There comes a time when young Spanish athletes face a difficult situation when they finish high school. Choose between being professional in your sport or continuing with your university studies.
Why not choose both options? The truth is that in Spain it is very difficult to combine the two things. For this reason, every year more young Spaniards see sports scholarships in the USA as the best option to train at the university while they continue training.
Today, specifically, we are going to talk about athletics scholarships in the USA. Many young people want to get these grants since American universities are very supportive of athletes.
They give them facilities in class schedules and in scheduling exams. And, in addition, they offer the best sports facilities. If you want to know all the details of athletics scholarships in the USA, such as the number of universities that offer these aids, how many young people have obtained them and what requirements are needed to obtain them, keep reading!
WHY THE UNITED STATES?
The aptly named country of opportunities offers the possibility of combining athletics with a university career. These athletic scholarships allow athletes to cover a percentage of their college expenses. There is also the possibility of obtaining an academic scholarship that further reduces the total cost.
In addition, studying in the United States has many other advantages. You will live an unforgettable experience thanks to the American vision of university sports.
You will travel with your team totally free and you will compete in large facilities, you will meet people from many countries and you will greatly improve your level of English. And it doesn’t end here! When you graduate you will have an American university degree that will open many doors for you in the world of work.
MORE THAN 5 MILLION DOLLARS IN ATHLETICS SCHOLARSHIPS IN THE USA
Since 2004, more than 1,700 young people have obtained sports scholarships in the USA thanks to AGM. Specifically, 130 of them have obtained athletics scholarships (88 men and 42 women). AGM has distributed more than 6.5 million dollars in these aids for athletes that allow them to combine sport and studies. With an average scholarship of more than $27,000 per year, the balance left for families is $5,479 per year.
This represents an average scholarship of 79%. These scholarships can cover sports and academic expenses, accommodation, and maintenance (meals). These grants allow them to enjoy training at an American university while continuing to practice their sport.
There are many reasons for deciding to go to study in the USA. Among the main ones, it is worth mentioning the opportunity to study at some of the best universities in the world. The United States has the four best universities in the world, according to the Qs Ranking 2021-2022: Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Stanford University, Harvard University, and California Institute of Technology (Caltech).
In addition, young people who go to study in the USA achieve a bilingual level of English. And their subsequent employment is much faster. They live a multicultural experience that makes them learn to live with people from very different countries and cultures, something highly valued by large companies in personnel selection processes.
MORE THAN 1,000 UNIVERSITIES WITH ATHLETICS PROGRAMS IN THE USA
There are currently more than a thousand universities in the United States that have athletic scholarship programs. Specifically, there are 1,121 universities from different organizations that have a men’s team and 1,745 with a women’s team.
Each university league can award a maximum number of scholarships to its team. Bearing this in mind, each university distributes the number of scholarships it deems appropriate. In the following tables, we can see the number of teams per division, as well as the average number of athletes and the number of scholarships per team.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS TO GET ATHLETICS SCHOLARSHIPS IN THE USA?
Athletics scholarships are offered based on the academic and sports level of each young person:
- Academic requirements: first of all, to get these scholarships it is necessary to finish high school. In addition, you have to take the SAT and TOEFL exams. The better your grades, the more chances you have of getting a scholarship. For this reason, it is advisable to take the SAT twice, since the grades are usually greatly improved the second time.
- Sports requirements: to apply for an athletics scholarship it is necessary to have a high competitive level. The coaches are the ones who offer the aid and scholarships. For this, they are guided by the most recent times and marks of the athlete. Each division has minimum requirements in each test. Brands are usually demanding and it is necessary to have a high level. In the case of Spain, it is recommended to be competing in the Spanish Championships, for example.
HOW TO GET AN ATHLETICS SCHOLARSHIP IN THE USA?
If you are an athlete and you also want to get a scholarship in the USA, the first thing you have to do is complete your information on this form so that our team can make an initial evaluation. In this way, AGM experts will be able to inform you of your options for obtaining a scholarship and you will be able to begin the search for the most appropriate university for your case.
If you want to get an athletics scholarship in the USA, we give you some tips to make your American dream come true :
- Be patient! You should keep in mind that it is a slow process. To avoid last-minute stress, start the paperwork early and do it in an orderly and calm manner.
- Go all out. You have to improve your sports results and, in addition, take care of your grades in high school.
- Do not entertain any doubt. Before starting to manage the scholarship, consult all your doubts with the experts at AGM.