Vingroup and Nanyang Technological University (NTU) in Singapore signed a gift agreement on November 20, 2019. The signed agreement aims to provide a fully-funded scholarship for talented and outstanding individuals from Vietnam who wish to pursue graduate degree programs in science and technology at NTU. The collaboration between Vingroup, VinUniversity, and Nanyang Technological University sets the groundwork for future cooperation.
The gift agreement between Vingroup and Nanyang Technological University outlines the eligibility criteria for Vietnamese candidates. Candidates under 30 years of age can apply for a Master’s degree, while those under 35 years of age can apply for a Ph.D. in science and technology at NTU. The Vingroup scholarship covers all expenses, including tuition fees and living costs. The Ph.D. scholarship is valued at approximately S$300,000, while the Master’s scholarship is valued at around S$150,000. Interested applicants must meet NTU’s admission requirements, demonstrate exceptional research capabilities, and exhibit a strong commitment to contributing to Vietnam’s development.
Vingroup JSC is one of the prominent private conglomerates in Asia, they operate across various sectors. They have a strong focus on Technology, Industrials, and Property-Services, Vingroup spearheads consumer trends and brings a modern and fresh lifestyle to Vietnamese consumers through its wide range of international-standard products and services. By establishing a reputable and highly recognized Vietnamese brand, Vingroup takes pride in its position as one of the foremost private enterprises in the country.
VinUniversity is a pioneering institution located in Vietnam and one of the nation’s first private, nonprofit universities that adhere to international standards. By blending the models of elite international universities with Vietnam’s distinct cultural and economic traits, the university aims to revolutionize higher education in the country and strive towards global recognition as a world-class educational institution.
About Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Source: Nanyang Technological University
Nanyang Technological University in Singapore is one of the research-intensive public universities that has 33,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students in the field of Humanities, Business Science, Engineering, Social Science, Arts, and more. In addition, NTU houses the prestigious Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine, established in collaboration with Imperial College London, offering a comprehensive medical program.
The university takes pride in hosting world-class autonomous institutes which include several top universities in the whole world. The university is also home to renowned research centers such as the Nanyang Environment & Water Research Institute (NEWRI) and Energy Research Institute @ NTU (ERI@N), further enhancing its reputation in cutting-edge research and innovation.
The university is ranked 11th globally and has been the top young university for six consecutive years. Its main campus is among the world’s most beautiful, and it has 57 Green Mark-certified buildings, with 95% achieving Green Mark Platinum. NTU also has a campus in Singapore’s Novena healthcare district.
- Applicant’s Nationality: Vietnam
- Degree Level: Masters and Ph.D. Degree
- Duration: up to four years
- Number of Awards: NA
- Scholarship Awards: Fully-funded
- Scholarship Country: Singapore
- Renewable: Yes
- Offered Annually: Yes
Before proceeding with the application the students must meet the following criteria. Scholarships are available for Vietnamese students pursuing a Master’s or Ph.D. degree in the fields of science, technology, and engineering, provided they meet NTU’s admissions criteria.
- The applicants must have a minimum honors or equivalent
- During the designated award period, recipients of the scholarship must refrain from engaging in paid employment, accepting any paid employment opportunities, or concurrently holding other scholarships, fellowships, bursaries, or top-up allowances.
- Candidates are required to have good communication skills in oral and written English.
Research Work and Obligation
- Research work at NTU must be conducted as instructed by the Chair of the relevant School.
- After confirming your Ph.D. candidacy, you will be expected to contribute three hours per week to assist with teaching duties in your School. This will be an unpaid responsibility.
- The School may also offer you the opportunity, at their discretion, to assist with academic or administrative tasks for up to 10 hours per week. Compensation for this additional work may or may not be provided.
Students Service Duties from Vingroup
- Master’s program scholarship recipients are required to return to Vietnam within one year of their graduation from NTU.
- Ph.D. program scholarship recipients are expected to return to Vietnam within two years of completing their studies at NTU.
- Upon returning, recipients are expected to contribute to Vietnam’s science and technology industry by either working or serving in a Vietnamese public university, research institute or a member company of the scholarship’s donor.
- The duration of their commitment should match the number of years of support they received from the scholarship.
By meeting the eligibility criteria of the scholarship, the applicants can choose whether to apply through an online portal or directly through the Vingroup Scholarship Application Form. If the applicants choose to apply online it is important to complete the application for the Scholarship form at the application section.
- The scholarship is initially granted for one year and can be renewed based on satisfactory progress.
- The maximum duration of the scholarship is 2 years for Master’s candidates and 4 years for Ph.D. candidates, depending on the respective school’s determination and availability of research funding.
- A monthly stipend is provided to successful graduate students.
- Ph.D. candidates who pass the qualifying examination/confirmation may be eligible for an additional stipend of up to $500 per month. The increase is contingent upon their research performance and meeting the required course standards. The university retains the right to adjust the stipend amount by providing written notice.
- Along with the monthly stipend, the scholarship also covers the annual tuition fee.
The deadline to complete and submit the application for the academic year of 2023-2024 is still open and it is important to check the timeline of the scholarship deadline to be announced by the NTU.