The American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship not only increases global diversity but also improves access to education and opportunity. The mission of American University’s Emerging Global Leader program is to “achieve, inspire, and serve with vision” by combining the university’s strongest resources in the areas of education, leadership, and international service. The AU EGL is dedicated to fostering positive civic and social change, and its members will use their newfound knowledge to help underprivileged neighborhoods back home. Please join us as we celebrate the accomplishments of our current and former AU Emerging Global Leader Scholars.
About the Scholarship Provider:
Washington, District of Columbia is home to the nation’s capital’s oldest continuously operating private institution of higher education, American University, which was established in 1893. The tuition costs for an undergraduate course at the American University range from INR 41.1 L to INR 44.1 L, while the tuition costs for a graduate course range from INR 23.2 L to INR 47.9 L. 64% of applicants are accepted into the university each year. Every year, overseas students have the opportunity to enroll in programs at American universities at both the bachelor’s and master’s degree levels. According to the rankings provided by US News and World Report for 2023, American University is placed 590th overall.
The Carnegie Foundation recognizes American University as a distinguished research institution. It is committed to developing the field of knowledge by merging innovations from the professional world with those from the arts, social sciences, humanities, and natural sciences. The institution is home to over thirty distinct research centers and institutes, each of which focuses on a particular area of study. The university attracts students not just from all 50 states in the United States but also from more than 140 other countries. Students who participate in the study abroad programs that their university provides during each semester gain an understanding of the wider world.
SeNSS is one of only 14 Doctoral Training Partnerships in the United Kingdom that is sponsored by the ESRC, and they will be offering a handful of fully-funded ESRC doctoral studentships beginning in September 2023. SeNSS is one of the only 14 Doctoral Training Partnerships in the United Kingdom that is sponsored by the ESRC.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): American University
Scholarship Country: United States
Scholarship Worth: $4,000
Study Level: Undergraduate
Nationality: International Students
- To be considered for the AU EGL scholarship, an international student must have a valid non-immigrant visa (preferably an F-1 or J-1 student visa) that will allow them to study in the United States.
- The recipient’s whole billable AU experience, including tuition, room, and board, is covered by this award. All other expenses (about $4,000 per year in U.S. dollars), including necessary health insurance, books, airline tickets, taxes, and miscellaneous fees, are not covered by the scholarship.
The Gustafsson & Skrondal Visiting Scholarship is administered by the University of Oslo’s Centre for Educational Measurement (CEMO). As part of the visiting scholar program, CEMO and the University of Oslo host several young researchers from Norway and elsewhere each year.
Eligibility for Scholarship.
- A student can receive an AU EGL scholarship for up to four years of undergraduate education if they maintain satisfactory academic progress. Any prospective student who is interested in studying at AU is encouraged to apply.
- Take note: the deadline for the 2024-’25 Academic Year AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship is August 31, 2024. Even if you are not selected as the 2024 AU EGL recipient, you may still be eligible for partial merit awards if you apply. Nonetheless, you will need to show proof of additional financial resources beyond the first 4,000 USD you put in. For the 2024–2025 school year, we estimate a total expenditure of $78,296.
- Your application will be disqualified if any of the following conditions are met:
- You are either a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, or you are in the process of becoming a permanent resident of the United States, or you have dual citizenship with the United States and another country.
- You have started or are currently enrolled in postsecondary studies at a university outside of your home country or the United States.
- You graduated high school before the year 2022.
- By August 2024, the Regular Decision application deadline for the AU EGLS program will have passed. Do not bother applying for Early Decision (ED)
- Look at the 2021 and 2022 scholarship opportunities for African students.
- Details on the Emerging Global Leader Scholarship at American University, including when and where interviews will take place.
The following will be highlighted
- International students with compelling stories of overcoming adversity are especially encouraged to apply, as are those from less-represented socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds from all across the world.
- A cumulative 9–12 grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.8 (or rank in the top 10 percent of your class) is required.
- a history of leading by example, volunteering, serving the community, and trying to better the lives of others in one’s own country.
- Students that fit the following profiles:
- To pass the TOEFL iBT, you will need a score of at least 95 (with at least 20 in each section).
- requirements of at least 24 on each section of the paper-based TOEFL exam (taken after May 31, 2017).
- A minimum overall band score of 7.0 on the IELTS; the minimum score on each subtest is 6.0.
- A minimum SAT reading score of 33 is required.
- Minimum ACT English Score of 29
- A minimum of 65 PTE is required.
- a total Duolingo score of 125 or above with no component score below 115.
- a score of 185 or above on the Cambridge English Language Test. Each subscore must be at least 169 to pass.
- Those who will have graduated from high school or another secondary institution by June 2024.
- Students in the IB program should strive to get a full IB diploma by taking at least three subjects at the higher level. By 2024, students enrolling in the British A-Level system would be expected to have completed the equivalent of 13 years of schooling and earned at least three A levels.
- It is also worth noting that the AU EGLS selection process is rigorous. Applicants who apply and submit their Common Application, AU EGLS application, and international admissions documentation by the December 15, 2023 deadline will be given priority consideration. Both proof of English fluency and proof of financial stability in the form of a bank letter are necessary.
The American University (AU) 2024 Emerging Global Leader Scholarship, USA is open to all international students.
If a student enrolls in one of the degree programs offered by SOAS University of London, they may be eligible to receive a £5,000 fee waiver award. This award is available to students who are interested in receiving a degree from SOAS University of London.
- First-year applicants who were hoping to enroll in the fall of 2023 should be aware that the application deadline has passed. Please check back around the middle of September if you are interested in more about the 2024 EGLS application.
- The application for the AU EGLS can be found online starting on September 15, 2023.
- To prove that you have at least $4,000 in the United States, you must submit both a letter from your bank and the AU Certification of Finances (AU CFIS) form. You may send these via fax to +1-202-885-1025, or you may upload them using your Future Eagle Portal. Bank letter samples and an example of the AU CFIS form are provided.
- Results from the TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo, Pearson Test of English, or Cambridge Assessment English Test must be submitted no later than December 15, 2023. American University in Washington, DC requires that you have official reports of your certified English proficiency score sent directly to the Undergraduate Admissions office. Please remind your students that they cannot turn in their work.
- Apply to the AU EGLS program using either the Common Application or the Coalition Application and submit it by the priority deadline of December 15, 2023, or by the deadline of January 15, 2024, at the very latest. It has been brought to our attention that the AU EGLS requires a bank letter verifying a minimum of $4,000 (not $78,296) in funding as part of the preliminary application packet. A student’s application will not be reviewed if it is incomplete or missing required materials by the application deadline.
- If you are applying through a program supported by EducationUSA, or if you have previously received a high school scholarship from the United States Department of State under the FLEX or YES programs, please attach a letter from the adviser at your local EducationUSA center confirming your candidacy. A PDF version of the letter can be requested by writing to [email protected].
- You may still be considered for admission to American University in Washington, DC, and you may be eligible for partial merit rewards, even if you are not one of the finalists. However, you will need to show proof of money totaling US$78,296 before your application can move further. The projected expenditures for the first academic year are shown here.
- Video interviews via Zoom will be held with the AU EGL finalists and winners, or they may be asked to submit more essays. Please contact us at [email protected] if you have any questions
The application deadline for the American University (AU) 2024 Emerging Global Leader Scholarship, USA is December 15, 2023.