This unique scholarship will be offered to an outstanding applicant who is interested in improving clinical care and outcomes for patients with anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries. It was developed by La Trobe University in collaboration with Medibank.
Adolescents and young adults have historically been told that ACL repair surgery is required to have a satisfactory prognosis after an ACL injury. ACL repairs in Australia have climbed by 74% since 2000 (the highest rate in the world), resulting in direct hospital costs of over $142 million per year. This is in contrary to current clinical trial evidence, which indicates that for most ACL damaged patients, reconstruction has no extra advantage over active rehabilitation (e.g., exercise therapy). In Australia, an estimated $80 million is spent each year on ACL reconstructions that may be unneeded.
About the Scholarship:
La Trobe Institution is a prestigious university in Melbourne, Australia. This university was established in 1967 with a class of 552 students, and it has maintained a strong reputation in the field of research for more than 50 years. It is regarded as one of the best research institutions in the world, ranking within the top 1.3 percent of the world’s 20,000 universities. La Trobe University is now ranked 397 by Times Higher Education and 59th by Golden Age Rankings. It has a well-known track record of scientific research accomplishments. This institution has cutting-edge research labs on both the Melbourne and Albury Wodonga campuses. This institution has Australia’s largest metropolitan campus, with its main campus in Melbourne. Its research park focuses on product development and innovation in conjunction with businesses, institutions, the private sector, and government agencies. The La Trobe University of Research and Development’s Technology Enterprise Centre (TEC) is its beating heart. It also has regional campuses in three different Melbourne locations. Currently, the university houses about 36,000 students, including 7000 international students from 110 different countries. More than 7500 students attend the Melbourne campus, which has locations in Albury Wodonga, Bendigo, Melbourne city, Mildura, and Sydney. This university was ranked 14 in Australia in the 2018/19 employability rankings. This university is proud of its Green Star Communities accreditation, which has given it a 6-star rating. In an employer satisfaction survey, Australians placed this university second in the state of Victoria and fifth nationally for its students’ fundamental and adaptive skills. La Trobe has a well-deserved reputation for generating notable individuals who have excelled in a variety of fields. With almost 200,000 graduates, La Trobe University has produced notable figures in the fields of business, politics, athletics, and other fields. Neil J Gunther, a well-known physicist and computer scientist, Tim Flannery, a well-known professor and paleontologist, and Jacinta Collins, a well-known politician, are just a few of the notable alumni from this university. Work Integrated Learning is a program offered by the institution that attempts to help students gain professional experience and develop workplace skills.
Students can participate in study abroad programs, and students from China, Mauritius, Singapore, and Vietnam can earn a La Trobe degree by studying at one of the university’s partner institutions in those countries. Students can participate in student media in a variety of formats, such as the 3rd Degree magazine and the Rabelais Student Media newspaper. A fully equipped gym, squash and tennis courts, volleyball, badminton, indoor soccer, netball and basketball courts, a swimming pool, and dance and yoga studios are all located on the Melbourne campus. At the institution, there are over 90 student-run clubs and societies, including coding, yoga, Latin dance, music, chess, and many others. Throughout the year, the Student’s Union hosts a number of events. Services dedicated to assisting students When you pick La Trobe, we’ll be there for you with guidance, information, and support every step of the journey. Our aim as COVID-19 has an influence on our worldwide community is to continue to provide a world-class education while guaranteeing student safety. The option to start studying with us online and then continue on campus; an expanded range of scholarships available; access to study support anytime, anywhere; and flexibility and assistance in managing your study load are just a few of the ways we’re giving you more flexibility and support to study with us. The university’s two colleges, arts, social science, and commerce, and science, health, and engineering, provide undergraduate, postgraduate, research, English, and route courses. Students can study a number of subjects at these two colleges, including business, law, biological sciences, rural health, and public health, among others.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): La Trobe University
Scholarship Country: Australia
Scholarship Worth: $28,854
Study Level: Postgraduate
Nationality: International Students
- A La Trobe Research Scholarship of $28,854.00 per year for three and a half years to help with living expenses (2022 rate)
- For up to four years, a fee-relief scholarship is available.
- Relocation stipend plus publication/thesis stipend
- Work with La Trobe’s world-class scholars and take advantage of our extensive professional development programs.
Eligibility for Scholarship.
- fulfill the requirements for admission to the Doctor of Philosophy program (PhD)
- not get another grant for the same purpose worth more than 75% of the stipend rate
- When it comes to selecting successful applicants, we give preference to those who
- will be enrolled full-time at a La Trobe University campus and will conduct their research there.
- hold a La Trobe Masters by Research standard of 75 or higher, or have completed another significant body of research, such as an honours research thesis or lead authorship of a peer-reviewed publication
The La Trobe University 2022 Industry Research Medibank International Scholarships in Australia for PhD is open to all International Students
- Are you both interested and qualified? To apply, go to student-latrobe.studylink.com at La Trobe University.
- If you want to apply for this scholarship, go to our research application website and complete Step 3 – make sure you submit a complete scholarship and candidacy application.
- You are not required to specify a possible supervisor as part of your application; Dr. Adam Culvenor is the project’s authorized supervisor. Professor Kay Crossley will also be on the judging panel
- If you have any questions or would want to express interest in the study, please email project supervisor Dr Adam Culvenor (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Complete and submit your application for admission to La Trobe’s PhD program once you have received in-principle agreement for supervision.
- Indicate in your application that you want to be considered for the Medibank – La Trobe University Industry Research Scholarship (ACL project)
The application deadline forLa Trobe University 2022 Industry Research Medibank International Scholarships in Australia for PhD is May 8, 2022