To encourage the South African Students to fulfill their higher education for the academic year of 2022-2023, the Canon Collins Trust in partnership with the Tom Queba Memorial Fund offers the Tom Queba Scholarship Social Change for the outstanding South African students who will undertake their Master’s and Ph.D. Degree at any eligible university in South Africa.
Higher education transforms society and South Africa’s development depends on strong leadership in key areas. But if the benefits of higher education continue to grow, so do the costs of delay. The lack of funding for postgraduate studies has become a coming crisis and a major obstacle to change. That’s why Canon Collins Trust supported over 4,000 people who have been trained to tackle some of the most pressing issues in modern South African society.
The scholarship will provide an opportunity for South African students who can demonstrate their academic potential and their passion for change toward equitable civil societies, the scholarship will fund the successful student’s academic fees for a maximum of two years and develop their skills, knowledge, and leadership skills through an organized event. A key requirement of the program is that the proposed research contributes directly to social and/or environmental development and in particular to improve the lives of the people of South Africa.
The scholarship will be granted to the students in the following fields:
- Science and Applied Science
Scholarship Provider: Canon Collin Trust
About the Provider
Canon Collins Trust supports the development of Africa by awarding postgraduate scholarships to outstanding individuals in South Africa. Their vision is Southern Africa, where people have the freedom and power to shape the future.
Canon Collins Trust also supports community projects in South Africa to improve access to education. Project partners share a commitment to education as a tool for empowerment. The program re-enters the secondary school system, the Small Projects Foundation to train community health workers in the Eastern Cape, and the Guiyani Science and Vocational Center to strengthen science and computer education for thousands of South-Eastern students.
Annually, the Canon Collins Trust support and provide educational programs, bursary, and scholarships to deserving South African students, the scholars are advised to possess good academic excellence and can demonstrate their commitments to employ their skills to succeed. During the scholarship years of the successful students, collaborating and learning between the civil society, activists and scholars will be fostered.
They are committed to contributing to the new framework of human rights in South Africa by providing education to support the outstanding students and alumni that can form a strong network within the government and civil society. Their partnership enables their scholars to interact with the key agents to change in South African society and link their work’s impact on the excluded and marginalized citizens.
- Academic Year: 2022-2023
- Applicant’s Nationality; South Africa
- Degree Level: Master’s and Ph.D. degree
- Field: Justice, Education, Science, and Humanities
- Number of Awards: NA
- Duration: Two Years
- Scholarships can be taken in: South Africa
- Renewable: Yes
- Offered Annually: Yes
Before proceeding with the application, the applicants must meet the following to be considered for the scholarship:
- The applicants must be South African female students who reside in South Africa.
- Must be in possession of their 1st degree in an equivalent or upper-division or will be about to graduate in the year of their application.
- Must be admitted or studying to a Master’s or Ph.D. degree level at an eligible South African University.
- Must be able to demonstrate their commitment to their education.
Keep in mind that you can only apply if you are eligible and already meet the qualification of the scholarship.
The application can be accessed through an online portal provided by the Canon Collins Trust, all application procedures can be fin in the application form portal.
The application form must be completed before the system allows the students to submit the application form. All the information can be saved draft and the application form can be edited until the students choose to submit it. Personal information may be needed to continue with the application.
It is important that the applicants must have good oral and written communication skills in the English language, the application must have a good presentation, and grammar, aside from that all necessary documents must be attached completely and be able to submit in a timely manner.
As part of the application process, students are required to upload the following to support their application:
- Degree Certificate
- Academic transcript of records
- Identification cards such as passports, driver’s license, or birth certificates
- Proof of citizenship, refugee status if applicable
- Recent payslip if employed
- Doctoral degree research proposal if applicable
The application will not ask for references, however, if the applicants will be shortlisted, they should submit two references with supporting statements from their supervisor, this will be required for the Ph.D. Degree students.
The scholarship committee will be selecting the successful students in the following criteria:
- Academic Achievements– the applicants must have good academic records an honor degree and excellent references.
- Their Future Impact on the Society– Their commitment to contributing to the community
- Related Work Experience– Applicants who can demonstrate their past study career and work during the application.
- Leadership– applicant’s leadership potential and how will their leadership skills developed in their community and in their personal career life.
The Canon Collin trust will be providing the successful students an educational fund amounting to up to $5,000 and will be awarded for up to two years.
The successful students must be able to maintain their academic excellence and progress during the scholarship years to be able to maintain their awards.
The deadline to complete and submit the application is until August 22, 2022. Late and incomplete applications will not be considered.
All successful students will be notified through their email and will be interviewed in October or November of 222, the outcome of the application will be announced in December 2022.