conditions required in the this numeral to receive the benefit. Likewise, they may request this extension for up to 3 months in total to the DAAD in order to obtain the benefits established in number 4 of these bankruptcy rules for said period. The monthly maintenance allowance extension benefits for scholarship holders with pre and post natal leave granted by the ANID and DAAD will be delivered in parallel, but the medical insurance for the fourth, fifth and sixth months will be granted only by the ANID. This benefit can only be requested during the validity of the scholarship.
J. Single return allowance for a value of up to US $500 (five hundred American dollars).
k. Benefits associated with language leveling in Chile and Germany, according to Annex II.
l. A sum equivalent to the cost of obtaining visas for the scholarship recipient, his/her spouse or civil partner and children, if applicable. The delivery of this benefit will not correspond in the event that the scholarship recipient, or his/her family, is residing abroad before the award of the contest. This benefit is granted only in the postgraduate studies stage itself.
Note 1: The list of benefits is exhaustive, so the ANID will not deliver any additional benefits.
Note 2: To receive the benefits related to spouse or civil partner and children, the scholarship recipient must submit the respective marriage certificate or civil union agreement and/or the birth certificate of the son or daughter. family book where the name of the scholarship recipient is indicated as the father or mother of the same. In the event that the event of the marriage or civil union takes place abroad, this fact must be accredited through the respective certificate of the Civil Registry of Chile.
Note 3: In the case of those scholarship recipients who marry or enter into a civil union agreement or have children during the scholarship, the benefits related to spouse or civil partner and children may be requested, Only during the validity of the scholarship.
Note 4: The return ticket for the spouse or civil partner and children, the maintenance allowance for the spouse or civil partner and children, and the extension of the monthly maintenance allowance for scholarship recipients with pre- and post-natal leave will be granted only to those scholarship holders whose duration of the scholarship is equal to or greater than TWELVE (12) months.
ACCORDING TO THE CURRENT REGULATIONS OF THE DAAD, THE BENEFITS GRANTED BY THE DAAD ARE
1. Benefits of the DAAD for the scholarship holder accepted conditionally upon completion of the German language leveling course, which will be held in Germany:
1.1. Medical, accident and third-party damage insurance for the scholarship recipient.
1.2. A German course for the scholarship recipient (from 2 to 6 months), plus accommodation costs in accordance with current DAAD regulations.
2. Keep in mind that, during the German course in Germany, the benefits granted by the DAAD include only the scholarship recipient and do not include benefits for the spouse or civil partner and children.
3. DAAD benefits associated with doctoral studies:
3.1. Medical, accident and third-party damage insurance for the scholarship recipient.
3.2. Medical, accident and third-party damage insurance for the spouse8.
3.3. Medical, accident and third-party damage insurance for each child.
4. A German course for the spouse3 (up to a maximum of 1,500 euros).
5. An annual allowance for expenses related to studies and research in accordance with current DAAD regulations.
6. Monthly contribution for the scholarship recipient of 100 euros.
7. Monthly contribution for the spouse of 180 euros.
8. Monthly contribution for each child of the scholarship recipient of 100 euros.
9. A trip to Chile during the four years of the scholarship for the scholarship recipient (up to 1,550 euros). Said benefit may only be requested once the scholarship has been valid for two years.
10. Printing costs for the doctoral thesis, if it is published in Germany. (Amount according to current DAAD regulations). This benefit must be requested during studies.
11. It is the obligation of the selected person to know the immigration requirements of Germany, in particular those that allow the spouse or civil partner and dependents to travel while the scholarship recipient takes language leveling courses in this country. It will not be
12. the responsibility of the executing entity of this and other requirements, according to immigration laws of the city/country of destination.
a. The DAAD will not be responsible to the scholarship holders in the event that, due to fluctuations in the exchange rate, the monthly support falls below the minimum required to be in Germany and obtain a visa.
b. Scholarship holders must maintain academic performance consistent with doctoral studies and meet the requirements indicated by the study program. Failure to comply with the foregoing empowers the ANID to terminate the scholarship early and thus put an end to the financing granted by the ANID and DAAD.
c. The benefits granted by the ANID and those contemplated by the DAAD will complement each other. Duplication of benefits will not be allowed or granted.
