You have the opportunity to apply for the Confucius Institute Scholarship 2023. The Confucius Institute (Hanban) Headquarters created the scholarship to support the Chinese language and culture and recognize outstanding Chinese teachers and scholars who are currently working at Confucius Institutes.
Table of Contents.
- Types of Confucius Institute Scholarships
- Host Nationality
- Eligible Nationality
- Scholarship Worth
- How to apply
- Scholarship Deadline
Types of Confucius Institute Scholarships
1. Scholarship for a Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese for Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL):
The scholarship application is open for the academic year starting in September 2023 and it can cover up to two years of study. To be eligible, applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree and have achieved a minimum score of 210 on the HSK test (level 5) and 60 on the HSKK test (intermediate level). Candidates who can provide a notarized document showing that they are currently employed are preferred.
2. The Scholarship for One Academic Year (Chinese Language and Literature):
Starting from September 2023, the scholarship will be available for up to 11 months. However, international students who are currently studying in China are not eligible to apply. To be considered for the scholarship, candidates must score at least 180 on the HSK test (level 4) and a minimum of 60 on the HSKK test (intermediate level).
3. Scholarship for one semester (Chinese language and literature):
The scholarship program will commence either in September 2023 or March 2024, and it will last for a maximum of 5 months. Individuals holding X1 or X2 visas are not eligible to apply for this scholarship. Candidates applying for the scholarship must have a minimum score of 180 on the HSK test (level 3) and a required score on the HSKK test.
The scholarship program will take place in China and its objective is to promote Chinese culture to the international community.
The scholarship is aimed at funding rates for international students
The Confucius Institute Scholarship covers tuition, accommodation, living expenses, and comprehensive health insurance. The fully funded scholarship is renewable.
To be eligible for the scholarship, the applicant must be a non-Chinese citizen and must be in excellent physical and mental condition, as well as demonstrate good academic and behavioral performance. The applicant should also have an interest in pursuing a career in teaching or promoting the Chinese language on an international level. The age of the applicant must be between 16 and 35 years old as of September 1, 2023. However, for candidates who are currently working as Chinese teachers, the age limit cannot exceed 45.
How to Apply
- For application, please log in to the ZJU Online Application System and Confucius Institute Scholarship Website to register, fill out the online application form, and upload scanned copies of relevant supporting documents.
Contact the recommending institutions:
- The Confucius Institutes and the Confucius Classrooms have been operating for more than six months. For more information, see www.hanban.org. Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK) testing centers are entitled to recommend candidates for Confucius Institute Scholarships. For more information, please refer to www.chinesetest.cn. Overseas organizers of the Chinese Bridge Competition: education and culture offices (groups) of Chinese embassies (consulates) abroad, the Confucius Institute, and relevant educational institutions.
- The host institutions will review the eligibility of applicants and Hanban will conduct an overall assessment of all applications and admit applicants based on competitive selection.
- After confirming with the selected applicants, the host institutions will publish the admission documents. A copy of the scholarship certificate can be printed from the CIS website. The student must register at the host institutions on the date and time designated in the admission letter.
Please note that applicants for the Master of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) MUST submit all of the required application materials to the Confucius Institute Office at Zhejiang University by the specified deadline. The application package must be clearly labeled as “Confucius Institute Scholarship Application”.
- Zhejiang University Admission Application Form pasted with a recent photograph (white background, 35mm × 45mm in size). Applicants must complete and submit the application form through the ZJU online application system first, then print and sign the application form produced by the online application system.
- Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form.
- A photocopy of the passport.
- Higher grade certificates, which must be original documents or notarized copies. If applicants are university students, they must submit an official undergraduate certificate showing their status and expected graduation date. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
- Academic transcripts during the undergraduate study must be original documents or notarized copies. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
- Photocopies of Chinese domain certificates.
- A personal statement in Chinese or English must include studies and work experience, reasons for applying, and a study proposal, of not less than 1,500 words.
- Two letters of recommendation from full professors or associate professors in Chinese or English. (The letter must include the teacher’s signature, contact phone number, and email address.)
- Published academic papers or other scholarly achievements. (if any)
- International Student Provisional Acceptance Form by Professor ZJU. (if any)
- The notarized employment contract with educational institutions. (if any)
- Applicants working as Chinese language teachers will be required to provide proof of employment and a letter of reference from the employing institution.
a) May 20th (for those starting in September)
b) November 20th (for those starting in March 2023)
Hanban will complete the scholarship review and notify the results three months before admitted students enroll.
For more information, visit the Confucius Institute Scholarship.