For those early in their journalistic careers who are interested in covering cutting-edge technologies like AI, the Tarbell Fellowship is a great opportunity. The duration of the fellowship is 12 months
The fellowship entails a nine-month internship at a major newspaper, two weeks at a media summit in Oxford, and participation in a study group devoted to the regulation of AI and technical principles.
The Tarbell Fellowship provides a stipend of up to $50,000 to help with the expenditures connected with these roles. Professionals from the industry will be speaking, providing feedback and direction, and seasoned journalists will be on hand to answer questions. When the fellowship is over, the organizers hope the fellows will be ready to contribute their impact-driven viewpoint to major newsrooms and publications around the world.
About the Scholarship Provider:
We provide financial assistance to impact-focused journalists in order to bring attention to and find solutions for the most urgent problems facing the world today. It is our hope that the journalism that we sponsor will be of assistance to the greatest number of people to the greatest extent feasible. We hold the belief that the interests of each and every person are of equal importance, irrespective of when or where they reside.
This comprises a large number of animals that are not human. We think that certain narratives have the potential to help people one hundred times more than others. Tarbell Fellows make it their mission to find underutilized possibilities that have the potential to yield significant benefits. Rather than merely wiring articles that make some difference, finding the very finest topics to cover is their primary objective as a news organization. We are open to new ideas and always work to get to the bottom of things in an objective manner. Tarbell Fellows commit a large amount of time to thoughtfully contemplating and reflecting on their ideas. They do this with the intention of being guided by reason and evidence, even if this requires challenging prior notions.
SeNSS is one of only 14 Doctoral Training Partnerships in the United Kingdom that is sponsored by the ESRC, and they will be offering a handful of fully-funded ESRC doctoral studentships beginning in September 2023. SeNSS is one of the only 14 Doctoral Training Partnerships in the United Kingdom that is sponsored by the ESRC.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Tarbell Fellowship
Scholarship Country: United Kingdom
Scholarship Worth: $50,000
Study Level: Fellowship
Nationality: International Students
- Placement The fellowships typically last between 9 and 12 months and position the fellows at a large newsroom that focuses on AI. The specifics of placement are open to change depending on the medium.
- Bonus money. Under some circumstances, fellows can receive stipends of up to $50,000 USD during the term of their deployment. They expect the stipends to be between $35,000 and $50,000 per person, depending on their location and other factors.
- Very rigorous artificial intelligence training. Before beginning their assignments, fellows complete a two-month training curriculum that introduces them to the fundamentals of AI policymaking and technical management. This online course requires a time commitment of fewer than 10 hours each week. Sessions will consist of readings, paired activities, and speakers.
- Oxford gathering. At the start of their fellowship, fellows attend a two-week-long summit in Oxford. Over the course of two weeks, participants in Oxford and London will have the chance to hear from distinguished speakers, attend informative seminars, and make new connections. We will cover all costs associated with transportation and housing.
The Gustafsson & Skrondal Visiting Scholarship is administered by the University of Oslo’s Centre for Educational Measurement (CEMO). As part of the visiting scholar program, CEMO and the University of Oslo host a number of young researchers from Norway and elsewhere each year.
Eligibility for Scholarship.
- Eligible candidates include young journalists with a passion for social justice.
- The application deadline is not dependent on the applicant’s age.
- The applicant should show that they have a genuine curiosity towards AI and its potential social effects. Expertise in areas like machine learning research, AI governance, or tech journalism will be common among the fellows.
- Enthusiasm is a must in the journalism industry. Working experience in a newsroom is preferable but not needed for this position; experience in a related field, such as law or research, is also acceptable. They value potential above experience and aim to assist young journalists in getting started.
- Possessing exceptional skill with words. The ability to grasp the essence of a new topic rapidly and creatively, along with an original approach to telling tales. Fellows must be able to write compelling copy in a short amount of time.?
- Never stop making progress. The ability to stick with a course of action despite encountering resistance or experiencing setbacks. Successful fellowship applicants will be hard workers with a history of overcoming obstacles.
- Keeping an open mentality. The insatiable desire for the truth, no matter how much it may conflict with one’s existing worldview, behind any and all stories. The fellows are expected to take constructive criticism in stride and see it as an opportunity to grow.
The Tarbell Fellowship Program 2023 for Journalists Worldwide is open to all international students.
If a student enrolls in one of the degree programs offered by SOAS University of London, they may be eligible to receive a fee waiver award in the amount of £5,000. This award is available to students who are interested in receiving a degree from SOAS University of London.
- Is this something in which you could be interested? Visit docs.google.com and search for “Tarbell Fellowship” to submit your application.
- Complete the application form to the best of your ability. Submit a resume, short answers to interview questions, and a few samples of your writing. The 2024 Tarbell Fellowship will run from January through December. The first of October, 2023, is the application cutoff date for this set.
The application deadline for the Tarbell Fellowship Program 2023 for Journalists Worldwide is October 1, 2023.
Applicants should note that this scholarship is renewable every year and prospective candidates can always apply again. However, the deadline is subject to subsequent changes each year.