Do you plan to study in China? China has the best programs for you to learn Mandarin quickly and immerse yourself in this incredible ancient culture. Their schools in Shanghai are modern with native teachers and the latest technology to speed up the language learning process. They have a wide variety of programs for international students who aim to access universities in China or obtain academic scholarships.
The China Scholarship Program, which has existed since 1986, supports highly qualified students during a one-year stay in the People’s Republic of China. The aim of the program is to enable interested students to acquire sound China skills at an early stage and thus strengthen German-Chinese relations in the long term.
The program has been financed since 1986 by the Alfried Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach Foundation. The Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China supports the program by covering the tuition fees.
The program sponsors highly qualified students of all subjects (except for the major in sinology, art, design, and music) during a one-year language and study stay at Chinese universities. It offers participants the opportunity to acquire sound knowledge of the Chinese language and society as well as the university and knowledge landscape as part of a two-semester course at a Chinese university and then to gain initial work experience in China through a self-organized professional or research internship. Ten scholarships are awarded annually.
If you would like to find out more about the program, you will find a current interview with program participant Nico Müller here: “A fascinating and multifaceted country with warm-hearted people”.
After the application deadline on April 30, 20 participants will be admitted to a three-week intensive Chinese course, which will take place in August 2022 at the University of Trier and will be conducted by the Department of Sinology there.
From the group of 20 language course participants, the ten scholarship recipients will be selected during a selection seminar that will take place in the first half of November 2022. Their stay in China will begin in September 2023.
Second three-week intensive course at the University of Trier and subsequent cross-year preparatory meeting in Berlin.
Start of stay in China. The application for a study place in China is made via the China Scholarship Council (CSC). The funding recipients can indicate three preferences for Chinese universities. The CSC decides which university to admit to.
After the second semester, you can complete an internship and use the remaining time to travel to China.
- Two preparatory language courses at the University of Trier
- Preparation fee of 1,000 EUR
- Monthly grant of EUR 1,000 for the duration of the stay in China
- Mobility allowance of EUR 1,000
- Travel allowance totaling EUR 1,420 for a return flight
- Admission to the Studienstiftung and payment of the monthly tuition fee of EUR 300
- The tuition fees are borne by the Chinese side
- Open to students of all subjects (except for the major in sinology, art, design, music, and film)
- Very good academic achievements in a broad and intensive course
- Language skills are desirable, but not a requirement
- Prior funding from the Studienstiftung is not necessary
Please also note that the following projects cannot be funded as part of the China Scholarship Program:
- Study visits after completing the master’s degree or state examination, ie the study must not have been completed at the beginning of the stay in China.
- Study phases in China as part of a double degree program
- Study visits to China with the aim of obtaining a Chinese degree (bachelor’s or master’s degree).
- One-semester study visits to China
- Pure internship projects in China
If you are interested in the program but do not have German citizenship, you may still be able to participate if you meet the formal application requirements.
When planning your studies, please note that the program is one and a half years in advance in accordance with the program schedule described above.
Telephone consultation hours and information event
If you have any questions about the program and/or the application, you are welcome to contact the two contact persons at any time by e-mail or telephone. You can reach Julia Schütze (telephone number see below) for a separate telephone consultation on the following dates:
March 18, 2023: 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m
April 05, 2023: 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m
April 06, 2023: 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m
We cordially invite you to a program presentation via Zoom on April 7 from 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. If you would like to participate, please email Ms. Astrid Baron (email@example.com). You will then receive the dial-in data on the morning of April 7th.
April 30, 2023