To support the students from South Sudan or Sudan, The Gordon Memorial College Trust Fund in coordination with the University of Birmingham in the United Kingdom offers Scholarship Awards that can help them administer their financial barriers to further their higher education in the UK for the academic year of 2023-2024. The Gordon Memorial College Trust Fund will be awarding an added fund to the successful student, annually the foundation provides £7,000 that can help them cover their shortfalls in their educational funds.
Scholarship Provider: The Gordon Memorial College Trust Fund
About the Provider
The Gordon Memorial College Trust Fund (GMCTF) was laid out over 100 years back and works to advance education for individuals of Sudan and South Sudan by giving little awards to individuals and associations.
Lately, the GMCTF had focused on its mission to support the:
- Supporting associations working to further develop admittance to advanced education in Sudan and South Sudan, and
- Supporting individuals who are attempting postgraduate study in nations adjoining Sudan and South Sudan, or in the UK, and who expect to get back to work in Sudan or South Sudan after the completion of their academics.
The Gordon Memorial Charity Trust Funds is a little charity and is seldom ready to meet the full expense of any research or projects or any individual’s study. Particularly the priority is given to applications for funds where the candidate additionally has funds from different sources. As indicated by the conditions of the charitable inheritances which support GMCTF’s exercises, a significant extent of GMCTF’s funding should be utilized explicitly for the help of women’s education.
The Gordon Memorial Charity Trust Funds is a charity, located and registered in the UK. It is managed by a group of legal administrators and an executive council. Established in 1899 because of a public appeal in the UK to bring funds for education in Sudan. This appeal was followed by the Old English Egyptian intrusion of Sudan and the triumph of the Mahdist state and the burden of pilgrim rule under what was known as the Condo.
The underlying reason for the fund was to fund the development of what turned into the Gordon Memorial College, a world-class educational organization in Khartoum. In the last long stretches of the Townhouse, Gordon College turned into a college; this thusly turned into the ongoing College of Khartoum after Sudan became free in 1956. GMCTF presently works as a charity in the UK. It has profited from various beneficent gifts over the course of the years since the first fundraising, most outstandingly an inheritance from Philippa Maghrabi which is committed to the help of ladies’ education.
- Academic Year: 2023-2024
- Applicant’s Nationality: Sudan or South Sudan
- Degree Level: Postgraduate
- Field: Any eligible field for the advancement of the student’s higher education.
- Number of Awards: NA
- Duration: NA
- Scholarship Awards: £7,000
- Renewable: No
- Offered Annually: Yes
- Scholarship Country: United Kingdom
Before proceeding with the application, the students must be able to meet the following criteria:
- The applicants must complete their first degree
- Must achieve a good academic record, minimum GPA of 3.33 out of 4.0, and an upper 2nd class degree equivalent to 2.1 international qualifications.
- Must have good communication skills in oral and written English and be able to provide evidence of Engish Language Proficiency Test Scores, either IELTS or TOEFL.
- Must be able to approach two referees that can recommend your sustainability to maintain the awards at Gordon Memorial Charity Trust Funds, and be able to ask them to share their information about you on your application.
- Must be able to provide the annual cost of your education cost/chosen course which also includes the tuition fee, maintenance cost, other related educational costs, and your alternative funds as well as the total amount you will request from the GMCTF.
- Must be a citizen of Sudan or South Sudan.
- Must be able to provide information on the visa status
- Can demonstrate their chosen course that can enable them to contribute to the community of South Sudan or Sudan and the intention to return to their home country after their studies.
It is important that before completing the application, all information must be read.
The award will be granted based on the following:
- Academic Achievements
- Referees Report
- English Language Proficiency
- Financial Information
- Your idea of contribution to your future career to South Sudan or Sudan.
- The application impression
- The reason why you chose your course.
- Referees’ reports are important on your application, they should be able to write their report which contains your abilities and skills to effectively further your higher education. If you are already studying in your chosen course, you can only pick one who can comment on your academic progress.
- The letters of recommendation are important to your application, they will assess the application from every individual. The application without the letter of recommendation will not be considered for evaluation by the selection committee at GMCTF.
- The application form, alongside reports from referees, is the premise on which the GMCTF pursues its choice regardless of whether to grant an award. There could be different reasons regarding the reason why an application is ineffective. Kindly note that while applying for an award, specific consideration ought to be given to those segments of the application form managing the reasons regarding the reason why you have decided to study a specific course, and to how you would be capable, on fulfillment of your course, and on return to Sudan/South Sudan, to add to the abilities base of Sudan/South Sudan, the GMCTF’s choice on applications is conclusive, and that correspondence can’t be placed into with ineffective candidates.
The successful students will be awarded up to £7,000 which can help them cover their shortfalls towards their education fees.
Deadline of Application
Annually, the GMCRF offers a small number of awards to deserving applicants. The application will be open from December 1, 2022- February 28, 2023.