Alvin Plantinga, a noted Christian philosopher, who was well known and taught philosophy at Calvin College. Alvin Plantinga has taught for a total of 19 years and at Notre Dame University for 28 years. Both Alvin and Kathleen Plantinga created this incredible $3,200 scholarship to support philosophy students. That is to support student who show great and tremendous promise, when it comes to bringing a Christian perspective to the elusive study of the subject… philosophy.
Students that wish to apply for this philosophy scholarship will need to understand that this scholarship can only be used or utilized as a student at Calvin University, in Michigan, United States of America.
An average Calvin University tends to have a student body population per year of less than 4,000. Where a typical class size is nowhere above 25 students per classroom or course room.
It does go to show that students average with a 3.4-4.0 grade point average for their entire 4-year college career. This means the college is considered a type of competitive school and luckily this means students tend to turn out into the world with a career or job opportunity waiting for them after they have graduated.
The type of majors available at Calvin University consist of:
- Financial Planning
- Human Resources Management
- Marketing Management
- Analytic and Research Marketing Management
- Professional Selling
- Supply Chain Management
- Digital Communication
- Film and Media
- Health Communication
- Master of Media and Strategic Communication
- Spanish Education
- English as a Second Language
- Early Childhood Education
- Health and Physical Education
- Language Arts
- Life and Career Studies
- Special Education
- Teaching Endorsement Program Education
- Graphic Design
- Music Minor
- Exercise Science
- Gender Studies
- Medieval Studies
- Chemical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- The applicants that want to apply for this scholarship should be studying philosophy as their degree major.
- This is for students that are currently entering their junior or last year of college in academic year of 2023. This means they must be applying towards their Master’s degree.
- Applicants that decide to apply, must show that they are financial trouble or come from a low-income background where funding will be absolutely needed for their higher education.
- Both male and female students are eligible to apply.
- International transfer students are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- Students may need to show additional documents if they end up short listed or “wait-listed” which can happen if the university has a higher student population turnout than the previous year. If this happens, students will be contacted via e-mail or phone call about what additional documents need to be shown of sent in. Typically, when a student is short listed there is an in-person interview that will need to happen at the university.
- If an international student has recently transferred they should have their student permit or student visa in working order, that is if they have already traveled and are located near the university. There student visa should have already been issued and in current use.
The biggest requirement that is needed is that eligible students must be studying philosophy and that this must be the major the student is pursuing upon applying for this scholarship.
How to Apply
To apply, students must be current or recently transferred students at Calvin University. This is the best way to apply for this scholarship. In doing so, students that begin their 3rd or 4th year of college at this university will need to sign up for the scholarship application.
This can be achieved by contacting admissions or contacting the info e-mail address that is located in the contact section of this page. From there students will need to send in the exact title of the scholarship so they can receive the scholarship application and send in the needed documents to show that they are a great fit for this scholarship opportunity.
Reward – Extra Benefits
Students will receive $3,200 in funding to help complete their 3rd or 4th year as a philosophy major at Calvin University.
This bit of funding will go towards paying off the last a student’s tuition fees since they may only be completing their 4-year major degree in this subject area.
The only deadline date for this scholarship opportunity is January 31, 2023. The 2022 academic year has already passed by and the 2022 deadline has ended. This means students will need to apply for the 2023 academic school year.
Open Submission Window Time Frame
The open submission window time frame begins at the end of 2022 year and extends until 2023, where the deadline official date is January 31, 2023. This tends to be a fast approaching deadline and students should move swiftly and quickly if this scholarship fits their eligible requirements.
All students that have any questions should consult the Calvin University website first, because this is the best place for understanding how the scholarship works and what is deemed correct or incorrect when applying. Also, if any students have separate questions that do not focus on the scholarship at hand, they can consult the ‘FAQs’ page on the University of Iowa website. Afterwards, if a question has still not been answered the student may contact the e-mail that is provided in the contact section of this page.
This is an annual varied scholarship that helps bachelor majors to find the best ways to fund their philosophy degree.
Students will be able to find out the best payment outcome via the website link associated and located on this page.
Other available scholarships like this one, are from various countries like Ireland, Belgium, Romania, China, Japan, United States, and the United Kingdom. There are multiple scholarships available throughout the world for international students, however, these scholarships are determined to be more rule-based and contain multiple requirements. All student should look through the Pick A Scholarship database if they wish to find a qualifying scholarship.
If students from Tanzania are looking for available scholarships the Julius Nyerere Masters Scholarship is a great one to look into. There are various scholarships available in this area with multiple study areas available.