What are the requirements to achieve one of the Chile ANID – DAAD Doctoral Scholarships?
SPONSORSHIP OF THE GERMAN ACADEMIC EXCHANGE SERVICE (DAAD). Those interested in obtaining this scholarship must first obtain sponsorship from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR DAAD SPONSORSHIP
1. Be Chilean.
2. Possess the academic degree of a bachelor’s degree in careers lasting at least 8 semesters, or a professional degree in careers lasting at least 10 semesters or their equivalent in the case of undergraduate studies carried out abroad.
2.1. Possess academic excellence accrediting at least one of the following requirements:
2.1.1. Have obtained a final average of undergraduate grades equal to or greater than five (0) out of a maximum of seven (7.0) or its equivalent, to obtain their Bachelor’s Degree and/or Professional Title, or
2.1.2. Be within the top 30% of your degree promotion or undergraduate graduation.
2.2. Be accepted to begin doctoral studies at a university or research center of excellence in Germany at the time of applying to the DAAD, which must be certified in accordance with the provisions of section 4.3.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR THE ANID SCHOLARSHIP.
a. Being Chilean
b. Possess the academic degree of a bachelor’s degree in careers lasting at least 8 semesters, or a professional degree in careers lasting at least 10 semesters or their equivalent in the case of undergraduate studies carried out abroad.
c. Count on the sponsorship of the DAAD.
INCOMPATIBILITIES TO BE A BENEFICIARY OF THE SCHOLARSHIP.
1. The following may not be beneficiaries of this scholarship:
2. People who have received a Chile Scholarship or a scholarship administered by the ANID, including scholarships regulated by article 27 of Law No. 1595, by Decree with Force of Law No. 1, of 1999, of the Ministry of Planning Cooperation and in the Decree with Force of Law No. 22, of 1981, of the Ministry of Education, to obtain an academic degree or certification equal to or higher than the one applied for5.
3. However, with respect to those who have received a scholarship administered by the ANID to carry out a doctorate, they may carry out a postdoctorate with a scholarship regulated in Supreme Decree No. 664/2008, and its modifications, of the Ministry of Education, but those who have received a Chile Scholarship to carry out a postdoctoral degree may not subsequently receive any type of financing regulated by said regulation.
4. Those who maintain debts or commitments with the executing entities derived from their scholarship status. Notwithstanding the foregoing, beneficiaries may be those who maintain pending commitments derived from their scholarship status, corresponding only to periods of return and/or remuneration with prior authorization from the executing entity.
5. No one selected for CHILE SCHOLARSHIPS may be a beneficiary simultaneously of more than one CHILE SCHOLARSHIP.
6. The incompatibility indicated in numeral 1 will be verified by the ANID during the admissibility examination of the applications in accordance with numeral 10. In those cases of sponsors where it is detected that the incompatibility is not likely to be corrected6, the application will be declared off-base by the ANID. In those cases of sponsors that it is detected during the admissibility exam carried out by the ANID that the incompatibility is correctable, this situation must be regularized at the time of the signing of the agreement in the event that the sponsored application passes the admissibility exam carried out by the ANID and is selected. Anyone who is selected with the scholarship and cannot remedy said incompatibility, their award will be declared null and void.
7. The incompatibility indicated in numeral 2 will be verified by the ANID at the time of signing the respective scholarship agreement, which is why everyone who is selected with the scholarship and cannot correct said incompatibility award will be declared null and void.
How do I apply?
APPLICATION FOR DAAD SPONSORSHIP
Candidates for sponsorship will have to apply at the DAAD Information Center in Chile and as indicated in the application procedure “Doctoral scholarships with DAAD-ANID bilateral agreement, student grant 2022 ”. Likewise, the applicants must enter, complete and send the information that ANID requests in accordance with these bases. The details of the sponsorship application and the information requested by ANID are available on the website: www.daad.cl and https://spl.anid.cl, respectively.
Deadline for receiving applications: August 3, 2022, at 1:00 p.m. (Chilean continental time).