The Chinese Embassy which is located in Uganda offers over 30 plus scholarships. All of these scholarship are available from Makerere University. However, the only reason these scholarships will be awarded to students, will be specific individuals who are continuing their higher education and will provide a missions statement based on why they will continue towards a Master’s degree or even a Ph.D.
The scholarships has commenced into the 2022/2023 academic year, allowing for more international students to submit their application, which means more students will become recipients of this scholarship award.
This scholarship is also to help with the socio-econmic ties that China and Uganda has built of the last years. Not only are both countries looking out for their more disadvantages youths who are looking to enter into a higher education study field that will greatly benefit themselves but also their families.
There has never been a better time for Uganda students to apply for this scholarship and receive well over $50,000 USD. The $50,000 USD amount is simply the minimum amount for this specific opportunity.
This will give students the excellent opportunity to learn all of the levels involved with governance in both countries.
Now, Makerere University which just so happens to be located in Kampala, Uganda. This is Uganda’s oldest institution. This higher learning college had first become a school way back in the 1920s. But it would not be until the 1970’s when the higher education institution would become an independent national university.
- Any potential applicant that becomes interested in this scholarships should understand that exact guidelines that are in place. The first important rule is that all applicants that want to apply must already be enrolled at Makerere University. Not invited or accepted, the student must already be attending Makerere University.
- The lowest a student can allow their grade point average to drop is a 2.8. However, a student’s academic year of 2020-2021 will be monitored to see if their academics fell dramatically.
- The enrolled students at Makerere University that wish to apply must come from a relatively poor socio-economic background.
- The student must not have applied to the Uganda Government sponsorship before, nor any other or involved with another public university.
- All individuals that enter this application should be open to be a willing participant in the selection process which will be determined by the Gender Mainstreaming Directorate Scholarship Committee
- The student or applicant should not have any prior criminal offenses on their record
- If the student is already a part-time student they must become a full-time student to be considered qualified
- For Uganda students and citizens only, no international students are accepted
There are multiple requirements needed to ensure by students, that they fit all of the eligible reasoning presented for this scholarship. As a matter of fact, female students have priority of this scholarship and are heavily encouraged to apply.
Students who wish to study government practices or enter into a field that involves government studies should apply for this scholarship.
How to Apply
The guidelines available when applying should be followed as so:
- Students should leave zero blank spaces and spots on the application. The application must be filled out correctly and accurately. If false information is filled in, then the student risks their application being denied.
- The student must present two photos that are the same pixel and size variations as passport photos
- If the student has had their parents pass away, that student will have to submit their death certificates
- O and A level Academic Documents will need to be copied and sent in
- All applicants will need to present their birth certificate
- And there is a guidelines that state how to draw a map of of LC I /Village of residence. Students will need to look more into this aspect and see what the website says so they can follow it correctly.
- Students need to present both semester and their full year 1 academic levels and midterm grades
There are a lot of factors that go into filling out this application, so students should consult the website to ensure that they have not left out anything that is important.
Students will need to send their applications to:
Room 402 Senate Building, Level 4, Gender Mainstreaming Directorate
Also, a side note, this only reason a student would be contacted is to be notified that they have been shortlisted for this scholarship.
Reward – Extra Benefits
The total scholarship offer is around or equal too $50,000 USD since it is a shared university and government scholarship. This will cover tuition fully, room and board, as well as living necessities that any student would need. Along with helping their family with additional funds if needed as well.
The official deadline date is April 1, 2022. This is subject to change as always, however, as of 2022 there has been no word if April 1st is the official date but students should follow that until the scholarship website presents otherwise.
Open Submission Window Time Frame
Students can go ahead and submit their applications, since the open window time frame begins in February. However, students should check to see if the deadline date has change or has been extended, as this has happened in the past.
All students looking for the best universities in Africa can check to see what university may offer the field study they wish to learn about.
This is a yearly scholarship that picks new students each year to become recipients. A student that has become a recipient of this scholarship may be considered for renewal as long as their are available funds for that following year. That student will need to bring up and contact using the contact information presented on this page, to ask if they can renew their scholarship for a second year.
All students should frequently check the website to see if any delays or cancellations of important academic dates have happened. This is the only way to ensure that the student is aware of what is currently happening with the scholarship at hand.